Nicodem's fog

lexicanium

Just wanted to check something regarding the rules for obscuring terrain in relation to Nicodem's fog ability. The way I imagine it works is that if he has the spell in place, no model can charge him from more than 3 inches due to the need to see him. Is this correct? I realise that they can still use their walk to move into strike range of him.

As always, someone can correct me if I'm wrong (since my rulebooks are in the car).

You cannot charge Nicodem from the outside of the fog since it's a 6 inch bubble, so to charge Nicodem, you would have to be inside the fog and within 3 inches to charge him.

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

Lol, ninja'd by the rules-meister himself :)

Would models with the hunter ability not negate this effect being able to see upto 6" through obscuring terrain? Ie witchling stalkers etc

Likewise no rule book to hand.

There is another thread (I'll see if I can't find the link) that the Hunter ability wouldn't go through it because the fog is not terrain, it is an ability and has no mention of it being obscuring terrain.

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?23192-Nicodem-s-Fog

I see the ruling and all...

But now there is a difference between "obscuring" and "obscuring terrain" ?

While we are at it, why don't we have a difference between "Obscuring" and "obscuring".

Yeah, it's a bit like that. This one's been around a while. At least the new models are being made to work within this framework - all the Rail Crew models with Shapes in the Steam completely ignore it, for example.

hmmm...

I see the ruling and all...

But now there is a difference between "obscuring" and "obscuring terrain" ?

:(

While we are at it, why don't we have a difference between "Obscuring" and "obscuring".

:)

Not really Gruesome, there is a difference between an Effect and a piece of Terrain.

Not really Gruesome, there is a difference between an Effect and a piece of Terrain.

I agree. There is a difference.

That's not my concern.

It has to do with choosing to use a word like "obscuring" and then making it matter whether its in the context of an effect or terrain and THEN expecting people to remember who/what/where/when/why some things affect those contexts or not.

I originally put it forth jokingly as I did not really expect a discussion, but do you really believe this is a clear cut language choice?

I agree. There is a difference.

That's not my concern.

It has to do with choosing to use a word like "obscuring" and then making it matter whether its in the context of an effect or terrain and THEN expecting people to remember who/what/where/when/why some things affect those contexts or not.

I originally put it forth jokingly as I did not really expect a discussion, but do you really believe this is a clear cut language choice?

Obscuring works identically in both case. I don't see why you would use a different term for a Obscuring Effect and Obscuring Terrain.

Hunter does explicitly say terrain, which an Effect is not.

It is Clear Cut, unfortunately it doesn't allow for people half reading things and then filling in the gap with how they think it should work.