Scheme : Breakthrough.

AnythingBut

Question

I'm not sure if this is a common question but it came up in a game last night between two relative new players.

The wording of the scheme says to place a marker within 6" of the enemy deployment zone. Does this include the deployment zone itself or just the 6" buffer around it?

It came up because the scheme pool included both breakthrough and power ritual which seemed to synergies perfectly together.

Or maybe the wording of breakthrough is specifically intended not to include the deployment zone itself to avoid one marker fulfilling both of these similar schemes?

Thanks in advance for any help.

5 answers to this question

The DZ too. So standard deployment they could be anywhere within 12" of the opponent board edge. If it's within the DZ, it's within 6" of some part of the DZ. Rules are already in place to avoid one marker fulfilling multiple schemes.....as you can only score points for one scheme from any one scheme marker.....no double-dipping.

A spot in the enemy deployment zone is within 6" of the deployment zone, so it can count. When you score a scheme, you remove all markers that are used to score it (a few schemes will remove even more, see plant explosives or spring the trap) so no marker can be used to score 2 different schemes.

As I was typing the post something in my head did think you might only be able to claim one scheme per marker but wasn't 100% sure.

Another question in that vein then. If I were to have 4 markers down in the opposition DZ, two on each side and all within 6" of the corner I could presumably choose how many markers I used to claim VP in each scheme.

In other words I wouldn't be forced to use all 4 markers for power ritual and could instead elect to use two of them for that scheme and leave 2 for breakthrough?

Yes, you don't need to assign a scheme marker until you use it to score. That marker in the corner could be used for Breakthrough, or power ritual, or protect territory, or spring the trap (and so on), or it might all be a bluff and be of no real use at all.