Got the dreamer... what master next?

birdbath

Hey all.

I want to try a new neverborn master but dont have a huge amount of cash to commit on another full crew so I though I would post here to find out what master would be the most cost effective. I play at 35 stones most of the time.

Here are the following models I use with the dreamer excluding his totems:

• Coppelius
  • Insidious Madness
  • Lelu
  • Lilitu
  • Stitched Together x2
  • Teddy

I love all of the other neverborn masters including the dark debts box (but i know nothing about what he can take). Just need a bit of advice on what to get next I have just enough cash to get a box set so you get an idea of my budget.

Thanks for reading,

BB

Pick up a Pandora Box set, or even just Pandora and some sorrows, though you may want to pick up a Doppelganger at some point. The reason for it is that the minions that work best for the Dreamer also work really well for Pandora. So by purchasing a single starter box or maybe 2 to 3 blisters, you can have a second crew with a different play style for very little money invested.

Pandora absolutely LOVES the Insidious Madness and Coppelius as well as Stitched Together's as all of those models force WP duels, and that is what Pandora is all about.

Stitched are excellent screening minions that are not only a pain to deal with for opposing crew (thanks to Does Not Die), they screen your crew from enemy ranged attacks with (0) Creepy Fog. A well placed stitched using (0) Creepy Fog can completely shut down a Perdita Crew or a Von Schill crew for a turn by denying them line of sight for their ranged attacks (though Hans can see through the fog). And using (1) Gamble Your Life Away on a target that is suffering from (1) Psychopathic Episodes (Insidious Madness) or even (1) Project Emotions (Pandora) is a sure fire way to kill a model quick. Even if you flip a weak damage of 3, with Pandora nearby you are doing an extra wound each time you win that duel. 4 damage net on a weak flip is not bad any day of the week.

Lilitu is also great at using (1) Lure to pull enemy models into range of Pandora's abilities, or pulling a model within range of a group of sorrows for Pandora to paper cut to death much quicker. Lelu though, is just there to clean up anything that gets to close or provide an alternate target for the opposing Crew to focus on instead of your Lilitu he is really superfluous to a Pandora crew but is kind of required if you wan to take a Lilitu. I honestly rarely take the twins because I'd rather take Coppelius and some Stitched Together's.

Coppelius though... I don't know where to begin. He is my absolute favorite minion in the game. Having him gain an eyeball counter near several low WP minions in range of Pandora and watching them all take a WP->12 duel, failing and dying from Coppelius' passive talent that causes 3 WD's (not damage but straight wounds!) to any fleeing model within 3", AND THEN summoning several alps (over a few turns) around a paralyzed model that survived (only to later die when they activate due to the Alps + Pandora...). Well... you have Coppelius and have seen him in action with a Dreamer crew so I'll leave it at that...

Edited by marful

Personally I'd go with Zoraida (and in this case you can get away with just buying Zoraida and a Voodoo doll). She works very well with the models you have and, with the Insidious Madness, can even strip away immune to influence to obey models you normally couldn't. You also have lots of obey targets in your own crew.Otherwise, if you are willing to spend a bit more, pandora is brilliant. I would say, though, to be wary of your gaming group. I have pandora and my group do not like me playing her.

I'd recommend Zoraida.

While buying Pandora would net you an excellent crew, it would leave you with effectively two crews; your Deamer one and your Pandora one. While this works really well for gameplay purposes, if you're worried about budget you don't want to have to buy a chunk of models and play an entirely new crew.

If you get Zoraida (and possibly a Voodoo doll), you get access to any living model in the game with 4 Wp or less as well as the ability to boost their capabilities with Obey (which might as well be a 12" spell to give an ally Fast if you intend to use it on your own models). Zoraida can make solid use of any of your models barring possilby Teddy, and is a superlative objective grabber all on her own. While you won't get many crazy synergies from her (although a Doppelganger with her Wp of 10 and the Stitched's Gamble your Life is rather fun), she's nearly unkillable and can limit your opponent's options should they try to play around Obey.

As well as this, you can stick to budget by buying single models when you fancy it; since Zoraida can make use of so many models, it's easy to splash out 6 quid at a time and get the likes of the Doppelganger, Taelor or a couple of Desperate Mercs (who can be *hilarious* when being Obeyed twice in their "For my Family" mode.

Just to round out the options I'd say collodi. He can be run on his own or as a henchman to others. He works with the stitched you already have. Best there's nothing outside of his box set you have to buy for him.

On the downside plystyle he's sort of similar to the dreamer as a fast ambush predator. On the plus side he's less likely to provoke the hate the dreamer sometimes gets (and Pandora is another widely hated master, unfortunately).

I'd follow Collodi with Zoraida. And that's almost exactly what I did buy for my neverborn (plus a few single models to fill things out).

My route was much the same as 011121's. Dreamer->Collodi->Zoraida.

Buying Zoraida and the Voodoo doll will get you a fast, nigh-on unkillable objective grabber and a second thing that can cast Obey. You've already got the Twins for board control and killing everything, and a pair of Stitched for hanging around and also killing pretty much everything.

If you have Zoraida, you can use the Doppelganger trick I described above to get Gamble your Life off at Wp 10. Zoraida and the Voodoo doll can then Obey the Doppelganger to turn her into a machine gun of Wp-duel death.

If you're aiming for something to improve your game options, you may want a pack of Terror Tots for some objective grabbers to complement your current tough heavy hitters. Other than that, you can look into more general stuff. Von Schill is a piece that you can use in pretty much any crew, and his great mobility and strong ranged power make him an ideal Obey target. I've heard about a lot of fun involving Nurse paired with Papa Loco.

Other than that, you can pretty much pick any model that looks cool to you and is legal in her crew. At the minute I'm trying out Bishop, of all things. Pushing enemies off objectives and giving them Slow is fun, while having Df 8 and the ability to Push after an enemy misses in melee makes him remarkably fast. Zoraida can boost him forward into the enemy crew with Repulsive, and can help keep foes away from him and give him a couple of extra Charges each turn. All good messy fun.

Dreamer -> collodi -> zoraida

Was also my route :) later picked up Lilith (love her! Great master) and finally pandora.

Getting collodi also led to getting leveticus, and zoraida led me into loads of other minions and crews (kaeris for the gunsmiths).

My preference from thee would be Zoraida blister and the voodoo doll, because Zoraida is just so much fun. For the models you have, Pandora is the other good master, but depending on your play group you can sometimes get a bit of hate from her, and the dreamer, where as Zoraida tends to be loved by all :D