Weaver Widow

Webmonkey

ok,.. as promised. Here' some pics of my Weaver Widow. The images are a bit grainy perhaps, but the colors show up well. I actually really enjoy this model,.. it looks cool and was fun to paint (which is the main thing for me). I've got the highlighting bit down, but still seem to have problems getting a really smooth blend down to my darker colors, or vice-versa,.. from my dark colors up to my light ones, if you prefer. Thoughts on technique are always appreciated, as are critiques.

Enjoy,...

post-8871-13911925774642_thumb.jpg

post-8871-13911925775326_thumb.jpg

post-8871-13911925775905_thumb.jpg

post-8871-1391192577648_thumb.jpg

I would have to agree that the model, though very well done is missing a bit when it comes to the dark flesh (carapace?).

Depending on the paint brand you utilize there are a number of good recipes to assist with getting the look right. I like the Citadel brand paint so would recommend:

1. Base coat Abaddon Black
  2. Wash with Nuln Oil
  3. Thin Highlight layer 1 Eishin Grey
  4. Thinner Highlight layer 2 Dawn Stone
  5. Dry Brush Long Beard Grey
  6. I will usually go back with another wash of Nuln Oil to deepen everything again

That should get you in the right ball park if looking for a Sheer Black though I think she might look better with a Blue Black, so;

• same first 2 steps as above then
  • Thin Highlight layer 1 Dark Reaper
  • Thinner Highlight layer 2 Thunderhawk Blue
  • Drybrush Etherium Blue
  • Wash with either Nuln Oil or Drakenhof Nightshade

Hopefully that helps a bit.

I actually did do a wash over the top of the black with a thinned coat of midnight blue. Doesn't show up well in the image though. Has a bit more of a blue cast in person. It's either my crappy photography skills, or perhaps it's all the ice blue making the midnight blue look blacker,.. by comparison.

But thanks for the comments guys. I'm always keen to hear what people have to say and try to improve my techniques.

I actually did do a wash over the top of the black with a thinned coat of midnight blue. Doesn't show up well in the image though. Has a bit more of a blue cast in person. It's either my crappy photography skills, or perhaps it's all the ice blue making the midnight blue look blacker,.. by comparison.

But thanks for the comments guys. I'm always keen to hear what people have to say and try to improve my techniques.

In that case it is probably the photography. Camera's have a pretty narrow contrast range, so will typically only be able to show the bright details or the dark details well (in this case the camera chose to emphasize the brights, probably because of center weight metering and the amount of bright compared to the dark).

Not much you can do other than slow down the camera speed (a lot, talking to the point of having to tripod the camera and use a cable release) to let the details at both ends develop as much as possible. You can also try softening the lights a bit with a filter (parchement or tissue paper will work fine).

There is a way to do this in post photography processing (but I recall it requires multiple shoots and then layering which is a bit of an advanced process).