So where is the Malifaux computer game Kickstarter?

PandaBearGuy

Having seen what games companies in general and Wyrd specifically can raise via kickstarter, is there any reason why they shouldn't use it to fund development of a Malifaux computer game?

I'm not talking a 1080p masterpiece here, I'm saying can't we as fans fund a couple of dudes to create a basic activation-based top-down 2D recreation of our beloved Malifaux? And I mean true 2D, not isometric like Fallout 1/2 or the original Xcom games. Art would be simple with small representation of each unit on a flat circle, with terrain being similarly flat but having height values.

I know Warmahordes has something like this (although I think it might be unofficial) and I feel that the Malifaux rules and special abilities would work well, although they might have to allow premeasuring for the purposes of showing where your units can get to. I also know before the console Blood Bowl game came out there was a simple online one (sorry, again foggy on details).

As a fan of Malifaux with nowhere nearby to play I would shell out full xbox 360 game top-design prices ($70 here) or more just to be able to play a simple-graphics version of Malifuax, EVEN IF all it had to start was the units from 2 starter boxes. But in my opinion simplicity of graphics, art, setup and play should be strived for in order to decrease cost and production time.

Thoughts?

Edited by PandaBearGuy

There's the vassal module that's in the works from what I know.

Not trying to knock the idea as I would love to see a computer game but coming from that kind of background the development and testing cycle for even a 2d game to make sure it plays like or as close to the tabletop version is not a simple 3-4 month project. You're looking at closer to a year (Assuming a team of at least 10 people doing the development and outsourcing testing) for anything close.

Please bear in mind this is taking into account every aspect of the game. So strats and schemes. Are they shared/indoor etc all rolled into one visual menu so you can keep track of your objectives etc.

Note - not my full thoughts as will take probably close to half an hour for me to write that out

Agreed with Iron Skies. Keep in mind that as much as you or I might be willing to pay top tier triple AAA title prices for something like that, when your production, development and marketing costs potentially run seven figures or more, you really can't price like a title expecting to sell millions of copies for a niche product like this. And I say that with love and respect; it's a great game, but obviously Wyrd is still a bit of a ways away from being a household name in the usual sense.

I mean, sure, I'd love to see a computer game of some sort, be it an RPG, an FPS, turn based strategy, or even just a multiplayer (hotseat and online) version of the table top game. Duel of the Planeswalkers is a great way to help explain some of the more intrictate concepts of Magic, and a pc version could be an amazing tool in the same fashion.

But Wyrd isn't a computer game company, far as I know, so it seems like a better idea to let another development team run with the idea (with massive input from Wyrd of course) rather than trying to expand their facilities/focus so dramatically.