Flat elevations and ht on flame wall

Landjorden

Question

Hi guys, this came up in a recent game. Can I cast flame wall in a room with only 2 ht? Flame wall has ht 5, I argued that it could be cast and the flames would just hit the ceiling and effectively just be ht 2 in the room.

If I can´t cast flame wall in a room that's not ht 5, can I place blasts in a room with lesser ht than 3? As they have a ht 3 value. I sure hope I'm right or Sonnia will never step near a house again :P

The other thing we have a hard time wrapping our heads around is the LoS for flat elevations. We understand the shadow but beyond that, is it just unlimited LoS?

For example, would these two have LoS to each other?

Thats all for now :P

post-10739-13911924959059_thumb.jpg

Edited by Landjorden

12 answers to this question

OK... The way this would work is this. place the blast templates/markers. if it's totally covered over by a ceiling it would only be Ht2. If there are any gaps it will seep up onto the next layer.

Look at the Clarification page as that has some examples of Auras and Blasts with terrain which will help.

http://www.malifaux.com/Errata.php#AoEC

That's a good answer for the Ht question for blasts. What about the LoS? Would seem unlogical if you can draw LoS like that...

What do you mean by LoS? Most of the time you just need LoS to the initial target then the additional blasts just need to be able to trace back to the original target though blasts. So you can place a blast so it catches someone you can't see a long as there it's a gap for the blast to get to them through.

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

The other thing we have a hard time wrapping our heads around is the LoS for flat elevations. We understand the shadow but beyond that, is it just unlimited LoS?

For example, would these two have LoS to each other?

Thats all for now :P

Yep it's abstraction (Malifaux is designed so it's totally possible to play on a 2D map if you wanted to, and it would be impossible to play true LoS in that case) so as long as they are outside the shadow you can see them.

Edited by Ratty

It´s two different questions, the first one was about blasts and markers in rooms, the other one is Line of sight on flat elevations, the awsome paintattachement is supposed to show one model standing on top of a flat elevation, one below outside of the shadow but about 20" away, do they have line of sight to one another?

It´s two different questions, the first one was about blasts and markers in rooms, the other one is Line of sight on flat elevations, the awsome paintattachement is supposed to show one model standing on top of a flat elevation, one below outside of the shadow but about 20" away, do they have line of sight to one another?

Yep see above.