Adventures in mediocrity

Boshea

So with the photobucket update a while back, my mini gallery is basically impossible to organize now. So I'm going to start going through and re-uploading everything I have done to a new gallery. With that, its easier to start a new painting thread than update the links in my old one. I do have a few models I haven't posted yet, but I figured I'd start by polling on what I should post up for my next project. Beyond getting a Misaki box done to hopefully use for convention demos and finished my Hellcannon for WHFB, I don't really have anything planned. As for big projects I have kicking around there is my Hamelin crew, my Ortegas along with some odd Guild models, some second hand Neverborn I need to repaint, and a ton of unpainted Mercenaries for my Viks. There is also the giant pile of non-Malifaux stuff like my Necromunda gang, Bloodbowl team, and my Khador but I kind of have everything focused on Malifaux for 2.0.... Well except Bloodbowl if our offline league starts early.

Edited by Boshea

The extent of Arcanist I own is Johan. Waiting to see what Ramos is looking like for 2.0, and he'll likely be my first Arcanist crew. Big fan of the box Ramos design, but plastic spiders/steamborg would be nice. I've heard horror stories about assembling the metal ones.

Hamelin, or at least his avatar is likely going to be jumping ahead of whatever wins this poll. Was trying to figure out what to use for my bard in dnd, and completely forgot about my Hamelin crew until after the first session. Gonna have to make him removable from the big scenic base to put him on a 30mm for dnd.

Just for you Bleachman

20130528_161938_zps6c613e97.jpg

After I realized that the colors I was planning to paint his leathers were basically the same colors I just used on my hanging tree, he became the second mini that has been airbrushed. Just need to do up his details and the base (would do the base too, but don't have the color for the airbrush) by hand. Have him on a Confrontation style 30mm base since they don't dip in. This made putting the magnets in easier. I also have magnets on the middle section of his scenic base for when I want to do up the whole model. Was really hard not to paint him up like a Red Mage, though the feather is likely going to be red as a compromise.

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

103_2620_zps66190338.jpg103_2621_zps97796049.jpg

I need to seal him, and take a non-crappy picture before I consider him done. Over all, not bad for 90 minutes. I'll try to get the new mini gallery up by Friday.

Edited by Boshea

I just want you all to know that I'm very grumpy over the results of the pole.

103_2622_zps16e47462.jpg

Still need to figure out how I want to base him, then need to redo the entire mini gallery. Should have it redone by next week. As for the Neverborn batch here is what I need to work through.

Zoraida

Voodoo Doll

Siluridis

Terror Tots

Young Nephilim

Mature NEphilim

Lelu

Lilitu

Insidious Madness

Pandora

Sorrows

Poltergeist

Candy

Kade

Depleted

Bad Juju

Coppelius

Doppelganger

Primordial Magic

Stitched Together

Black Blood Shaman

Most of it needs to get stripped, so I'll be starting with the bare metal stuff first. That'd be the Zoraida crew and the depleted. I need to make more bases for the Depleted first though.

Still procrastinating that Neverborn. Mostly because neko finally got his Fantasy army off the ground, so I figured I should get some paint on the few things I have left.

20130608_110932_zpsf26ed4f4.jpg

Wanted enough done on him to get him all together. Need to pick up the flesh-tone and green I used in the airbrush to do a few touch-ups, and paint the unfortunate souls he has captured.

Just to prove that I am actually painting Neverborn

20130608_212409_zps03f02aa6.jpg

I named the top one "Jazz-Hands". If I was smart I would have broken them apart for painting, but I'm also lazy so just sprayed at awkward angles and will touch up later when I get the colors. Also in continuing my trend of painting things to specific background noise (My World Eaters were painted to Emilie Autumn's Laced album), all my Neverborn is being done with The Joy of Painting in background. Mostly because learning to airbrush is a series of "Happy Accidents". My skin tone dry tips like a bitch though. Working on getting my old gallery redone before doing more on them.

Edit-New Gallery

Things that never got posted in my old thread are at the end of the gallery. Based Alt.Seamus, Avatar Seamus, Alt-Viks, the Beckoner I didn't post in the league thread, and Mr.Graves. Not going to post images since there are a lot. Forgot the joys of photographing my models and seeing everything wrong on them.

Edited by Boshea

That's a lot of Neverborn to strip and paint. Teddy looks very good in those bold colours; a long way from mediocrity in my opinion. Have you had any thoughts on the basing? I believe you could get away with a fairly restrained base since the miniature is so eye-catching.

I name my threads mostly for laughs. I forget where I heard it but the trick to every artistic medium is thinking you're bad enough to improve, but good enough to keep doing it. Its more the matter of do I want to do an outdoor base, rubble base, or urban base. If I want to do an urban base, and possibly rubble base, then I'm going to have to remove him from the base first. I'm not too sure how well attached these are.

Yeah I got a lot of Neverborn when a player moved. I also have another Teddy that I'll likely sell cheap whenever a local decides to start Neverborn, and I had a second Madness that I gave to neko for his Kirai crew. Fairly certain it put me back to owning more Malifaux than my entire player base combined.

Decided to do Zoraida and her Voodoo doll while I wait to get paint to finish the Silurids.

20130611_205005_zps1af99d50.jpg

Still need to do more work on the bases and wash them, but can't really do more until the glue dries. Also want to look them over with fresh eyes before washing. Need to cover up that the doll's insert is sticking out so much. Would have just broken it out and reset it, but it looks like that was already done once and I'm afraid I'll snap the base if I try. So probably just make a little rock for him.

Also got started on Grumpy's base

20130611_204210_zps0b12e0d1.jpg

First base I've done with this negative, and like it a lot more than the ones I used for my Lynch crew. With my Lynch crew I made a negative of a bunch of mosaic stickers that I spaced out to look like tiles. This was just taken from some embossed scrap booking paper that I got at work. Was really impressed that it took the pattern so well.

So funny painting story from a while back. I was hanging out with a friend at the FLGS while he was painting some high elves. Another person walks up and asks him why he is painting his gems the way he was. Now you need to understand that this person is a bit of a tit when it comes to painting. Reasonably good, but thinks he's better than everyone else and knows more. So my friend just starts giving some BS response about light sourcing and such to make him go away, and it works fairly well. My response to all this was that you could just paint it one color and gloss coat it for natural light source. I swear we saw a small piece of that person's soul die after I said that.

Edit-I'm also fairly certain that Bob Ross is a Wizard.

Edited by Boshea

Zoraida, Voodoo Doll, and Grumpy are done. Gonna Spoiler my updates when they are image heavy.

Fan brushes are awesome for doing washes. If you have a large area it gives great coverage I find, and then you can just touch up the places that it can't reach. Flocking over the tab and jamming the cork under his foot really hides how poor the voodoo doll was inserted.

Got Juju all primed, just need to figure out what I want to do with him. Hopefully getting at least him and the Silurids done this weekend.

Next project

20130618_192423_zpsc6ee21b3.jpg

Went and did Shang up in white to do fire faster. Also got a bade of white on Ototo and Misaki's energy trails to make painting them up faster. Not sure what colors I'll do for the energy though, likely Blue but that is also how I do Sonnia's fire. Doing them all on water bases, so that'll be different. Was going to do bamboo, but that would involve painting them separate from the bases which is a huge pain with the plastics (small feet so harder to put a temp pin through). So going to give that bottle of still water I have a try. Due to their sizes Shang and Ototo are going to be done different. Ototo smash, and Shang's cork is going to be done like shore edge. As much as I love the 10T yellow and black scheme going to do something different. I like practical colours for my Malifaux so looking at doing a dark blue with dark grey accents. This will give them a nice stealthy look. Also avoiding the book scheme because Yellow is a bitch to paint. Going to get SHang done first since he's quick, but need to get Ototo, girl ninja, and fat ninja done after that since they're getting used in my Animaritime demo. Then its Taelor and a pair of Ronin before going back to the 10T box.

Shang done. Spent more time doing the base than him.

20130619_153214_zps5be2e711.jpg20130619_153225_zpsf97a4e8f.jpg

Also got the first Torakage pretty much done. Decided to take a pre and post-wash image to see the differences.

20130619_151405_zps52092349.jpg20130619_152907_zpse553c2a9.jpg

The grey really came around after the wash fully dried. Gonna go back and brighten up the blades, but mostly just need to figure out how I'm painting the base then start adding the water effect. Thinking Mordian blue.

Beyond going over Taelor's gems after getting her sealed these are close enough to done to post them. Hopefully the two crews will go over well at Animaritimes for the demos. I don't really know why I decided that one of the Ronin would be rocking Akuma's Gi. Maybe its because they can Flurry currently.

10T bases are still a work in progress. The still water is still really milky, and I'm hoping it will clear up eventually. If not then I'll mask it by trying to make the water look more rapid.

Also decided to start painting the outer edges of bases in faction colours, instead of trying to have a unifying colour on each model. So far only Ototo has been started, but I'm not concerned about getting this all done before Saturday. Need to get a good orange for my Outcasts, and figure out a good way to do dual-faction bases.

• 2 weeks later...

WiP shot of my current project

20130711_201253_zpsee262aa3.jpg

Canoness for a painting contest. Originally when I decided to get involved in the contest it was only Privateer Press and GW products, but its since been expanded to include Malifaux. My Misaki box is eligible to be entered, but I've misplaced their receipt to enter them (can likely get a copy of it if I check the date I got them) and I'm not overly happy with how the water bases I've done so far turned out. I do have about a week left to finish them if I change my mind, but I don't think I'd have enough time to complete the water bases on the remaining two models. The contest is kind of a mess in my opinion. Weird sizing categories, allowing squads when the rules imply single model, and the entire thing being decided by a public facebook pole. Whatever though, its a reason to actually put effort beyond tabletop quality for once.

I did initially use the contest as an excuse to get my SoB army off the ground with the Canoness so may as well just stick with her. This is actually my second attempt at painting her since I ruined her with the last wash I gave her forcing me to start over. Looking into the Vallejo wash line since it looks like their Pale wash is exactly what I've been looking for. This is also the model that I wanted to do a flame base for, but never seemed to get it to look right. Just stuck with a simple ruble base with an extra piece of cork to have her stand out a little more in a unit. Going to look through my bits and see if I have anything to add to the base for a little more character (likely skulls, because warhammer). Colour scheme is Order of the Sacred Rose, since doing my entire Khador in a white colour scheme wasn't already stupid enough. So far completed the white with the airbrush, and have the robes done up. Need to do the accents, accessories, and her head. After that touch up places and give it some wash/shading. I really like how striking the colour scheme is with the contrast of the white armor and black/red robes. Debating how I'll do the accents. Either going all gold to indicate rank, or a mix of gold and silver (gold for fleurs and seals, with silver for rest).

The model is a nice change from the dark colours I do most of my models in, and it has tons of character. I usually go for dark colours since they're more forgiving to paint, and I find dark denims and leathers suit my Malifaux models well. It also gives my ideas on how I want to do up my Raging Hero models when they arrive next year to compliment the Sister's colour scheme. While I have the Kurganovas already, Commissars never share colour schemes with the company they are assigned to. Likely going to do them in the classic Red/Black combo, but having a hard time deciding how I'd do a guard colour scheme that would compliment this well.

tl;dr: Painting canoness for contest. Finishing Misaki box before going back to the Neverborn. Maybe finishing my demon prince before that depending on upcoming events.

Edit-I sometimes wonder if I'd get more posts if I didn't write essays about what I just painted.

Edited by Boshea

Some more WiP shots of canones "Yet to be named"

20130712_190801_zps4d3ca090.jpg20130712_190815_zps15aad261.jpg

All that's really left to do before touch ups is finish the mouth, add script to the seals and book, and paint the base. Hands are a getting a little shaky so calling it a day for now. I already see lots of places I need to touch up before wash/highlight but want to go over the model with a fresh pair of eyes before fixing anything. Decided on primarily gold of accents since it'll help her stand out better in the army, and I like the contrast of white and gold. I think I'll look into a little bright gold though for the armor. Balthasar is a little too dark, and I think Burnished will be too bright.

Detailing done.

20130713_211721_zpsb059d118.jpg20130713_211732_zps607bbe47.jpg

Now to debate if I'll wash the white. The reds, blacks, and flesh is easy to wash, but white has been more failures than successes. Going to grab the Vallejo Pale on Tuesday and try that if I do. Forgot how nice my Space Wolves Grey was for drybrushing black. The stuff is basically puddy at this point. The fur drybrush isn't very noticable, but may go with a different colour or do it after washing.

And done

Canoness_Scaled_zpsbfc68df8.jpg

Going to seal it after the contest. Pretty happy how it turned out overall, but I can see two little things I missed. The base needs a small touch where the blood is and missed a small spot under the fur. Whatever though, I'm probably the only person who submitted a full 360 shot. The grey knight head is a reference to one of my original avatars on the forum.

Sisterhat_zpsadc6878c.jpg

Will probably try to do at least one sister actually like that for laughs. At the very least it solved the problem of the base being too bare.