Shenlong, duels, and Misdirection

Erik1978

Question

Shenlong has Misdirection and High River Style:

Question 1: First off, if I attack someone with double focus, flip 3 cards (10,11,12) and defender flips a (4), does defender choose to cheat before I decide which of the cards I want to use, or do I have to desclare which I'm using so defender knows "how much" to cheat?

Question 2: Shenlong is attacked (Ml + card = 17), and Shenlong has (Df + card = 16 mask) to misdirect the attack. Some poor soul decides to discard 2 cards to not become the new target.

Can Shenlong then use Burning Chi to boost his final duel total to 18, now that he ends up being the target or is misdirect AFTER the final duel total has been established. (I would think so since misdirect is "after attack succeeds against this model")?

3 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, Erik1978 said:

Shenlong has Misdirection and High River Style:

Question 1: First off, if I attack someone with double focus, flip 3 cards (10,11,12) and defender flips a (4), does defender choose to cheat before I decide which of the cards I want to use, or do I have to desclare which I'm using so defender knows "how much" to cheat?

Question 2: Shenlong is attacked (Ml + card = 17), and Shenlong has (Df + card = 16 mask) to misdirect the attack. Some poor soul decides to discard 2 cards to not become the new target.

Can Shenlong then use Burning Chi to boost his final duel total to 18, now that he ends up being the target or is misdirect AFTER the final duel total has been established. (I would think so since misdirect is "after attack succeeds against this model")?

Question 1) Check the opposed duel sequence in the rule book (pg. 26).  You both have to select your cards before moving on to the cheat fate step.   In the event that you both have positive/negative flips, the defender has to decide first at least.

Question 2) Relevant burning chi ability timing: "immediately before determining success, change total".  Relevant Misdirection trigger timing: "after an attack from an enemy model succeeds, do stuff".

Misdirection says right on it "After an enemy attack succeeds".  By the time it comes to resolving that trigger the time for burning chi has gone, you already determined success.  You don't get to backtrack into the duel.

• Like 1

Question 1: the ability sais "immediately before determining succes". I've always played this as the last part in the duel sequence, so AFTER cards have been flipped.

To add further confirmation to this, the steps according to the rulebook are as follows:

1. Declare Soulstone Use
  2. Flip Fate Card and Add Stat
  3. Choose to Cheat Fate
  4. Declare one Trigger
  5. Determine Success

I see "immediately before succes" as AFTER step 4, but BEFORE step 5, which means it's the absolute last thing to do before reaching a conclusion of the duel totals.

Question 2: Misdirection is after you've already determined success/failure of an action. You can't use Burning Chi anymore.