Hooked on Malifaux

ShadowOps

I recently played a introduction game of Malifaux and I am hooked. After many years of playing GW games (I started with Rogue Trader which will really show my age) I have become more than little tired of playing the same old games and was looking for something new. Malifaux seemed to hit all the right notes, it is far cheaper to get into than the usuall £200+ for a new army, it takes up very little space to store the crews and I dont have to spend weeks painting before I can play.

Before I rush out and hit the credit card I would like to ask a few questions.

1 I would prefer to buy the compact edition of the rules for transportation reasons; are all the rules, crews and scenarios included in this?

2 Are the Stat cards included in each blister or starter box? I saw them for sale seperately is this just to replace old cards?

3 Are the Rising Powers and Twisting Fates books also required, I am looking at fielding a Freikorps crew or possibly a Showgirls crew using the starter boxes will I be able to do this with just the Compact Rules?

Many thanks and looking forward to building up my first crew.

I recently played a introduction game of Malifaux and I am hooked. After many years of playing GW games (I started with Rogue Trader which will really show my age) I have become more than little tired of playing the same old games and was looking for something new. Malifaux seemed to hit all the right notes, it is far cheaper to get into than the usuall £200+ for a new army, it takes up very little space to store the crews and I dont have to spend weeks painting before I can play.

1 I would prefer to buy the compact edition of the rules for transportation reasons; are all the rules, crews and scenarios included in this? No, all the crews from the first book are in the Large 1.5 book. The crews from book 2 3 and 4 are in those books respectively.

2 Are the Stat cards included in each blister or starter box? I saw them for sale seperately is this just to replace old cards? Yes, just to replace.

3 Are the Rising Powers and Twisting Fates books also required, I am looking at fielding a Freikorps crew or possibly a Showgirls crew using the starter boxes will I be able to do this with just the Compact Rules? You can do it with just the compact rules as you get the cards in the box. If you want to see their rules before hand you will need the respective books though.

My answers in red.

Welcome to Malifaux!!

Thanks for the information I have ordered the compact rules list and will be ordering a starter box set plus a few extra packs as soon as I have decided which crew to go for.

Once I get the hang of the basic game I will probably get the additional books to expand my collection.

I did not want to go out by all the books then have nothing to start playing:facepalm:

1 I would prefer to buy the compact edition of the rules for transportation reasons; are all the rules, crews and scenarios included in this?

2 Are the Stat cards included in each blister or starter box? I saw them for sale seperately is this just to replace old cards?

3 Are the Rising Powers and Twisting Fates books also required, I am looking at fielding a Freikorps crew or possibly a Showgirls crew using the starter boxes will I be able to do this with just the Compact Rules?

Hiya. Glad you enjoyed the game, I've PM'd you.

Feel free to ask me any more questions.

I'm in the same boat and had the same questions so thanks for getting them out there.

I was recently introduced to Malifaux at Socal Smackdown (nearby Con) and I can't stop thinking about it. And I have tried. I'm already so busy, I'm struggling with how to fit this in. I can easily see getting sucked into building terrain (I built a model railroad layout as a kid) and painting the crews. I did a fair amount of model building and painting when I was young so can easily see enjoying that aspect of the hobby. Gaming side, this would be my first experience playing with miniatures, my background is on the board game side.

dgraz already posted the link above, but I can't stress it enough. If you're just getting started in the game, you gotta check the pullmyfinger site. It is unbelievably comprehensive and the single best resource for new players. It totally allows you to avoid buying the separate books 2, 3, and (soon) 4 by giving you at least high level descriptions of the available models, if not full in depth reports. The books themselves are awesome and contain a lot of sweet fluff but it can be hard just starting out to buy them all. The site also tells you what's legal to play for each Master so you can structure your purchases accordingly and not get stuck with a model that you don't have a master for.