Iron Quill (Honesty): A Balanced Scale

ashenlion

“I’m seriously going to throw you off this train if you don’t start talking sense.”

“It doesn’t make sense. I’d throw myself off if it did.”

The two Guild Guards stared at each other, the elder of the two from what looked like an interrupted meal. The younger one was in the doorway, now and again adjusting his step with each jolt the floor gave. Lightning flickered outside, briefly illuminating the nightscape as the train steadily plotted on. The cars jittered about, causing anyone that decided to stand to take hold of a bar or wall for balance.

The older Guard rubbed his temple and gave a sigh. “Alright Ferris, let’s go over it again. You found a stowaway.”

“Of a sort.”

“And she didn’t have any papers, identification, or give a name.”

“Right.”

“No one saw her enter the train, we haven’t stopped in hours, and all the compartments are locked. You found her sitting in one of the empty cars and she made no attempt to hide.”

Ferris nodded, pushing back his dark hair. “She looks normal enough. If she’s some kind of witch, she probably wouldn’t want attention or would have blown us up by now. And she isn’t setting anyone on fire, if that helps. Maybe a spy…”

“As if it were that simple. We are only shipping supplies that are not even worth looting. Likely she’s someone’s girl that snuck in somehow and no one wants to admit it. But that doesn’t make it less of a problem for us.”

“I don’t know, Senior Yates. It just seems unlikely no one would see anything or lie about it at this point. I mean, the whole point of our passengers going to the mines is to work off jail time. Why add more to it?”

Yates yawned. “What, you expect criminals to be honest? What did you do with her?”

“I let her be, she’s in the third car-”

“How many of these runs have you been on?”

Ferris’s ears turned red. “Alright, so only a few-”

“You’ve got a lot to learn about how things are done around here. Guild doesn’t take kindly to stowaways and be thankful it’s going to Malifaux as opposed to leaving. That makes it more likely we would get only a demotion and a beating instead of getting eaten by some Neverborn or other such nightmare. Anything happens and we are beyond shafted. Last thing we want is some witch hunter bothering us instead of everyone else."

“She’s only a teenager at best. I think the usual procedure is a bit harsh-”

“I’ll decide that, being a senior officer and all. You get back to questioning and don’t be afraid to get rough. Better them then us. And I want men with some semblance of responsibility nearby in case she causes a problem.”

Ferris scowled, but gave a nod and left. Yates watched him move to the other car compartments, sighed, and got up with a heave. Carefully he made his way from car to car, looking into each compartment within as he did. It was late, so most of the prisoners were trying to sleep, each chained to their seat to insure they didn’t cause trouble on the journey. Yates shook his head, thinking that prison might have been better than working in the soul stone mines these poor bastards were heading to. After squeezing past a few more Guards, he made it to the car reserved for them when not on patrol. The girl was still there, a thin little thing in a tattered white dress. Her hair was nearly the same color as her attire, long and loosely hung. She remained silent as the guard came near. She seemed content to look out the window.

Yates suppressed a shudder, the hairs prickling at the back of his neck.  The air was suddenly on the edge of too warm, something that made him even more wary of this trespasser. “I am-”

“The senior officer of the train night runs.” She finished softly, still gazing out the window.

“That’s right. So it’s-”

“Within my best interests to answer a few questions or face additional criminal charges.”

“Stop that.” Yates snapped, the shudder from his neck now trickling down his spine. He felt his hand touch the handle of his sidearm, keenly aware of the smooth wood finish of the pistol as his fingers closed around the weapon. “How-”

“Do I know what you are going to say?”

He drew his gun. “You are truly testing my-"

“Patience.” She looked at him directly. Her complexion was nearly as pale as her hair, but the eyes blazed like golden suns beneath the bangs.  Yates felt his thumb slowly pull back the hammer of his gun. “You try anything, anything at all and I’ll-"

“Shoot?” She murmured. She slowly stood, her bare feet making no noise on the metal of the compartments floor.

Yates swallowed loudly, his mouth suddenly dry. “Sit down.”

She cocked her head to the side, her expression mournful. “You are afraid of me.”

“Yes.” He heard himself say, barely aware of it.

The girl slowly walked forward. “I am not the only one that was forced to be here.”

“What do you mean-”

“So much money passes hands over the heads of those it was meant to serve.” She was now a few feet from him, her face level with his. “Your Guild needed workers fast, too fast to gather true criminals.”

“How did-”

“And not the first time, is it? So many souls sent to dig for their freedom, only to be confined in the treasure they seek to buy it with.” Her eyes burned into his, and he could not stop shaking. 

“Go away.” He whispered. “However you got here, get out.”

She bowed her head. “I am sorry you did not choose a different path.”

Senior officer Yates tried to say something, but ended with nothing as he pulled the trigger.

The bang was loud in the confined space of the car, the bullet entering the exposed flesh where her heart beat below. Blood misted over the glass window, the girl’s body thudded against the wall before she slid to the floor, her expression…

Almost like pity.

Yates stepped back, unable to tear his eyes from the corpse in front of him. His mind was numb, it still trying to catch up with what happened. He heard footsteps approach, and after backing up enough he was able to turn his head. Ferris stood there, his eyes wide. “Are you insane?! What reasons have you to shoot your gun like that?”

“Insane?! Boy, you must be blind to think that thing is-” he stuttered to a halt when he looked back at the girl.

Nothing was there, not a trace of blood or girl.

Yates blinked and put his gun down slowly. “That’s not...I didn't...” He shook his head, trying to clear it, his heart beating so fast it started to hurt. “Check everywhere for this girl. I want her found before we reach the breech-"

“Sir, we passed it a moment ago.”

Yates opened his mouth, and then closed it with a snap. “Alright then. Get back to your post.”

“What about the girl?”

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll handle the report.”

“…So there are no issues to report in regards to the trip?” asked the wheezy Guild clerk.

“Everything was fine. There were some mild hallucinations as we crossed, but no worse than that. Workers for the mines are ready to go, no loss or injuries to report.”

The clerk pushed back his glasses as he scribbled a few notes. After stamping the papers, he pushed the stack towards Yates. “Sign here.”

Yates did so, giving a short groan as he leaned forward on the battered desk. The heat was terrible, warm and thick enough to notice how sticky he felt. He scribbled his signature as quick as he could without even reading what he put his pen to.

The clerk gathered the documents up, looking at the guard. “Are you feeling alright?”

“Yeah, I was up all night so I’m a little winded.” He stood up. “I’m heading back Earthside as soon as there is an opening. If you could arrange for my passage, I’d appreciate it.”

The air was not letting up as Yates left the clerk’s office. The sun was a shade too bright, the movement of the train station too noisy. The pain in his chest intensified. The dull throbbing from last night became sharp and steady with each passing moment. “I just need some rest.” He muttered.

He walked towards the train, trying to see through the crowds even though his sight seemed to flicker and darken with each step he took. He held his chest, giving himself a moment to try and catch a breath.  He tried another step and stumbled, the pain too much for him to stand as he fell to his knees. Blood speckled on the ground, a few drops here and there, his breathe ragged.

People were now looking at him, backing up, pointing, watching. A few went for help. Yates tried to say something, but the pain was too much.

A set of bare feet came into view as he felt a pair of smooth hands gently lift his head.

The girl was back, her face serene. Blackened wings unfurled from her back, and stretched over their heads to mark this space hers. There was no wound on her chest.

Yates tried to say something, but the girl hushed him. “It will be over soon.”

“What are you?” He managed to whisper.

Her face was both terrible and sweet as she looked at him. “I am vengeance. I am absolution. I am woe tempered with a mortal pain. I am balance.” She looked around. “So many are fearful of what you are going through, though they neither see nor know the cause.” Her burning eyes gave way to a sad smile. “Perhaps it is a mercy they cannot.” She murmured, letting his head rest.

Yates wanted to plead his innocence, but the blood was too thick. He could do nothing as the girl slowly walked away, vanishing from his sight.

He could do nothing as the blood pooled around his body.

He could do nothing as members of the guild came forward, soul stones ready for him.

All he could do was allow the scales to balance.

Word Count: 1,745  Ingredients: Theme (in passing), Line, Location, Character (in passing)

Edited by ashenlion
  • Like 1