Measuring CB distances question

breached

Question

Apologies if this one has been answered, I've looked without any luck...

I'm aware that the general rule is that pre-measuring is not allowed, but I was realizing that just about every opponent I've had, has played where if you are making a charge and you are in range, that their ruler will come out to put their charging minion on the edge of their CB range.

Example: Johan charges. He's is well within range. A tape measure is used to keep him exactly 3" away from the model he is charging, so that the model would be forced to take a movement activation on their turn before being able to strike back.

On a charge in a straight line, this might be easy to allow, but what about charging in to combat with a Viktoria, and hoping to trigger Whirlwind, so you want to make sure that you're in combat range with a couple of your opponent's minions on either side of you? Is it okay to measure then, assuming you have already declared your charge and safely made it in to combat range?

I have started using this practice as well, because it seems to be widely accepted (in the games I've played), but I would love to know what the intention was when the game was created, and if there is an official ruling on this.

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

Thanks for the quick replies. @dgraz Do you happen to know where in the small rulebook this is discussed?

The last line of Melee Basics on pg 39.

"Models may check their melee range to confirm whether they are engaged with or engaging enemy models at any time."