3D Printing Technology

Acefisher1

So in my office today we were discussing 3D printers, and the Makerbot. I got to thinking about people casting their own models, and then about how Wyrd has moved into resin materials and using 3D sculpting methods for their production already.

I don't think it would be much of a shock to see Wyrd lead the charge into using 3D printers to produce models, as well as start offering 3D printer plans of models to print with various poses, rather than physical models themselves.

I doubt i'm the first to come to this conclusion, but I wanted to get some feedback from the community on their feelings and hopefully hear from Wyrd to find out if this is a path they're looking into already, or may be in the future.

For reference, check out MakerBot and the Flickr Pool where people are already printing a lot of their own toys.

Wyrd is a miniatures company, first and foremost. They developed the game afterwards. Couple that with the informal and formal statements that they have issued with regards to others making models for them and you will ultimately be left with an, "absolutely not going to happen."

HOWEVER, Wyrd has partnered with WorldWorksGames...a company that prides itself on exactly what you suggested. Designing quality product that an end-user can print and assemble on their own is exactly what they do. Even given this, though, Wyrd has maintained full control of the TerraClips line. You can't even get the designs to print an extra static floor. Although they are similar to existing WWG print and play products (Himmelveil line,) they are not the same.

Would I like to see Wyrd allow us to print our own poses? Absolutely. It is just not something that I see Wyrd allowing, ever. Another reason why it wouldn't work is that Malifaux is already a niche market. Stores in my area, at least, are already furious with Wyrd's recent business practices. Imagine if Wyrd were to license the ability to print models on demand directly to the end user; thus bypassing the need to ever buy another model from LGS. Do you think an LGS would ever allow another card to be flipped in its store?

Edited by xKoBiEx

Honestly, I agree that Wyrd would not go to the "print your own" market. That being said, there are already people out there who are doing 3D printed pieces for other miniature games (you can find some stuff on Shapeways to customize GW miniatures for example and there is an entire wargame you can get off of Thingiverse.)

Good call. Unnofficial releases from 3rd parties are great for conversion work.