Tell me of Through the Breach

James Mason

I would definitely agree that TtB is similar in play to the Wod series of RPG's. It strongly favors story over combat. The players work toward achieving their individual destinies (generated during character creation). Because of this the group has a definite ending which can be an enjoyable endevour.

Though the group could face a Master, as Mako states it is very likely to be a bloodbath. The combat system is probably the most frustrating part of the game, especially at the extremes.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

""does Through the Breach have a specfic focus or does it just you create characters from tthe world of Malifaux to go off and do whatever they want?"

Fated (The player characters) are special, they are not just your usual plebs who slave and grind away at a monotous life. They have a Destiny that they know is coming for them. They can accept of deny their Fate and in doing so they will shape, for better or worse, both themselves and the world they move in.

This game core is shown in the rules via character creation. When you perform the 'Crossroads tarot' you create both starting Station, Aspect's (Strength, Intelligence, etc) numbers and Skill numbers as well as a piece of narrative. The 5 pieces of narrative combine to create the Destiny of the Fated. During particular sessions the Fatemaster (FM) will create a story that gives a player the opportunity to deny or accept their Fate. At the completion of each 'Fate step' a character will then be able to improve an Aspect or in consultation with the FM create a Manifest Power. it is also possible that during play a player may see parts of his characters Destiny actually playing out and inform the FM of such. meaning they are also preparing to accept of deny their Destiny.

You can play just the steps of your Fate weaving a narrative through that or you could run extra sessions that explore other parts of the world or even open opportunities for a character to undertake an advanced pursuit.

For me Through the Breach for me is very similar to World of Darkness in the way the stories develop and play out. It is focused heavily on storytelling and less on mechanics. The FM has the ability to simply state what is occuring in the world, "The guard shoots you." It is then on the player to flip a card and add their defense because if they don't dodge or duck in time they will be hit as the FM said. It's a bit weird like that but the FM doesn't use cards to do anything. Only the players touch the Fate decks. You mentioned 40K RPG's so I'll assume you've played a few. Same as that line of games there are a few rule clarifications needed and some rules that need a bit of expanding.

The base World and the time it is set (late Victorian) has a lot of great opportunities for different stories to be told. From a narrative point of view a fated could be a hero, antihero or a villain. so it's best to get your group on the same page before setting out. There are horror elements and magic elements and dystopian elements and simple exploration to be done. So I get what a lot of the other posters are saying to date. In a nutshell it is about a character tapping into the unique touch of fate that has been laid upon them to 'cheat' Fate and face their Destiny, for better or worse, head on.

Don't know what else to say other than the group I play with absolutely love the world and concept. Good luck finding what you're looking for.

Kind regards,

Ad

• 3 weeks later...

One thing to consider would be the wide open field for play. The Fatemaster will have plenty of leeway to create creatures and magic to his liking. If you enjoy creating mysterious things for discovery this is the place! Players in our group dive right in with backstory and motivations for their characters, which gives our FM lots to work off of. Our group of 5  had 2 campaigns running nearly all the time since we got the beta files. Now we are 8, looking for more fate decks (LGS's are OUT of them) and playing 2 sessions a week. We have a harlot, a penguin, an Arcanist, a Resurrectionist, 2 Tinkerers, a Chinese acupuncturist and assorted gunslingers and mercenaries as well as construct butler and a flying cat that is a tracker. All of the Fated look forward to what the future brings them with fear and anticipation. We have never had more actual roleplaying in our game than with TTB. 

Edit: the penguin is actually C L O W N which the forum apparently objects to....

• Like 1