Malifools Episode 13 - Up above the streets and houses

OldManMyke

It seems like every week I post one of these, oh wait it is every week.

Bix of a mix this week. We finally finish up our book three discussion with chat about Yan Lo and Mei Fang - can't believe we thought we would get all that done in 1 episode

Conrad has been to a tournament and won a game so we talk about how that went for him, announce the competition winners (thanks to everyone who entered) and start another competition where you can win a wonderful piece of podcast merchendise. Not Malifools merchendise but cool schwag all the same.

Mike has been trying out the Dark Debts crew and Jon has been playing catchup in the local league so we talk about that as well.

Lastly we have a chat with Dan Sulin (@nilus2k) about how Gencon went for him, story tournaments and what the Adepticon Cake tournament is all about.

Enjoy and we'll see you with a (hopefully) slightly shorter episode next week - all this editing is killing me.

Get it at http://malifools.podbean.com or via iTunes

Some comments about the episode, mostly the ten thunders segment.

Mei Feng is cache 5 since she will eat stones like a crack addict to push up her hittng (not always will she be hitting) and to keep the triggers going and also to keep herself alive, def 7 is huge, but it means jack if you have no stones and are in the middle of the enemy force, she is also vulnerable before she activates since she hasn't had time to add +2 arm to herself.

Willy is fantastic and he is a perfectly controlled piece, if you ever hit any of your models with any of his blasts it's because you deemed the sacrifice necessary, not because it screwed you over like it happens with Pere or Papa.

As for Yan Lo, everything I've heard about him states that you can mix and macth paths, but you are forced to keep the order of the tree. Also, his chi mechanic can make him a monster and it is very tempting to use stones to al least pump up his movement and give him regen for example. Also, dogs to sack for corpses and chi seems pointless since Izamu dying is already dropping 3 corpses and playing on the basis that your ancestors are already dead seems like a bad plan, specially with a spell that makes everything spirit, making them very hard. Also, those dogs are more useful going on the offensive and dying later giving you the corpses in a better position and the chi without wasting any actions.

About Chiaki, you didn't comment on how she can remove effects on your models on a pulse, which is pretty huge, taking out slow, paralysis or burning counters for example. Also, her ability to push undead mudels his huge to give movility to any list.

As for Izamu substituting the dead rider, I don't see it as clearly, the rider is faster, can attack more times (fast-melee expert + flurry) and can move figures around the table. Also, he is as durable as Izamu in a different way, moderate damage on dead rider is pretty hard to happen unless he gets red jokered, Izamu on the other hand will be taking moderate and severe a lot more and a lot of scary effects tend to be associated to moderate and severe like blasts. Also, the grave spirit may die an early death to blast or just be nuked in an attack and then proceed to beat on a softer Izamu. Finally, Dead Rider heals a lot better.

Not saying Izamu is bad, by god no, but Dead Rider is no slouch.

As for Anathema, avatar Pandora and avatar Dreamer are also packing it.

Anyway, thanks loads for sharing and for the show.

Thanks for the comments. We are planning on doing a follow up in a couple of months to go over all the things we got wrong / missed. Will probably be another long show :)

On the plus side I've just been looking at the listening figures and lots of people seem to want to know anything at all about the book. We are now doing over 1000 listens a week, which I'm sure pales to nothing compared with the big boys, but for a show thats only been going 3 months I am over the moon pleased with.

Loving the longer episodes. Due to your consistent releases I have upgraded you to my "Premier Malifaux Podcast". Sorry Gamer's Lounge, you got caught resting on your laurels.

Don't get too comfortable though, as all The Aethervox has to do in order to clinch top spot is release a 15 minute recording of another piece of dramatic reading.

P.S. - screw the Von Schill gag, bring back your "breaks" from the first episode.

Loving the longer episodes. Due to your consistent releases I have upgraded you to my "Premier Malifaux Podcast". Sorry Gamer's Lounge, you got caught resting on your laurels.

Don't get too comfortable though, as all The Aethervox has to do in order to clinch top spot is release a 15 minute recording of another piece of dramatic reading.

P.S. - screw the Von Schill gag, bring back your "breaks" from the first episode.

No worries, my own listening when it comes to Malifaux podcasts has Gamers Lounge at the bottom of the list. I almost never listen to those guys!

*grin*