MrPapa13579

What is all this talk about avatars that I'm seeing? My first box sets are on the way (Ortega and Lilith for me and the wife to fight with) and I have the 1.5 rulebook from the website, but it makes no mention of avatars or rules concerning them.

Are these rules in a different expansion book? As someone who is just getting into Malifaux how big of a role do avatars play in the game? Would I be at a serious disadvantage using them if I tried to play a pick up game at my local club one day?

Depends on the Master. Avatars were released in Book 3, Twisting Fates. In general an Avatar is a sideways shift in power. For example, Rasputina turns fom being an amazing caster into an ok caster and an ok melee model. In most cases you are not going to be at a decided disadvantage for not using an avatar over someone who is using one.

There are a few masters that, in a competitive sense, really want to have their avatar because they are just flat out better than their normal version. The avatars that you will see most often brought whenever a particular master is run are:

Seamus

Ramos

Sonnia Cridd

Nicodem

There are a few others that often bring their avatars because they are really solid choices, but those four are the only ones that I see that almost never play the master without the Avatar.

Edited by Fetid Strumpet

(Why wouldn't one play Nico without his Avatar, I wonder... Reanimator is just too good. Ohwell, this is alittle ot, so PM me if you have the time/arguments about this, Fetid Strumpet. Would be educational, to a mainly Rezzer).

Like Strumpet said, the Avatar changes the Master, not better but just different. The shift to Avatar is optional to a certain degree and it is another option to consider. Mostly the Avatar, from what I've read, take the Master's "theme" and amplify it ( Nicodem is truly the Zombie Master; Seamus is even scarier, Lilith really controls the haunted forests and nature of Malifaux and so on), so that while losing other aspects that make it in some cases more flexible, it gains other abilities that affects a larger area.

Twisted Fates tells the whole story, including new Minions. A very good book imo. And the Avatar models are mostly very awesome. :P