Getting a structure to paint the miniature

consolas

Hey everyone

I was looking through some tutorials and the people showing off their skills usually use a base or structure to held the miniature up in order to get a easier grip (and no fingers on the miniature itself).

Do you guys glue the miniature to the temporary painting base? Do you "nail" them with a very small piece of steel? How do you do it? I can only imagine the miniature being glued by the feet, for instance. 

Thanks

When I have used something other than just the base of the model it has been when I drilled a pin into the model. In this case I clamp a pin vice onto the metal pin and manipulate the model that way while painting.

Another option is "blu tack" which is a sticky but removable rubbery substance. I wouldn't use glue since when detaching the model from the holder you risk peeling paint form the model or possible breakage.

• Like 1

I put magnets in the bases of my Malifaux models for transporting them. For painting I have strips of fairly thick cardboard with washers taped to them. As I have two magnets in most bases I find the washers (that are almost the size of a 30 mm base) useful as I can spin the model on the strip. For models on 40 and 50 mm I usually use some sheet metal instead (the reason I don't always use sheet metal is that the cardboard strips are noticeably lighter).

When I paint a model before attaching it to the base (and models without bases for other systems, e.g. DZC which is 10 mm tanks and stuff) I drill one or more holes in inconspicuous places and stick wire in them. The other ends of the wires are taped to wooden dowel cut to comfortable lengths.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A large cork or something like a pill bottle with sticky tack is the easiest I've found. Only really works if they're already on the bases though.

If they aren't on a base drilling a little hole in their foot for a toothpick and pushing the toothpick into a cork.