New Player, needs two crews to face off

Addam

Hi all,

I'm brand new to the forums, and don't own anything Malifaux related (yet). I am looking to set up a couple of crews. In all honesty, I will likely need to provide everything for two players if I ever want to play the game, so that is what I am tackling.

So the question I have, is what two crews could face off repeatedly without one side being overly dominant?

The crews I am most interested in are the Ressurrectionists under Dr. McMourning (though I've done enough research to know that the starter box set is not the best purchase for this crew, instead leaning towards canines instead of nurses), and the Freikorps. Would these crews fair well against each other? The appeal to me the most aesthetically, but that is not as important if one will constantly crush the other. Thanks for any responses.

Schilly and McM are fairly well-balanced against each other in my experience, but it really depends on what models are taken. Each crew can gain advantage over the other by using certain models that are more difficult for the opponent to deal with. But the good thing about these two crews is that they are fantastic starting places to branch out into other masters in the factions.

Yeah, I know the crew taken can be what makes the difference, but I'm glad that at a glance you think they would be good starters. There is so much in the Ressurrectionists that will be fun to expand on, so I think I'm going with them for sure.

Thanks for your reply.

ETA: Also, does anyone have any advice on Sebastion vs Rafkin if I am not buying the box set?

Edited by Addam

I don't really play Ressurrectionists, but I like Sebastien more. While slow, bringing Igor with a Buzsaw is too much fun. He can get a lot of body part counters if he connects , and can summon a dog or two . The Freikorps set is fantastic , it is an amazing starting crew and you could hire Von Schill with Mcmourning if you like both a lot. For Mcmourning, consider getting his totem and rouge necromancy.

Keep in mind that McMorning can be played as a summoner or a hitter. The crew you build will really determine what he is better at.

I purchased the VonShill box for my "play against" crew and it has been wonderful. I would recommend it or the Ortegas (Perdita) as the second crew if you're mainly looking at Ressers as your main.

If I remember correctly, the Freikorps box is 26 stones whereas the Ortegas are 24. Build your McMorning list and the pick up the one that is closest in SS cost.

How dos this sound as a starting crew for McMourning?

Dr. McMourning (Alternate)

Zombie Chihuahua

Canine Remains x 3

Bette Noir

Rafkin

That would be 30 soulstones, but I'll also grab a Flesh Contruct II in hopes of bring it in during the round. I realize this probably isn't a tournament winning round, but I think it would be fun enough for casual play? Also worth noting that I am purposefully avoiding getting anything that comes in the Body Thieves box set, so that's why I went with Rafkin instead of Sebastion. I think he still works with McM?

When my wife and I started playing it was a McMourning crew vs. a Lady Justice Crew. We each had the box set and I got my butt kicked repeatedly by Lady J until I dumped the nurses and picked up some canines and other models. I think that a Perdita crew vs McM would be a good way to go. With that one you would want to just pick up the box and then perhaps add abuela or if you wanted to add more melee perhaps an executioner or something similar.