Coffee on the edge of town

kiwiterrain

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you use for your water? I have been having issues getting my stuff to any reasonable depth.

woodland scenics realistic water,

i would not use this stuff again it was about 6 pours to fill about 4mm deep, over 1 1/2 weeks to do the swamp

iv found that it you sit models on it for a long time (more than a day) they start to sink in

i would use resin next time i do water terrain

its great for bases, but i dont use sunken bases so i only have 1mm to fill

Ah I see, I have been using Secret Weapon realistic water and it suffers from the same issue, I am using sunken bases and it takes at least 6 to fill those. Resin has a bad habit of yellowing over time (I have a lot of experience with this at work) and it is very hard to track down ones that wont yellow while also not shrinking or taking days to cure. Let me know if you have found any that suit. I think I know of one but it isn't cheap either...

For water effects there are a few options that work really well:

For shallow depths (puddles and such) Woodland Scenics Realistic Water is great however as you point out loses its luster with deeper pours. The big advantage to this product is in the precision with which it can be placed and it excels at creating "sheens" of water or "faux water" effects (water effects painted on a flat surface that rely on painting to create the effect of depth). I have used it on some sewer boards to create "wet-looking" sewage canals.

For deeper water (say more than an 1/8") it is really hard to beat Envirotex Lite. The product can be a bit of a pain in the ass to get the mixture right due to the small quantities typically used (graduated pipets will help a lot). Also be aware that "curing" can take a very long time (at least 12 hours and 24 is usually a safer bet).

Another product that is good (though could also ruin a paint job if it is applied incorrectly) is Woodland Scenics E-Z Water. It is a "Hot" product so you will need to be careful with melting paint (follow the instructions and dont get in a hurry and you should be fine). The biggest advantage is it dries very, very fast and has a slight yellowish tint that aids in the realism of swampy scenes.

To aid in creating more realistic water effects (ripples and other moving water features) you can also apply Woodland Scenics Water Effect to any of the above mentioned products. Drying time is about 4-6 hours however the great thing is that you can apply it to plastic wrap then remove it for use later (this is how you create waterfalls and such).

The last things you can try are Hot Glue, White Glue and Silicon Caulking. These however provide vastly inferior results to the above products (due to shrinking and clouding mainly).

Hope some of that helps out.

Ah I see, I have been using Secret Weapon realistic water and it suffers from the same issue, I am using sunken bases and it takes at least 6 to fill those. Resin has a bad habit of yellowing over time (I have a lot of experience with this at work) and it is very hard to track down ones that wont yellow while also not shrinking or taking days to cure. Let me know if you have found any that suit. I think I know of one but it isn't cheap either...

i was hopeing you would know, was going to quiz you next time i saw you