The dead rise again

Soseito

Hello all.

I've been away from the hobby for a bit and didn't feel right necromancing my old painting thread. So pardoning the bad title pun I'm going to show how I've improved.

I never bought a new camera so forgive the shoddy photo quality.

These guys...er.. things are still a work in progress.

post-7884-13911923232745_thumb.jpg

Here is what I'm using for a treasure counter. Some mordenheim bits mixed with cat litter.

post-7884-13911923233262_thumb.jpg

Now I'm having some trouble deciding how to finish my SPAs. I'm not sure if I should make them look bloody-

post-7884-13911923234239_thumb.jpg

-Or leave them looking non-bloodied.

post-7884-13911923235289_thumb.jpg

What do you think?

The areas on the SPAs where the spiny growths are will be bloody however.

Unrelated note- Anybody know why my photobucket images were considered an invalid file?

post-7884-1391192323374_thumb.jpg

post-7884-13911923234752_thumb.jpg

Haha, never considered using kitty litter for basing grit! I may have to start getting creative, though. I do like what you've got so far, including the unusual flesh color.

I would dirty up the metal bits, introduce some corrosion and filth. There's many ways to do this and I'm sure you've got some in mind already. Ichiban Painting has some good videos for this sort of thing if you need it. I've also (accidentally) found that an overly heavy (not watered down) black wash can give you a sort of a sooty look, which could work for a Levi crew.

At any rate, keep painting and keep posting pics! We love it!

Actually I hadn't considered any corrosion and/or filth. I have eight SPAs with that color scheme at the moment so I don't really mind experimenting. I'll be sure to look into Ichiban painting's videos. Thanks for the idea.

I still have yet to learn how to make washes. The only two washes I have are the P3 flesh wash and the P3 blue ink wash.

My desolation engine is a bright/pale blue and I still haven't figured out what colors to paint levi and alyce. Any suggestions?

Okay, I just watched the Ichiban rusty look (with a brush) tutorial. I'm at a bit of a loss with that. I can see how that would be effective on things such as land raiders and the ilk but I have no idea how to pull off something like that on a model as small as an SPA.

On an unrelated note, if I ever get an airbrush that will be a very useful site to revisit. Thank you.

Can anyone suggest any ideas on what would look good on my SPAs?

Here is my desolation engine. I had him finished before I even started on my SPA models. I thought the pale blue would look similar to cold, bloodless, flesh.

post-7884-13911923238065_thumb.jpg

post-7884-13911923237507_thumb.jpg

The mail just came and one of my packages has arrived.

post-7884-13911923240848_thumb.jpg

I think I'll be busy for some time to come. Now the question remaining, Where should I branch my collection out to now?

Edit: The models in the clamshells are: Zombie chihuahua, Canine remains (both types), Seishan, Gaki, Necrotic machine, Lost love, Alps, Insidious madness, Wicked dolls, Young nephilim, Waldgeist, Voodoo doll, Justice (Alt model), Coryphee, Mechanical doves, Soulstone miner, and Angelica.

Sadly the Spirits of vengeance box and the nekima model were unable to be shipped.

Edited by kannachan

The mail just came and one of my packages has arrived.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5611[/ATTACH]

I think I'll be busy for some time to come. Now the question remaining, Where should I branch my collection out to now?

Busy for some time to come? Folks, that is how you do understatement *wink*

Edited by Dustcrusher
Grrr....can we please make ;) = *wink* ?

I commend you on your superior collection, Sir. And on your ambition. :)

I wouldn't quite say a superior collection, but I do have a nice collection coming along. As for my ambition, I fear that may be the death of me, or at the least, some very poor quality models.

Your painting is clean and crisp.

I think that the next step for you is to play with washes. I've not used P3 washes, but use whatever you have and start experimenting.

Even with the new GW formulated washes, I am finding that I want to thin them. If you put on a wash too thin, it will mean a you do it again after it dries. It a wash is too intensified, it may mean repainting!

Thin by adding water and something to break the hydrostatic bond of the water (a drop Future floor wax does the trick).

I'd recommend taking another SPA, painting the same way that you have the others except with a much lighter flesh tone (the wash will darken it some). Then cover the model with GW Delvan Mud...or even your P3 brown...I have used old GW black and fleshwash mix to good effect in the past. The highlight to your taste.

This process is sometimes called "dipping" as many people dip their figures in wood stain for a similar effect (often they don't even do highlights afterward). I like inks because you still have some control.

Here are a couple figures done with Delvan Mud:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd119/geekygamer/Malifaux/Killjoy_WIP_3.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd119/geekygamer/Malifaux/Killjoy_1.jpg

http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd119/geekygamer/Malifaux/?action=view&current=DSC_0024.jpg

Edited by Iron Heel

Looks like I'm going with plan B. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: I plan to start on collodi first. However instead of a simple paint job my ambition has kicked in and I plan to turn the nightmare puppeteer into the Puppet mater.

For those who do not know what Puppet master is please see below.

I also plan to make some of the Demonic toys. I think baby kade kinda already makes a good baby oopsie daisy. For those sho do not know what Demonic toys are see below.

If I feel really insane I may even try to make a chucky and a tiffany doll. And maybe a glen/da doll as well. And of course, for those who haven't see the latter of the chucky series here you go.

What is with me taking on such large projects? I don't care if I don't have enough points to field them all, I wanna make em!

This will probably be far more difficult than I am thinking it will but I've wanted to do this ever since I saw the collodi fluff in the second book.

What does everybody think?

Edited by kannachan

Collodi hates me. :1_Exhausted_Puppet:

The first two arms went on with no problem. But the two upper arms would not stay for anything.

I was finally able to get them to stay by dabbing on some greenstuff and then gluing the joint and applying some glue around the outside of the joint when the joint dried.

right now he's currently shelved so the primer can dry.

I'm thinking of making most of his gown/robe black, the cuff frill red, and the strings silver or white.

I've done some more work on collodi. Because there wasn't an actual "Puppet master" in the puppet master series I decided to model collodi after another iconic doll.

His name is billy and he wants to play with you.

post-7884-13911923318159_thumb.jpg

Everything was going well until I started on the 3 loop rings on the cheeks. My hands started shaking and it smudged. I'm just going to have to settle for the smudge for now.

Should I make the cords between the buttons silver or gold?

On a side note: Because his nose is so honking big it now looks like he has a really bad mustache.

• 2 weeks later...

After some time away, here I am with another update.

I'm not really fond of the way the SPAs look and I have eight of them at the moment so I decided to proxy a model of the same base size.

I don't remember the name of the individual model but it's from the game sedition wars.

Here is the as of the moment work in progress

post-7884-13911923449464_thumb.jpg

post-7884-13911923450241_thumb.jpg

Also: I recently got in the mail the Ramos box, the Marcus box, Two Hoarcat pride blisters, and one Jackalope. I do believe that is all of the Malifaux minis I ordered.

As soon as I finish the proxy SPA I plan to work on a Stitched together and paint it up like the Oogie boogie man

Busy, busy, busy.

Edit: Oh yeah, I finished collodi. I made the strings silver.

Edited by kannachan

• 1 month later...

Bringing this thread back from the brink again. My job ran out of work for my shift so I have more free time then I know what to do with this week. I've decided to get off my butt and start working on the ever growing mountain of minis.

But first, here is a piece of terrain I have been making since approximately two weeks ago.

It went from this:

post-7884-13911923822293_thumb.jpg

With the addition of this:

post-7884-13911923822947_thumb.jpg

To this:

post-7884-1391192382338_thumb.jpg

My fiance has asked to paint my Kirai and we've decided to do an crew in the scheme of Kuon.

The game already has Purple skinned, skinny creatures with distended stomachs called Gakis so I figured why not.

Perhaps the mulberry chest can be a evidence counter or something.

The standard "zombie" closely resembles the Onryo so not much needs to be done there.

Perhaps the Ikiryo could be the priestess's older sister. (The lady you see at 0:35)

I don't know what to do with Datsue-Ba however.

As per my style, those who have never played the ps2 game see below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG8M08FxCsE&feature=player_detailpage

Here is the Nekima she is done working on. Her one wing just doesn't want to go into the slot properly and she's afraid she'll break it if she tries to force it. Any suggestions? We just have it held in place with a thin layer of glue.

post-7884-1391192382396_thumb.jpg

post-7884-13911923824458_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's 3am and I'm unable to sleep. So here we go with another update.

This is for when Kirai is a spirit

post-7884-13911924042007_thumb.jpg

This is one of the young nephlim we're using instead of the angry cherub-thing.

post-7884-13911924042889_thumb.jpg

And here is the second one so far.

post-7884-1391192404359_thumb.jpg

Here's lost love. I started loosing interest halfway through so he's kinda blegh.

post-7884-13911924044261_thumb.jpg

Kirai front

post-7884-13911924045075_thumb.jpg

Kirai back

post-7884-13911924045905_thumb.jpg

I made biscuits!

Bisquick mix, shredded cheese, melted butter, water, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Not bad for a quick snack.

post-7884-13911924072173_thumb.jpg

After discussing with my fiance we have decided to make Malifaux themed cookies.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Heather thinks we should start off with raspy's head.

I'll post some more minis a bit later. I wanted to get this up before I forgot.

Here's what I have finished tonight.

post-7884-13911924153058_thumb.jpg

post-7884-13911924152421_thumb.jpg

Now then. As you can see from pictures below, I still have a large amount of work to do.

post-7884-13911924153635_thumb.jpg

post-7884-13911924154193_thumb.jpg

post-7884-13911924154652_thumb.jpg

I start my new job tuesday so as such I will have much less time to procrastinate.

This being the case I hereby issue myself a challenge to paint one mini a day.

Let the Mini-a-day challenge begin!