New recruit.

ICleadpeople

I'd go with the Handler over the Guardian TBH. She makes the Stalkers in the box exponentially better. Wouldn't bother with the Purifying flame at all.

If I was asked what someone should buy to get a solid start in guild it would be Sonnia box, Justice Box, Guardian, Handler. Possibly throw in Brutal Effigy and a Watcher. Gives a load of 4 point options, two solid 7 point options and one more who can potentially be devastating if you get the cards. I like Samael too. Totals about 66 pounds for all of that at Maelstrom.

Yeah, no matter how much I want to like my pretty little Purifying Flame, it just sort of sucks. If only it had a :tomes in its casting stat...

Anyway, the way to start with guild, if you ask me, is to just go with some starter boxes: they're all solid and contain models you'll want to have for your lists eventually. I'd take the Sonnia box first (duh), then Hoffman (Guardian + Watcher), then Justice (Death Marshals and some solid melee in the form of the judge) and by that time he should have a decent idea of which models he likes to play.

Let him win. Not by much. No one likes getting romped all the time. I let people win ocassionally, just to let them feel more like they can enjoy the satisfaction of winning. I just love the game.

I forgot to add we started gaming together back in the early 90's so letting him win is simply out if the question. I think I owe him a few, me being the "fluffy guy" and him being the "power gamer" he's due for some beat down :-P

I forgot to add we started gaming together back in the early 90's so letting him win is simply out if the question. I think I owe him a few, me being the "fluffy guy" and him being the "power gamer" he's due for some beat down :-P

Doesn't it just feel good to crush a "power gamer" as a "fluffy guy?" Just a little bit?

Agreed that purifying flame is the least useful guild totem, even the governors proxy has more CA and somewhat more useful ability.

As far as teaching the game is concerned power gamers tend to pick up the game quite well but don't utterly destroy his ego by annihilating him. If you want him to get into the game make it close and hard fought the whole way through before you decide to flip the "off" switch. No complicated combos or things he cannot even hope to defend from, where he is stuck flipping cards and he doesn't even know why his minis are disappearing.

Thanks guys. I did go easy on him. He was kinda under the impresssion that the game was not balanced well after reading some reviews online. See I told you he was a power gamer, he looked up the most broken things he could find before the game :) I had some great help from the SoCal Malifaux guys having only played 4 games myself.

I have to say this has been one of the best communitys to begin gaming with.