Samuel Hopkins dojo...

phatheadaf

So,

I've hardly been playing the game long enough to be creating dojo, but I wanted to run something by the board and see what everyone thought.

Anyone ever try playing Sam w/ Lady J? Seems like a better fit. If I'm building that crew to deal w/ Resurectionists (which I know is noob cliche but just go with it or now), he would seem to be an upgrade from the Judge at least at my current point level, which is 25 SS. Here is my thought:

The Death Marshalls can bury Sam, which helps him get to where he needs to be in the game, w/o danger of being offed before he can pop off. Also, all the Resurectionist Masters/Henchman have a CA o 6 or higher, which triggers Arcane Hunter. Also, I'm thinking I can pick the Frame for Murder scheme which would reward me if somebody kills him.

Seems like plausible tech... Thoughts?

A.

I just finally got Samael, and I think he'll be a good fit in almost all my Guild crews. I've thought about pairing him with Sidir (for extra Df and cover, plus two really big guns on the table) and seeing how that goes with various masters. Expensive combo, I know, but so is Guardian/Santana, and I love that one.

Mr Hopkins puts out a huge amount of ranged damage, and is capable of killing most masters.

Unfortunatly he is relatively fragile, and after someone has been on the end of his shooting once, they plan to deal with him before he can ever do it again.

If you can get him to hit a couple of times in a game, then you are probably going to get your points worth from him though.

He can work will with Justice, and its certainly worth considering. After all what ever heads up to kill him can easily be dispatched by Justice.

Depending on who you are facing, Framed for murder only works if he is killed by opposing master and a lot of crews are capable of getting minions to kill him.

It is certainly worth playing. Especially if you're not buying new models to do so.

I don't expect to see him in all lists, but he certainly can be the best tool for the right job.

Sam is begging for the Kill Protegee scheme with an average defense and nine wounds with no special defensive abilities. But if you get him in position and he starts opening fire, he can really do a lot of damage - especially if you soak up cards and other resources with the rest of your models. If you can soften them up a bit and leave their hand weakened, Sam is capable of blowing a lot of masters out of the water with Arcane Hunter, Blazing Bullets, and ignoring all cover penalties. Fun but risky!

I have had to nearly stop playing good ole Sammy in my local meta due to the amount of attention he attracts paired with his wet napkinesque durability. That said I still love the guy.(even though he is wearing high heels and main spell eludes to his "flaming" nature)

I would rather pair him up with the executioner than the guardian for 7 points as it really discourages anyone to get close to Sam along with discouraging someone from plinking off the executioner from range. That and now you have 2 powerhouses on the table ready for Lady J to inspire for ridiculous cb shenanigans.

I have had to nearly stop playing good ole Sammy in my local meta due to the amount of attention he attracts paired with his wet napkinesque durability. That said I still love the guy.(even though he is wearing high heels and main spell eludes to his "flaming" nature)

I would rather pair him up with the executioner than the guardian for 7 points as it really discourages anyone to get close to Sam along with discouraging someone from plinking off the executioner from range. That and now you have 2 powerhouses on the table ready for Lady J to inspire for ridiculous cb shenanigans.

So you are suggesting running both the Executioner and Sam in the same list? Currently my Meta is running only 25 SS games, so perhaps I can do that at the next level. That said, when Sam dies are you getting him killed at ranged or in melee? I presume by bringing the Executioner your attempting to dissuade people from closing, but does that keep him alive?

Interested to hear your thoughts...

A.

I usually will opt to leave him out of a list at 25ss as he is just too expensive, 2 death marshals can shoot about as well with much more durability for the same cost without a target on their back.

From what I have seen, usually people will try to tie up Sam in mele with a mobile cheap minion to cover a master/heavy hitter who is too slow to deal with him until next turn.

All in all don't expect to keep him alive the whole game against good players, the trick is setting him up for his one round of glory. Some fun tricks could be had with Lucius or the student of conflict enabling him to get in range to rapid fire. Positioning positioning positioning.

Yeah, we're pretty mean to ol' Sammy around here. Although it has earned Enki's Samael the distinctions of "Most Frequently Made to Wear a Tutu" and "Most Likely Reason for Kill Protegee" in these parts.

In a low SS game, take some mobile, cheap minions to screen for Samael, and fortunately, the Guild has a lot of those. Guild hounds offer the lovely benefits of giving back SS and being some of the fastest cheap minions in the game. This will help with activation control, which can let you activate Sammy later (at 8SS he eats a ton of your activations) and will take potential ranged offenders out of the equation. Alternately you could bring some Guild Guards(!) to Cordon and Halt! for him, so he's not so readily accessible of a target for melee bruisers.

A list to consider:

Guild Crew - 25 - Scrap

Lady Justice
--
6 Pool

Scales of Justice [2ss]

• Guild Guard
    [4ss]

• Guild Guard
    [4ss]

• Guild Hound
    [3ss]