Returning Player (Mei Feng)

Ratvan

Hi Guys,

I posted this in the Arcanists Faction but am currently considering all my options, it's been a while since I last played the game a series of real life events have got in the way but now that life has settled again I am once again looking at getting involved in the game. I have ordered the Rules which are currently in the post but I was wondering if I could gain some advice on my current selection and what would still work well together and possible recommendations for later purchases (since I will have to strip and paint the models from scratch)

I currently own:

Mei Feng

Emberling

Kang

Rail Golem

Rail Workers x3

Union Miners x3

Johan

Mr. Tannen

Mr. Graves

I know that I lack ranged options as well as some mobility so I am thinking of some initial purchases of Oiran and 10T Archers, are there any other Living Models that work well with Mei that are currently released or due to be released in the near future?

Your decision on faction is really just down to whether you prefer the Union Miners (Arcanists) or Messrs Graves and Tannen (Ten Thunders) as the rest of them are dual-faction between the two or can be taken by Mei Feng anyway due to her Infiltration rule (or being a Mercenary in Johan's case).

I think you've got a pretty solid core to get some experience with there so I'd actually advise against buying anything else until you have a few games under your belt and you can see what you feel you're missing.

Oiran aren't amazing but they are fast and 'low threat' so they tend to be good for objective running.  They get a bad reputation on these forums which I think is slightly undeserved; there tool box can be frustratingly hard to get much use out of.  Outside a couple of specific situations I think I get the best value out of them when I only rely on them to move and interact.  This can be made easier if you use other, more threatening models to keep Oiran way down the target priority list; Illuminated seem especially good for this role.

Thunder Archers also get a bad reputation on these forums which I think is completely undeserved; I use them all the time and think they're fantastic.  They actually work quite well with Oiran because you can use low Crows to move them around with Lure if you need to; this allows them to either Focus a shot at something in cover or Rapid Fire into something.  I will say that you have to be more careful using Archers with Mei Feng than usual as they have an irritating anti-synergy with Vent Steam but it can be worked around.

I'm interested why you're specifically looking for Living models to add as most people are keen to use Constructs with Mei Feng to increase the options for Rail Walker.

I'm looking for living models because I already know that constructs work well with Mei and that I can expand by purchasing Ramos' boxset for many of the constructs I need. I also want to paint something that isn't a construct so I can expand that facet of the hobby as well as having a much larger pool of models to pick the crew from.

If you're open to 'not a Construct' rather than specifically Living then I find that any of the Ancestors (Yin, Izamu, Toshiro and Chiaki) have a place with Mei Feng depending on the strategy and scheme pool.

If Living is the requirement then I have enjoyed a lot of success using Illuminated as they're fast minions who are really hard to put down and have an enviable damage track in melee (showing my working: here).  They can either be used to tie up the other crew to let Mei Feng bounce off and do what she needs elsewhere, or sometimes force multiple foes to bunch up in order to finish them off, allowing you to get in with Seismic Claws, Vapourmancy etc.

Obviously these are all Ten Thunders options so you won't be able to use the contents of the Ramos box if you choose this route.

Yes sorry I mean not a construct, I'm sure eventually I'll expand in both factions and multiple masters and Lynch is one that I do find interesting so Dark debts is another option alongside Ramos and to a certain degree Yan Lo although Chi is a lot to get my head around!

Toshiro is worth it as well, another tough to take down Henchmen. Who happens to create stone doggies from all the scrap counters Mei Fengs Crew leave behind (or create with the emberling) :)

Free 5pt models makes my inner-Somer smile ;)

Plus fast rail workers makes them even more dangerous :)