Crossroads

paradoxstorm

I disagree Ausplosions. Why does the campaign system for Mordheim work and not for Malifaux? I think if there was stat progression, <some> set of abilities to choose from and some way to increase points costs accordingly (Mantic Deadzone) / give the underdog some advantages (Bloodbowl) then there is every reason for a campaign-based Malifaux to work.

D.

I suppose it depends on your definition of work. From my experience the progression in Mordheim resulted in rather unbalanced gameplay especially against crews with less experience than your own.

So the system would provide progression and let you play, but it did not provide a balanced gameplay experience. But then neither did Necromunda. That had slightly different but effectively similar balance problems. Blood Bowl is the only game of that type I know of that comes even close, and it does actually do a pretty good job. But that's also more of a board game than a miniatures game.

But I don't know if sacrificing some balance for a system like this will bother the people wanting to play it.

As long as it can take 5 rounds and has a decent "comeback" system in place (like inducements in Blood Bowl), I'll be more than happy. I mean, blood bowl pretty much explodes after the first league and it certainly doesn't stop people from playing and frankly, I'm pretty sure anybody getting into league play will expect a certain degree of wonkiness with how models develop.

There are also a ton of ways to make it less jarring, like forcing the higher value crew to have to achieve harder schemes or to have to pay more to keep their roster since that Austringer is getting cocky and blowing all the crews dough on the Honeypot.

• Like 1

I'm thinking the easiest way to get a working campaign system would be based on upgrades rather than stats, possibly some equipment (minor upgrades with different limitations), hiring pool, scheme availability/penalties, etc... I think that could be doable, and it would be pretty logical to include avatars in the same book. They could be only available at the highest level of campaign play, but with normal availability for other types of play.

Come to think of it, there could just as well be "penalty cards", or "downgrades", where you had to start a campaign with a certain number of these, and gradually remove them as the characters level up. Come to think of it this could also worn for injuries...