Shrug Off question

EnternalVoid

Question

Okay I kind of feel stupid for this but someone that has been reading the rule books, my cards, and is somewhat interested in the game asked me a question and it has forced me to do a double take.

First off I generally don't play with any model with Shrug Off or Dispel Magic, I don't play Guild so my choices with those sort of things are alot more limited. Anyhow he was looking at some Arcanist stuff and asked if you could shrug off or dispel burning tokens or poison tokens. My first reply was yes, as it seems like my opponents have done that before. He then asked where in the rules it allows you to do that... and I could not find anything.

Shrug off says "Discard 1 counter or end 1 effect on this model". In the rule Book in the Token section on page 19 it says that Tokens are not counters or markers. So I decide they might be effects, but some like the Blight Tokens don't have a defined end time. Both Burning and Poison work themselves off. Then on the FAQ where it ask what is Not an Effect it has "Markers, Counters, Tokens" which seem to imply they produce effects but are not effects themselves.

So based on what I am looking at it seems like you can't Shrug Off or Dispel tokens or is there something I am missing? Be nice to be able to answer this person properly as he has been eyeing the rules pretty heavy and seeing how certain masters play.

3 answers to this question

That version of Shrug Off was printed before the rules manual. Prior to the rules manual, we had poison counters, not poison tokens. Because of confusion with corpse and scrap counters, the term token was introduced.

A new version of Shrug Off, printed on the Latigo Pistoleros reads "Discard one token or end one effect..."

Hope that helps!