New to Malifaux - Ten Thunders

Valtyr

Hi everyone!

I'm a long-time 40K player who has recently taken the plunge into Malifaux as my FLGS has quite a strong community built around the game (including two Henchmen!). I decided upon the Ten Thunders faction and recently picked up the Misaki crew as well as a box of Archers to give some much needed range support to complement all the melee. I have a few questions regarding (0) abilities and, specifically, Misaki's 'You're Mine' ability.

Am I correct in believing that as a (0) ability, Misaki can use it without subtracting from her AP pool, and that it is active throughout her entire activation (as opposed to on just the one Attack/Dmg flip)?

Also, the wording of the ability confuses me slightly. It reads that Misaki can perform this action 'after this model performs a Strike Action targeting an enemy model.' Does this mean that Misaki has to make a standard Strike Action without the benefit of 'You're Mine' and gets the benefit for any subsequent attacks that activation?

Apologies for coming in here and bombarding you all with questions, any clarity you can give me on this would be very much appreciated!

Thanks, and hello again!

- Valtyr

Models generate 2 General AP and a (0) AP each turn. (0) Actions shouldn't be thought of as free Actions, but instead as special Actions that can only be used by spending a special (0) AP.

Yep, with You're Mine, you have to have attacked a model at least once to latch onto it with You're Mine and get the bonus, though it will last through till your next turn if you don't hit another model or move away from it.

An excellent choice, I'm having a lot of fun fielding the 10 Thunders as well as Misaki herself. Let's see if we can't answer your questions.

Every model, barring modifiers and whatnot, has 2 General AP to spend as well as getting a single (0) action. So, in one turn Misaki may use "You're Mine" OR "Shadow", but not both. (Misaki also have "(+1) Reckless", which means she can inflict 1 Wd on herself to gain Fast for the activation, which gives her a 3rd General AP.)

All effect last until the Resolve Effects stage at the end of the turn unless they state otherwise. For example, if I remember correctly (the card and book are not in front of me, so somebody correct me as necessary) "Shadow" says that it lasts until she uses the ability again. That means it's continuous from turn-to-turn until it's recast.

You interpreted "You're Mine" correctly. She has to make her first Strike against the model first, THEN she may use "You're Mine" against them.

Don't be afraid to answer questions, that's what we're here for, especially this particular forum! Welcome to the community.

Thank you very much for your quick response and the clarification. So in order to maximise Misaki's damage output on a charge would it be legal to use the following:

i) Declare (2) Diving Attack.

ii) Flip Attack card and, if needed, use Shang's Lucky Charm to allow an Attack re-flip.

iii) Resolve any Dmg.

iv) Declare Misaki's You're Mine.

v) Use Misaki's (+1) Melee Expert Action to generate an additional Strike.

vi) Benefit from You're Mine.

That seems to make the most sense, and allows Misaki to really dish out the hurt if I Cheat Fate properly. It also means Shang actually sees some use out of his abilities, as in my practise games he really wasn't doing too much...

Thanks again!

- Valtyr

Thank you very much for your quick response and the clarification. So in order to maximise Misaki's damage output on a charge would it be legal to use the following:

i) Declare (2) Diving Attack.

ii) Flip Attack card and, if needed, use Shang's Lucky Charm to allow an Attack re-flip.

iii) Resolve any Dmg.

iv) Declare Misaki's You're Mine.

v) Use Misaki's (+1) Melee Expert Action to generate an additional Strike.

vi) Benefit from You're Mine.

That seems to make the most sense, and allows Misaki to really dish out the hurt if I Cheat Fate properly. It also means Shang actually sees some use out of his abilities, as in my practise games he really wasn't doing too much...

Thanks again!

- Valtyr

Add

vii) Gain 1 AP from Reckless (1 Wd to Misaki)

viii) Attack again.

You can get the grandma to turn her Reckless to just Fast, which doesn't have the Wd payment for an extra AP.

Awesome!

I have to say that I've found Misaki to be an absolute terror once I got over the initial difficulty curve. She managed to take down a Rail Golem in a single activation in one game, as well as two Illuminated, Mr. Grave, Mr Tanner and Lynch in a second, all each in a single activation.

I'm quite fond of her really!

- Valtyr

Edited by Valtyr