Dreamer queries

Vermin Lord

Been perusing PMF and the rules updates, and just wanted to make sure I have stuff clear, after the latest (july) updates, the only 2 ways LCB can come out to play are if Dreamer snuffs it, or does the 0 action that specifically summons him, correct?

Also, are there any particular shared strategies he's not good at?

Yep, you've pretty much got it there. Daydreams used to be able to do it, but now can only bring forth non-master nightmares when they die.

the dreamer's spell, frightning dreams (which the daydreams can use through magical extension) likewise now states non-master nightmare.

As for things he isnt good at - can't think of one really! He's very mobile, so good at getting to objectives and carrying his crew there, and can put the pain where it needs to be in kill-based games too.

Dreamer was my first master, is still my favourite (although others are close!), and he can do most things well.

In faction, he wouldn't be my choice for a claim jump (other neverborn can do that better) but he can do most things well if needed to.

One thing to remember is that when you commit your crew, you are pretty much commited, so dropping your team in the right place at the right time is crucial.

Edited by Joel

When daydreams die you can summon LCB with their 1 sac acton. Otherwise that's it

change into nightmare:

"if this model is killed or sacrificed by an enemy model's strike or spell, its controller may place one buried non-master nightmare within 6" of it before it is removed from the table"

so no chompy from that ability anymore.

change into nightmare:

"if this model is killed or sacrificed by an enemy model's strike or spell, its controller may place one buried non-master nightmare within 6" of it before it is removed from the table"

He's referencing their (1) action that allows them to sacrifice themselves, which still allows for Chompy.

Edited by Tokaji

• 1 month later...
Joel-

Have you played Dreamer much post-errata? I've just gotten serious about playing him (never did before the changes) and I'm finding him fun to play! A lot of the advice on the forums or elsewhere is outdated but still some good stuff.

Any cool tips to share? Thanks!

Almost all of my time with the dreamer has been post errata :) he is a great deal of fun to play.

As for tips...not sure if they are cool or not, but...

Learn the daydreams. A dreamer crew can often set the tempo of a game as the player can dictate where the battles take place, with a little luck. Making sure you get chompy where he needs to be, and getting him out again to a place where he can safely revert to the dreamer is important. The daydreams are the key to this.

Knowing when to keep them safe, and when to give them up - as well as when to companion and when not to are all rather important. And never forget that a daydream can be made in game by either the dreamer or chompy - it's not cheap, but it's useful.

Also, really think in 3 dimensions. Most of the crew can be put anywhere and lots have spirit, flight or float.

Stick with the box set plus daydreams until you know them backwards. Stitched and coppelius are very, very solid models for the dreamer.

Making sure you get chompy where he needs to be, and getting him out again to a place where he can safely revert to the dreamer is important. The daydreams are the key to this.

I'd love to hear more about this. I get the whole sacc to Call Nightmare trick but doesn't that just leave you with Chompy still on the table- just farther back?

Companion the daydreams, but don't activate them first.

The daydreams still have the (1)lead nightmares and (0)calm nightmares abilities.

Lead nightmare pushes chompy 4" towards a daydream. This can be done twice and then a (0) action calm nightmares can bury chompy again. This may well allow you to get the dreamer somewhere safe (I.e. close to the daydreams or another nightmare).

Of course, a move and a lead nightmare, followed by the calm can do the same job. With multiple daydreams in the companion chain, considerable distance can be covered by this.

Pre-errata magical extension on frightening dreams was commonplace. Now it's something I do if I'm having a daydream act alone to get a stitched or similar upfield without activating dreamer.

Generally though, throwing a daydream 12" upfield and having an enemy kill it to bring out a nightmare, such as the stitched, works fine and gets the stitched further.

Calm dreams to bury the crew is a better use - the daydream packs the suitcase, dreamer moves and unpacks it elsewhere.

Rapid eye movement is too hard for a daydream to cast - I'm saving the high tome for "all done" most of the time. Could be great on coppelius, but he seldom needs it.