Does Ashes and Dust....have a head?

Fluffaluffacus

Head Hunter
Ashes and Dust.
I'm having a disagreement about the ruling in which amalgamation stops A&D from dropping a marker, but head hunters wording says the model that made the kill drops the marker.
The wording on head hunter is "Whenever a model kills or sacrifices a non-peon model which it considers an enemy, the model which made the kill must place a 30mm head marker with 3" and los of the killed or sacrificed model before removing it from play."
I'm correct in thinking Ashes and Dust still drops a marker, I believe?

59 minutes ago, Fluffaluffacus said:

Head Hunter
Ashes and Dust.
I'm having a disagreement about the ruling in which amalgamation stops A&D from dropping a marker, but head hunters wording says the model that made the kill drops the marker.

What "ruling" are you talking about? 

The wording on head hunter is "Whenever a model kills or sacrifices a non-peon model which it considers an enemy, the model which made the kill must place a 30mm head marker with 3" and los of the killed or sacrificed model before removing it from play."
I'm correct in thinking Ashes and Dust still drops a marker, I believe?

As far as I can tell, part of the problem here is that you're killing yourself with your own words.  The Head hunter markers are not "dropped" by the killed model.

The Amalgamation ability:

Amalgamation: This model is immune to all Conditions and being buried. It does not drop Markers when it is killed or sacrificed.

From the Characteristic rules, one of the places where the rules use the term "drop" in conjunction with "marker":

Construct

Mechanisms of iron, stone, or some other material, these are creatures given a semblance of life. Construct models drop Scrap Markers when they are killed (see pg. 49). It's amazing what a mechanic can do with bits of frost from an Ice Golem...

Living

Living models are the most common type of model, as they include most beasts and humans. If you stop being living, it's likely you aren't considered human anymore. Living models drop Corpse Markers when they are killed (see pg. 49).

Undead

From zombies, to stitched-together abominations, the re-animated corpses of the once living are considered Undead. Undead models drop Corpse markers when they are killed (see pg. 49).

Note the highlighted text concerning "dropping" markers.  On page 49, the rules are consistent and also use the term "drop" in the text for Corpse and Scrap markers.

From the rules for Headhunter:

Whenever a model kills or sacrifices a non-Peon model which it considers an enemy, the model which made the kill must place a 30mm Head Marker within 3" and LoS of the killed or sacrificed model before removing it from play. This Marker may not be placed in base contact with any model. If there is nowhere it can legally be placed, the Head Marker is not placed.

No marker is being "dropped" (either using the specific term drop, or using the mechanical definition embodied in the Marker rules), so Amalgamation has no interaction with the strategy.

Edit:  "drop" is not a synonym for "place" when used to describe an action being performed on markers.  It means a specific type of placement for markers.

Edited by solkan