Some boards

Abide

great looking terrain... I just ordered 4000 wood coffee stir sticks so I can start on my scenery. Going for an old west / ghost town style and I want to make 8 or 10 pieces, plus some crates and maybe a corral to add in somewhere.

I really dig the train... is that an O scale model RR piece?

Why not just buy the pre-formed balsa or basswood sheets to create the clapboard? Much easier than trying to recreate it your self (I did it myself and it sucks!!!!).

Why not just buy the pre-formed balsa or basswood sheets to create the clapboard? Much easier than trying to recreate it your self (I did it myself and it sucks!!!!).
LOL, yes it would be far easier... but I got the stir sticks for under $4. Add some glue I already have at home and a few hours of my time... I will have a whole new board and only spend $5 over and above what I already have.

Well, maybe a little more if I need some wood for the board supports... but otherwise... you get the idea.

Had I not found the stir sticks so cheap I would have gone with balsa strips and used a ball point pen to draw in the wood slats. Or just bought premade buildlings, LOL

I'm sure I will curse them along the way, but I really enjoy making my own scenery.

Somehow though my 40k buildings just don't fit the mood... ;)

Thanks Ausplosions, that was a very useful post!

Train's just an o-scale New Bright Christmas train from the thrift store. Took off the tank and made a flat deck for better playability.

There's 2 or three more passenger cars, but that makes it too big an obstacle to get over/around, it's 3' long in total.

I've used them all when we move the train onto the board one car each round.

The two wilderness boards are usually used with another building on them, but I did try to stagger the cover so there were no long firing lanes. I was playing Guild's Judgement and didn't find I got too shot up.

The western town, I only used buildings that were complete and painted, have a few more waiting on me to get to them.

The sewer board, that's half of the crate maze that's in the box but it tends to handicap slow and melee based crews with so much water. I need to redo the tiles with maybe half as many channels.

Check out the event link, I think the action pics tell a better story than the pre-game pics.(plus you can see the mine in the big hill piece)

Also keep in mind these were 35ss games for a charity event, so the goal was to keep it light and fast, I don't think anyone really played for the win

Edited by Abide

I wouldn't redo the tiles as they look great as they are. I would make more scatter terrain for optional crossings and interesting choke points. So more wooden bridges of varying width (30mm, 40mm, 50mm) and some built up waste that can only survive a certain amount of crossings.

Another option is to build up using platforms and walkways above the surface of the sewer.