Another new player crew discussion

Thrace

Hi y'all.

I'm just getting into Malifaux and was hoping forum members could help me out with some questions. Over the past fortnight I've devoured everything I can find online about the game, and most of my queries relate to the current crossover from 1.5 to 2E.

I'm joining a local games club with a good-sized group of Malifools, and I'd like to get started on building and painting a crew as soon as possible. Having narrowed my choice of master down to four, I'd be very grateful to know which are the best fit for the following criteria:

1 - If I buy the models, will they come with 2E rule cards or would I have to buy arsenal boxes?

2 - If I go for an older starter box, are any of the models unusable / bad fits under 2E?

3 - Are there any miniatures on my lists that aren't likely to be available for a while yet? (I don't want to use proxies).

Also, any comments about my crew selections would be really helpful. I've yet to pick up the rulebook so all these lists have been created after reading the forums and pullmyfinger and using the Wyrd crew creator. 

Choice 1 - Perdita

Latigo Posse boxset

Guild Austringer

The Judge

Choice 2 - Zoraida (Neverborn):

The Hag's Puppets boxset
Voodoo Doll
Ramy Lacroix
Doppleganger
Waldgeist
Stitched Together (These don't appear in the crew creator, so I'm not even sure if Zora can still take them)

Choice 3 - Von Schill:

Freikorps boxset
Hannah
Ronin/Johan/Taelor

Choice 4 - Rasputina:

Children of December boxset
December Acolyte
Arcanist Gunsmiths

Thanks in advance folks!

Hi there, Welcome to Malifaux!

1. The older Metal models will almost certainly come with the old 1.5 cards. Many of the plastic box sets have been updated with M2E cards but the only way to know for sure is if they have the M2E sticker on them (This only really applies to the smaller boxes and the Ten Thunders Crews) The new M2E boxsets will have all the cards for the crew in question but wont have faction specific upgrades. I recently bought Lynch who is a 1.5 Plastic set but he came with M2E cards. All of the wave 1 releases have cards available within the wave 1 arsenal packs though. 

2. All of the old metal models are still usable however many of them have rules that were in the Wave 2 Beta which finished a week or two ago. Their rules will be available for download on this site as of the 10th of February without artwork but these rules will not change. Arsenal decks havent got a concrete release date yet but are predicted to be out around April - May. Personally I think the plastics are much nicer however there is nothing stopping you from using the metal scuplts instead. 

3. Perdita Plastics are expected this month, Austringers are Metal for the time being, Judge is only available in plastic with Lady Justice's plastic kit, failing that you could source a metal one fairly easily. 

Zoraida hasn't got an official release date for plastics yet, all of the other models listed with that crew are available in metal, again, most of them do not have a release date for plastics. Stitched Together don't appear in the crew creator as it currently only holds data for the wave 1 releases. Stitched Together are wave 2 (see above)

Von Schill has no release for plastic box set, there is no sign of a release for Hannah unfortunately, there was a model for her only available for the Through the Breach Kickstarter but like me you will find it incredibly difficult to source one. Ronin are available separately as plastic which is great. Taelor is only available in The Viks box but so are the Ronin so you could kill 2 birds with one stone there. Johan doesn't have an official release for plastic but he does have a pretty cool metal sculpt. 

Rasputinas crew - all of the models listed are available. Raspy has the plastic set as you have mentioned and the others are available in metal for the time being. 

Hope this helps out  :)

MasterDisaster;

Your post was incredibly helpful, thanks a million. I realise now that I was confused about the whole Wave 1 / 2 thing, but you've really cleared it up. It's good to know that if I pick up old minis like Stitched Together or the Gunsmiths they'll be playable from next week and should have cards by May. 

One last question for clarification's sake: Are the rules on the Wave 1 arsenal cards set in stone, or are the Wave 2 boxes going to be the 'full edition', so to speak, with rules for both waves?

Your welcome Thrace, glad to be of help. 

As far as I am aware the Wave 1 cards are clad in iron. There have been a few issues with one or two of them which needed to be updated via FAQ/Errata but for the most part any of the stat cards found within the large rulebook or Wave 1 arsenal packs are done and dusted.

As for Wave 2 I believe these will contain all the cards for the models included in the Wave 2 beta and possibly the rules for Avatars (Wave 3 Beta due to start 14th of Februrary) and some additional faction generic upgrades (Also Wave 3). As previously mentioned every model available will have rules for download as of the 10th so you can start to play around with what you like then and really get stuck in. Be aware though some models released within Wave 2 were brand new and so do not yet feature metal models so proxying may be required in those cases. Examples of this are Shenlong's crew in Ten Thunders and Ironsides' crew for Arcanists. 

Copies of the updated Wave 1 Cards can be found here - http://wyrd-games.net/community/files/file/22-malifaux-card-updates/

The Lastest FAQ/Errata is in the Download section of this site but here's a link - http://wyrd-games.net/community/files/file/21-malifaux-2e-faq-errata/