How to strip resin models?

mattausten86

I would think that if Castrol works on metal and plastic, it should work well on resin as well.

could very well but resin is tricky. Test on bottom of the mini first cause not all resin mixtures the same. A cleaner that works on one mix will soften the next.

I see Mephiston mentioned youd have to order it, but if do simple green has been tested by enough us that you have zero worry of damage and works great.

Edited by harbinger

Castrol? as in the car stuff???

cheers

matt

It isn't technically "Castrol Super Clean" anymore, as Castrol (the motor oil etc., company) sold it, so it now just says "Super Clean" on the big purple jug that looks otherwise identical. It's an Automart cleaner that is biodegradable and safe on most plastics, so its popular for the media it can work on and the fact it can be poured down the sink. Use gloves though, it is also good at eating skin.

I have used both Simple Green and Pinesol to strip paint from my Avatar Seamus without incident. I recommend them over the Castrol Super Clean.

When I did it I soaked the model in one for about 5-10 minutes then brushed it under running water then soaked it in the other for 5-10 minutes and scrubbed it again with the tooth brush under running water. I just repeated it until I got all the paint off. It may take a few cycles if you use an actual primer rather than glorified spray paint.