Harlow Marshall Law League

DrBlowBack

Dear All,

After a strong recruitment drive we now have enough players to form a league!

We will be playing at Harlow Gaming Club (http://www.harlowgamesclub.co.uk/)

on a Tuesday night @ 19:00hrs starting from this Tuesday (29th January 2013) and are happy to accept any other players would would like to join in from around the area or other clubs.

Address:

The Norman Booth Centre

Elderfield

Mulberry Green

Old Harlow

Harlow

CM17 0EY

Please see out facebook group for updates and the Rules Pack for the Tournament - http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/groups/195253710530311/

Shameless ripped off from the Marshall Law format, we now have the Malifaux Harlow Marshal Law League.

Play 6 games within the 8 week period and then join in for the final grand battle, a straight knockout tournament, played on a Sunday at the end of the league to be, there will be some prizes (Dependent on the number of entrants) and certificates at the end, but we all know it's about the fame and not the fortune.

We welcome any and all new players to the club and esspecially the league.

Please contact me (michael@parkinson.co.uk) if you have any questions.

Let the Mayhem begin!

With thanks

DrBlowBack

Hi All,

Well the first week was interesting to say the least Summary (well sort of) below:

Malifaux Harlow Marshall Law League – Week 1

Summary Of Games:

Winner: Matthew Best (The Dreamer) / Loser: Michael Parkinson (Von Schill)

Score : 4 – 0 / Territory Lost: Slums

Winner: James Evans (Lady Justice) / Loser: Phil Staker (The Ortega’s)

Score: 6-0 / Territory Lost: Mountains

Winner: James Broadwood-White (Ramos) / Loser: George Hellard (Viktorias)

Score: 4 – 0 / Territory Lost: Mountains

Outline of games:

Matt vs. Mike – The Dreamer vs. Von Schill in the Slums

Strategy: Shared Treasure Hunt

A game of madness, mayhem, a psychotic Teddy Bear and an over enthusiastic pyromaniac.

Both crews rushed to objective in centre, Von Schill was then ganged up on by Teddy and Lord Chompy only then for both to be heavily damaged by the flamethrower dude, a few turns of general melee before lord chomps then ran off with objective and Teddy takes out 3 models and stays in opposition deployment zone (to cancel out the scheme). Lord chomps gets killed (damn flamethrower dude again) but dreamer runs off with objective and just manages to elude the Freikorpsmann even after flipping 2 extra turns.

Only Ted and Dreamer from my team survived and only librarian, flamethrower and 1 freikorpsmann from other.

The flamethrower dude was very impressive for Mike. Getting a critical hit on Chomps, Teddy and two other minions. For The Dreamer, Teddy taking large amounts of damage but regenerating and taking out 2 Freikorp Trappers and a Freikorpsmann.

For The Dreamer - either Teddy for killing 3 models and tying up the trappers or Coppelius for tying up 3 models in combat and eventually killing the steam fitter (admittedly in his own death throws). Overall though the Flamethrower dude did a huge amounts of damage, admittedly due to very good flips (red joker etc) but was unexpected.

James vs Phil – Lady Justice vs The Ortegas in the Village

Strategies:

Lady Justice – Treasure Hunt

The Ortegas – Turf War

Incident report dated the 29th January, reporting officer Marshall Haines.

We travelled out from the outpost in order to retrieve the items for Lucius (treasure hunt strategy). Myself and Marshall Reeves thought that it was odd we were travelling in such a heavily armored group. We had 2 witchling stalkers and a guardian automaton with us. I’ve never really worked alongside the stalkers before, they are certain creepy little things hidden under those rags. No one I know has seen underneath those rags, we have no idea what’s under there.

As we were waiting to find out who our commander was, a large figure entered the room. This guy was huge, massive metal claws. He sat down next to Reeves and I’ve never seen him sit straighter. Standing at the front of the room was Lady Justice. I’d seen her before but never this close. I hadn’t even seen her enter the room.

We listened to her outline the nature of the mission. There was something important we needed to get from some small farming community. There were obstacles we might encounter by way of a group of gunfighters operating in the nearby mountains (Phil’s Ortega Crew). We set out that soon after and managed to get within viewing distance of the community. Lady Justice told us to approach it quickly and quietly, to be prepared for an ambush. We made our way to the centre of the cluster of buildings. As we were making our way to the items we noticed the gunfighters making their way towards us.

As we advanced to the pieces, Lady Justice saw the gunfighters leader (Phils master was Perdita Ortega). She went for her, swinging that great sword of hers. The gunfighters leader dropped to the floor quickly after that. One of the stalkers made its way to the items we were after. It even managed to pick them up before being shot by one of them. It exploded, it actually exploded. Never would have expected that. The big guy with the claws was the second of ours to fall, shot by one of them with some sort of rifle (I think Phil had the scheme grudge targeting the executioner, who was killed by ranged strikes). Took him out of the fight, but he’s a big solid man so we think pull through and be ok.

There was also some crazy guy running round with dynamite strapped to him. Dynamite, all over his body. What will people think of next.

Reeves died though. He managed to get the items Lucius sent us for, I didn’t even see what they were. He passed them onto the surviving stalker who made a run for it. Then the rifle wielding guy turned up and shot him. Shot after shot hit him, yet somehow he managed to take out the rifle wielders buddy.

In the end we were victorious. We managed to complete our mission while stopping them advancing further from the mountains (Phils strategy was turf war, his gambled territory was mountains, my scheme was holdout) towards the nearby guild run tavern (my gambled territory was a large tavern). We even managed to clear out their little nest in the mountains to make way for a small outpost there.

The biggest surprise was the automaton (the Guardian, my man of the match). You wouldn’t think it by looking at it, but that thing can take some punishment. Also, there is some sort of magic behind it, which makes those around it able to sustain hits that would normally kill them. I think that was part of the reason the big guy took so much punishment, probably what kept him from dying completely, even though I suspect it is going to take some major work to get him on his feet again. Without it, I think with the amount of lead flying at us things would have gone a lot differently.

James vs George – Ramos vs The Viktorias in the foot hills

Strategies:

The Viktorias – Claim Jump

Ramos – Line in the Sand

Over a small, wooded valley with some ruined buildings the Arcanists came, determined to draw a line in the sand using high explosives.

The Outcastes, who owned a piece of the nearby mountain range, realized they had left some important goods hidden in the abandoned tower. The outcasts opened the game with a fool hardy sprint for their goal where as the Ancanists stalked into the valley. There was much steam and hot air as the Steam Borg shrouded the on rushing spiders with a blanket of steam.

The outcasts tried a few pot shots, but most bounced off heavy armor. Then the steam borg was in among them throwing the crew left and right before decapitating and wasting the renegade steam fitter. Then as abruptly as the assault started one of the Viktoria’s silenced the demented Cyborg. As the dust settled there was a rumble as the ground heaved and the soul stone miner erupted near the crew using an exploding soul stone to seed disruption into the outcast crew, while the spiders activated the explosives.

Again the outcasts rallied and dismantled the clunking monstrosity and charged the remaining arcanists with bishop piling in to a swarm of little blighters... Unfortunately he stumbled and failed to destroy them and was paralyzed then was overcome by the clanking bugs... all the while Ramos was making his own surprise, and electrical Creation floated into the remaining outcasts shocking them then exploding in a hail of shrapnel. He followed this up with an electrical blast and finishing with a second electrical creation.... this floated into the midst of the outcasts and detonated killing the last of them... when the dust settled all that was left was the clatter of a swarm of spiders and a very pleased looking Ramos, who calmly activated the last of the explosives that where near to the carnage.

Classic Moments:

- Bishop being pulled down under a swarm of spiders

- Victoria taking out a steam borg in combat

- 2 x electrical creation for dealing 16pts of damage in 2 turns by exploding

Malifaux Harlow Marshall Law League – Week 2

Summary Of Games:

Winner Loser Score Territory Lost

Winner - James Evans (Lady Justice) vs James Broadwood-White (Ramos) / 6-2 Lost: Abandoned City Block

Winner - Matthew Best (The Dreamer) vs Phil Staker (The Ortega’s) / 8-0 / Lost: Research Facility

Draw - George Hellard (Viktorias) vs Michael Parkinson (Von Schill) / 2-2 / Sewers – Salted

Mountains - Salted

Outline of games:

James vs James – Lady Justice vs. Ramos

Strategy:

Lady Justice – Distract

Ramos -

Incident report dated the 5th February, reporting officer Marshall Haines.

The mission briefing for this date was surprisingly vague. We were briefed again by Lady Justice, who kept it incredibly brief. We would advance through the abandoned city block (James’ territory) towards the Bayou (my territory). We were to engage any enemy forces as necessary (Distract strategy). No big buy at this meeting, must still be recovering. We did have someone else, sat with the witchlings. They seemed a lot more responsive and attentive with her around, must be one of the handlers I’d heard about.

People who work with the stalkers, magic users of some sort. Now I understand the need to use a little magic every now and again, it helps give us an edge over the Arcanists. I still can’t bring myself to trust those who use it to much, even if they are part of the Guild.

We moved through the city block mostly safe. We had to scare off a few miscreants, but we were heavily armed so nothing we couldn’t handle. We sent this one guy packing, there was something a little odd about him. The stalkers were sniffing around him, I didn’t realize until the handler sent them after him. Lady Justice told us to follow them, knowing how the stalkers go after magic. We followed them through the streets of the city block, we turned a street at there they were.

Standing there was one of the Arcanists, with a selection of constructs. We use constructs here, but ours are different they are powered by steam and clockwork. Theirs are powered by magic, something which is so dangerous. The leader, the only one we saw that looked even vaguely human. He sent a swarm of spiderlike constructs, something that tunneled through the earth beneath us and a steamborg. A steamborg, I’ve only read the reports about them, never faced one in person. They are meant to be monstrous opponents in combat, survivors telling of how they kill.

It charged Lady Justice. I thought even she was going to die. This monstrosity swung its claws at her and she blocked it. Not only did she block it, she managed to bring her great sword round and gutted it. It fell in a smoking heap on the floor in front of us.

The spider constructs died too, not sure how as at the time I was too busy trying to avoid the tunneling thing. It eventually emerged and was cut down.

At this point I was feeling pretty confident. We outnumbered them anyway and at this stage we outnumbered them even further. I think we were too overconfident, that was our problem.

The Arcanist joined the fight.

He summoned something in the middle of us, which went straight at Lady Justice. He targeted her, sending bolts of flame at her. She fell and fell hard. It took a lot to put her down, but we couldn’t check on her when she did. You must understand, with the danger this guy presented we didn’t have time to check our fallen we had to deal with him. We rushed him, even the Guardian. The witchling Handler also went for him too, holding another big sword. We thought that between the two of them they could take this guy down. We were wrong, it was a brutal fight.

We tried to take this guy, especially after what he did to her, but his magic was defeating us. If it hadn’t been for the sound of our oncoming reinforcements I don’t think we would have survived. I don’t know if he managed to escape us, or we let him go because we were unable to keep hold of him, but the fight had left us.

We checked our fallen, Lady Justice was alive but gravely wounded. 

Matt vs Phil – The Dreamer vs The Ortegas in the Village

Strategies:

Matt - Treasure Hunt / Schemes: Grudge (Santiago) / Break Through Both Announced

Phil -Contain Power / Schemes: Hold out / Bodyguard (Mama Ortega) Both announced

Winner - Matt 8 - 0

Summary:

The sun beat down heavily over the field. Nino, standing in the shadow of the tower, shifted nervously, sweat dripping from his brow. Glancing round he felt his resolve strengthen as he saw the grim determination in the faces of his family.

Suddenly, in the distance between one of the ramshackle huts and a low stone wall a movement caught his eye. He could make out a shambling figure.....made out of stitched tighter cloth....skins...he couldn't tell but a shiver went up his back as without warning a dark threatening fog started to emit from the figure. Soon all sight of the creature was gone. 'The Dreamer' giggled to himself as one of his friends moved forward and blew out fog around him. With a childish shriek of joy he flew forward to stand next to the hut. His other friend shuffled forward to stand next to the wall and produce yet more of the strange ominous fog. Behind them all a strange round, blue figure with a D on its pointed hat laughed and skipped behind them.

Dammit, no shot. Nino sighed and, holding his gun ready for the first sign of movement, followed Santiago's lead and moved directly towards the fog being careful not to get too close. Determined not to let any of the Neverborn past him. This was guild work and Nino was determined to prove himself ready. Perdita saw Nino and Santiago move forward towards the bend in the stream and closer to the now fully obscured area by the huts.

Swearing quietly to herself she motioned Franciso, Mama and the obnoxious guild lawyer to try and flank creatures to be able to get a decent shot. Still no sight into the fog,

Perdita knew this wasn't good but kept moving and tried to keep the worry from her face. The fog gradually drifted away in the airless heat to reveal the terrifying sight of the neverborn monsters. One of the 'stitched ones' shuffled out from the cover of the huts to the side of the stream, but before anyone could get a shot at it more of the fog rose to enshroud the creature.

Signalling to move, Perdita strode across the stream and over to the dirt road, She knew they were spreading out but she had to risk it. Silently she prayed that they would be able to take these monsters down. Mama, Franciso and the lawyer crossed the stream but Perdita was still ahead of them. Without warning the earth near by started cracking and out of the depths two creatures emerged. A grey skinned monster in old, dusty clothes.

Hunched over but long limbed and odious in appearance. As soon as he appeared he darted towards Mama and Francisco, seemingly to float across the lush grass. Once up close, the creature lashed out at Mama Ortega, paralyzing her where she stood. The creature turned and struck at Francisco, ripping his eye from his head. The bloody eye in its hand stared at its former owner before bubbling and melting through the grey bony fingers and onto the grass below. As the molten eye hit the grass a light blazed and a diminutive figure stood looking dazed but with malicious intention in its eyes.

The other creature pulled itself free of the earth...it was a Teddy. The blue oversized stuffed toy ambled forward towards Francisco its huge maw filled with needle sharp teeth. With a snap off its mouth it growled at Francisco but couldn’t hurt him.

Nino grinned. A target. He settled his sights on the back of the blue Teddy, drew in a breath and fired. Hit. The rifle clicked and another shell snapped into place. Shot two hit as well with a puff of stuffing. Nino grinned and waited for the beast to fall. Instead the bullet holes started closing and the beast barely registered them.

Suddenly out of the gloom a small boy flew out to land near Nino and Santiago. Nino and Santiago paused in surprise, before they could regain their composure the boy started fading out of sight with a gleeful chant 'here he comes my playful pup, be careful or he''ll eat you up. He's Lord Chompy bits but don't worry you'll give him the shhhhhh....' Suddenly, grey skinned muscles rippling, a four armed monster appeared in front of them, red eyes glowing with malice.

With barely a pause the beast turned on Nino and bit deep into chest, teeth ripping flesh from his body with a gush of blood. Swaying, Nino looked up, weak from the sudden trauma there was little he could do as the fanged mouth descended towards his head......... Blood dribbling from his mouth, Lord Chompy Bits turned towards the other pitiful human before him. He bit again, enjoying the hot blood flowing over his mouth and down his throat....but he didn't die.

This human was stronger than he looked. Chompy rumbled with laughter, at least he could have some fun. Meanwhile, the stitched one scrabbled around in the bank of the stream and rose holding a battered iron chest. The blue creature in the conical hat gestured and the Stitched one was pulled towards it.

The rest of the battle went in a blur that Perdita, even months later, could barely put together. The four armed beast, Chompy bits, tore Santiago to pieces and then move up the hill next to the tower to watch his kindred tear the rest of the Perditas to pieces. Francisco fell to the strange long limbed beast as did the lawyer. Perdita remembered the towering Teddy looming over her before darkness took her. From what she could piece together later, Mama had tried to run but had been chased down by the mob of creatures.

With a low moan, and a tear running down her face Perdita quietly swore revenge for her family. Satr player - Pretty hard as i feel that the whole crew did well. I would have to say that the Stitched ones for denying any shooting threat.

Chompy for almost taking out 2 models in 1 turn. Damn hard to kill. I would have to say that it did feel that the Ortega crew really struggled as they are ranged and the stitched ones pretty much can negate that.  

Mike vs George – Von Schill vs The Viktorias in the old fortress.

Strategy: Shared Deliver Message

It all started in a quite winters evening, upon a sleepy mountain top in the district of Harlow, the Victoria's were camped just outside the stone keep that have stood before the great breach was re opened, while dusting off their wounds and injury revived from that days earlier scrap unbeknown to the two sister Von Schill was on the prow, he has crawled out from his sewers from behind the stone keep, looking to deliver a message to one of the Victorias.

His two scouts were already ahead in the watch tower with the enemy crew in there scopes, it was the perfect ambush with Von Schill in position it was time to spring this trap and see how they would react.

It all started with a lonely shot that awoken the mountains, this could only mean one thing the Friercorps were in town. It would be a fight like no other for Victoria and her motley shambles of a crew. They rush to their feet while getting shot at from the front trying to find out were the enemy were also looking for a leader to deliver a message of peace and friendship, instead.

Of bullets and blades, bishop rushed forwards looking to deal some in rage and frustration in the situation he was in it was helpless as by the time he was staring face to face with he's first and last enemy, he has already Seen the first Ronin laying on the ground lifeless and them girls were tough believe me!

He threw a few punched but it was in vain he was never going to win the fight. Mean while one of the other troopers had made it through to one of the sister on the other side of the rocky out crops, but before he could utter a word she run her swords through he's wet body leaving it on the ground to rot away in the harsh world of Malifaux. Just like bishop outside the watch tower, Taylor was on the other side of the watchtower swinging her hammer for the life but she was taking a lot of wounds for it she was determined to take every last on of these foul troopers with her swinging her hammers high she knocked Johan of he's feet looking like certain death but before she could deal the final wound.

He's friend the Librian came to his rescue but paid for it with her life, this brought him time to pull out he's pistol and send her back to hell!!!

Mean while one of the other Ronin seeing that her dear friend bishop was laying dead on the floor was looking to seek revenge but unfortunately for her she met the same bloody end as he did just seconds before Von Schill was within spitting distance of one of the sisters when she evaporated if you could use that world, to be with her twin as they ran away while the last Ronin covered there retreat, bowing for revenge, this left Von Schill angry for he thought he was going to win this battle but he knew that one day they would return to seek revenge!

Leaving her no option but to ransack The mountain tops for all the supply before leaving it to burn so no one could use this desolate place as well as collapsing the sewers so no one could following him to he's next victim. Leaving both salted.