Victorian City Board

guynamedFleck

Was a field corpsman (combat medic) in the military. Used superglue on wounds quite often when didnt have the time treat them the way would of liked to.

Nice work! I had heard the origin story for superglue but never new anyone that had actually used it in the field!

---

Frank finished up the Bo-At and sent it home with me Friday night. Saturday morning I was up and straight into the workshop for the install! Easy task, ridiculously eventful (read: drawn out) process.

All that needed to be done was to finish painting the water, drybrush the stone work, glue down the boat and pour the water.

A simple concept, but of course I needed to "wash" the water with wood stain and let it dry before the water effect could go down. Of course, the "drying" concept had slipped my mind entirely when I set out to get the board finished on Saturday. So here you can see my attempt to speed up the process... Please note the fan on full blast!

277446_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2076.jpg

I managed to dry the wash in a few hours and was also able to attach and seal the frame for the water effect while I waited.

I mixed up the clear resin and began to pour the water when I came to the realization that the 1 1/2 boxes I had were not going to be nearly enough!

I checked the store hours to make sure michael's was open; I was in luck!

Printed off a 40% off coupon and ran to the car!

Back in business, I quickly mixed up another box of resin and poured it into the harbor.

277447_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2077.jpg

277448_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2078.jpg

277449_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2079.jpg

Lets just say, it is best to do your math ahead of time. There was a lot more surface area then I had anticipated. I ended up dropping 2 1/2 boxes of clear resin into this thing and only got about 1/4" depth. The original board (with its ~2"x10" water section) was poured at 1/2" depth. I wasn't about to buy 5 boxes of resin to match them up. Had I planned ahead, I would have found an alternative resin source, or planned less water area.

277451_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2081.jpg

This obviously wouldn't do for the table, so I had to get creative. A sanding block, dremel polishing wheel and a good bit of elbow grease got things sorted out. I don't have a photo right now, but I managed to put a pretty good angle on the original board's resin. Now it just looks like a bit of a wave rolling into the wall (or like less of a mismatched resin pour).

Anyway, The first 4 boards are complete! I will save the formal unveil for sometime after this Thursday. Malifaux night at the flgs (Art of War; Cincinnati) is Thursday, so Frank and I are planning a Brawl to officially show off the new board. Guild vs Resurrectionists! Fully painted!

I'll take some really nice photo's and post afterwards. Until then, here is a shot including my little side project, the supply wagon!

277453_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2083.jpg

Was a field corpsman (combat medic) in the military. Used superglue on wounds quite often when didnt have the time treat them the way would of liked to.

Nice work! I had heard the origin story for superglue but never new anyone that had actually used it in the field!

---

Frank finished up the Bo-At and sent it home with me Friday night. Saturday morning I was up and straight into the workshop for the install! Easy task, ridiculously eventful (read: drawn out) process.

All that needed to be done was to finish painting the water, drybrush the stone work, glue down the boat and pour the water.

A simple concept, but of course I needed to "wash" the water with wood stain and let it dry before the water effect could go down. Of course, the "drying" concept had slipped my mind entirely when I set out to get the board finished on Saturday. So here you can see my attempt to speed up the process... Please note the fan on full blast!

277446_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2076.jpg

I managed to dry the wash in a few hours and was also able to attach and seal the frame for the water effect while I waited.

I mixed up the clear resin and began to pour the water when I came to the realization that the 1 1/2 boxes I had were not going to be nearly enough!

I checked the store hours to make sure michael's was open; I was in luck!

Printed off a 40% off coupon and ran to the car!

Back in business, I quickly mixed up another box of resin and poured it into the harbor.

277447_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2077.jpg

277448_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2078.jpg

277449_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2079.jpg

Lets just say, it is best to do your math ahead of time. There was a lot more surface area then I had anticipated. I ended up dropping 2 1/2 boxes of clear resin into this thing and only got about 1/4" depth. The original board (with its ~2"x10" water section) was poured at 1/2" depth. I wasn't about to buy 5 boxes of resin to match them up. Had I planned ahead, I would have found an alternative resin source, or planned less water area.

277451_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2081.jpg

This obviously wouldn't do for the table, so I had to get creative. A sanding block, dremel polishing wheel and a good bit of elbow grease got things sorted out. I don't have a photo right now, but I managed to put a pretty good angle on the original board's resin. Now it just looks like a bit of a wave rolling into the wall (or like less of a mismatched resin pour).

Anyway, The first 4 boards are complete! I will save the formal unveil for sometime after this Thursday. Malifaux night at the flgs (Art of War; Cincinnati) is Thursday, so Frank and I are planning a Brawl to officially show off the new board. Guild vs Resurrectionists! Fully painted!

I'll take some really nice photo's and post afterwards. Until then, here is a shot including my little side project, the supply wagon!

277453_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2083.jpg

Finally saw the boards in person last night and they looked fantastic! Was there any additional small terrain pieces/supplies you need? Let me know!

Sure thing, any stuff like "crates and barrels" are always welcome to populate the city. Frank is working on painting up some resin water troths and sacks of food. I've had thoughts about a small market setup for the platform near the harbor. Or a circus setup! Any bits and bobs are welcome to give the table more set up options.

----

Well the demo went really well on Thursday, everyone really gave it a great reception! The boards have taken their official place hanging on the walls ready for use. Frank and I set up a proper 50pt brawl to give it a test. Lady J and Sonnia faced off against McMourning and Nicodem. The board played really well and offered a lot of fun options during the game. Unfortunately, we only managed to get through 3 turns before having to clean up the game.

Friday night I set up the board for another 50pt brawl with another shop regular. This time Lady J and Sonnia took on Ramos and Colette. Not only my first time playing against Colette, it was also my second game against an avatar form! We actually opted to rotate the table 90 degrees and let the Guild defend the city while the arcanists arrived "via bo-at". Much to my delight, the board is also very playable in this direction, as well!

Enough typing, on to the pictures!

280007_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20Demo%2012.JPG

280002_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20Demo%207.jpg

A close up of the various boards.

280005_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20Demo%2010.JPG

280000_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20Demo%205.jpg

279999_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20Demo%204.jpg

280006_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20Demo%2011.JPG

A few shots from the first demo with Frank.

Slightly blurry, but on of my favorite moments during turn 1. Sonnia and crew strolling up Main Street!

279997_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20Demo%202.jpg

Justice and friends arrive via bo-at.

279998_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20Demo%203.jpg

McMourning in stand off at the other end of Main Street.

280009_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20Demo%2014.JPG

A few turns in.

280001_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20Demo%206.jpg

Saturday's game against the Arcanists. Colette and Ramos revue the battlefield from their bo-at.

280003_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20Demo%208.jpg

Most epic moment to date in my Malifaux career, I just had to share a picture! The games random feature, foggy, kicked in for the first time on turn 4 (or was it 5?). Sonnia made an aggressive push towards the bo-at in order to take out a few remaining mannequins assisting Colette. Ramos, activating next, met his requirements to turn into his avatar form, uses leap to jump the harbor and attack Sonnia. Luckily, between the fog and luck, Sonnia comes through uninjured. Activating next, the Executioner charges through the fog and manages to decapitate the unsuspecting eRamos in one swing! Talk about a fluffy ending! Haha!

280004_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20Demo%209.jpg

And that is the end of our epic journey from 2'x2' demo board to a full scale 4'x4' Victorian City... or is it?

Well, perhaps its me going crazy, or perhaps just sticking to the original plan. After seeing the finished 4'x4' board and how much fun it was to play on. I decided to forge ahead with the last 2 sections of the city, the train station!

I started assembling the foundations, here you can see the progress. The raised area of the closer board will eventually extend the full width, but I ran out of foam and didn't have the extra piece when I took this shot.

279993_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2084.jpg

The plan laid out...

279994_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2085.jpg

A lucky find at the dollar store (becoming my 2nd malifaux train courtesy of the dollar store!). Here in place to test the height of the platform.

279995_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2086.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for the encouragement during the first build, hopefully the next two will be just as entertaining!

Quick update.

I finished up the foundations for the last two boards and thought I'd post a few photos so you can get an idea for their layout.

Here are the two boards together with a start of the block work. Also the train for scaling and the framework for the lesser breach administering to the town!

280376_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2088.jpg

And a few close up shots of the train platform framing along with the breach gate.

280378_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2090.jpg

280377_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2089.jpg

There is still a good bit of block work to be done and there will be a considerable amount of shaping done to the gate. I just loved the idea of a train station being built around a lesser breach, eventually leading to an entire town thriving on its commerce. Not sure if my Guild crews would be to happy about the event though, haha.

Hey all, thanks for the comments. I realize I must be slacking if the thread dropped to the second page! My apologies. With the fall tourney scene creeping up I have been quickly painting up models to increase my options for crews (check out my witchling handler conversion in the showcase section!)

Anyway, wanted to do a quick update, however small it may be!

All the painting has made me less than eager to cast the needed hirst arts blocks for the last platform. I did manage to scrap together enough random blocks to complete the retaining wall along side the railway track and spent a good day detailing that. I've also laid out the plan for the tracks. Here are a few shots to give you an idea of the slow progress...

282628_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2091.jpg

282629_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2092.jpg

282630_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2093.jpg

Thats all for now. I hope to get some more work done on it this week, but there is of coarse another tourney this weekend, so we shall see what wins out in the end...

Well, I caught up with my painting and have all of my current guild force (minus the enslaved nephlim) painted up. I also got suckered into the flgs current campaign. The campaign ends sometime around Thanksgiving, so I have set that as an unofficial cut off date for the last two boards.

With that as incentive, I got another good nights work in on the train storage yard (definitely needs a catchier name) board. I opted to save some time and use some rough stone blocks that were already cast to build the platform. For a similar reason, I had capped the retaining wall in the same stone, so I think it ties in the transition rather nicely. The platform is finished, complete with the wooden floor and I also started laying the tracks. Here is the board as it stands.

283486_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2095.jpg

The first of the railroad ties/sleepers.

283487_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2096.jpg

After a few test games with the other platform (and breaking the movable stairs when I forget they were not attached while cleaning up), I opted to attach the stairs to this platform. Due to the location, there weren't many options for a movable set anyway.

283488_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2097.jpg

One last shot down the tracks.

283489_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%2098.jpg

That's all for now, back to the grindstone!

Got another good session of work in on the boards. I managed to finish up the wood floors of the train platform for both boards and laid the tracks.

Next step will probably be the buildings. I'm not sure if I have enough mordheim buildings left to finish the boards as planned, so I'll start with the train station and see how far I make it. I may have to redesign the rest of the second board depending on how far I can make my supplies stretch.

Here is an overall shot of the two boards as they stand. The blank spots on the platform are where the two structures will sit (no use "planking" sections that will be covered later).

283886_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%20101.jpg

A close up of the first board. The original plan had the train running straight to the breech. My turn was a little sharp for a legitimate track, so I opted to add in a split, 1) to help mask the turn and 2) because it made sense as well as added a bit more detail to the space. For the most part the tracks are scratch built, but I had a bit of track left from the train kit I used on my display board. No use spending time steaming and bending balsa when I had perfectly good curved rails laying around.

283887_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%20102.jpg

A close up of the second board. I'm really happy with how the platform came out. I really look forward to seeing the train station sitting on top of it!

283888_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%20103.jpg

The breech is still WIP, I added the top piece last night. I still plan to add more (steam......wyrd-ish) detail as it comes together. I figured a scale shot might be of interest to everyone, so as always, the ever vigilant Rasputina was more than happy to step in front of the camera!

283889_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%20104.jpg

Just as the "Holiday Express" passed through the breech it would seem...

283890_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%20105.jpg

So the question quickly becomes...

How do we populate the train station?

Option 1: Empty Breech.

Just the swirly, silvery blue gate.

Option 2: Engine emerging from the breech.

283885_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%20100.jpg

Option 3: Whole train emerging from the breech.

283892_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%20107.jpg

Obviously with options 2 and 3, the car passing through the breech will be "cut" and appearing from the silvery blue "event horizon".

I look forward to everyone's thoughts and ideas!

I like option 3 with the cars emerging from the breach, but I would place it a bit further out and add a flat car to create a "bridge" across the platform. From a playable point of view it will allow for some LOS blocking as well as a quick way through without wasting turns going over or around the train and it can always be loaded up with boxes and barrels if players want to block the path. Another option would be to have the car in the breach be fixed but allow the other cars to be placed on the tracks as needed with a few different options available.

Nice work. I am loving this project.

Tough call. If you model the train with one car halfway through and cut in half, then your diorama will be stuck that way. Do you really want such a large piece of blocking, immovable terrain there? Even if it doesn't look as cool, you might prefer being able to move the train around more easily or remove it completely without tearing off the gate.

I suppose you could also just pick up a second train- have one that is cut in half and another that is whole depending on the kind of set up you want.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the extended absence, I got caught up in all my other hobby for a bit. On the plus side, I've finished off another 6 models for my guild crew, got a start on my Seamus crew as well as knocked out a few mini's for Pulp City!

Anyway, finally got another bit of work done on the last two boards. I've knocked out the rough construction for the platform buildings. I just need to go back and lay the wood floors and piece in the rest of the platform boards around the structures. The plan was to have two more buildings at street level on the board with the breech, but it seems I have run out of mordheim buildings, so I will have to come up with an alternative.

In the meantime, here is what I got knocked together.

292884_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%20109.jpg

292887_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%20112.jpg

292886_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%20111.jpg

A close up on the train station.

292883_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%20108.jpg

And once again, a shot of the two train layout options.

292888_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%20113.jpg

292889_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%20114.jpg

I think I'm leaning toward the second option. Like most have said, it offers a bit of LOS blocking (and looks cooler). The piece of white card would be a flat carriage exiting the breech so that you could move uninterrupted from one side of the platform to the other. The coal car is flat enough and low enough to make it viable to climb over.

Hope you all enjoy the update!