Noob Questions

Bromerican Man

Question

Hello Everyone, I've been a long time miniature gamer with my favorite game being Mordheim. An employee at the local game store back home told me to check Malifaux out; I am really impressed with the miniatures and style of the game. I have ordered a few boxed sets so my friends and I can get a few games in hopefully soon. Anyway, since we don't really have anyone to help us understand the rules I just have a few quick questions regarding the mechanics.

Firstly, I am a little confused regarding spell casting. I have noticed on the stat cards that many of the casting costs are over 12. Am I correct in understanding that the only way to cast these spells is with the use of a soulstone? If so, that would mean that these spells can only be cast several times per encounter? Also, after the casting cost is a suit symbol for the spell which I am assuming is the required suit that must be present to cast the spell. On some however there is a suit and then following it the same suit but greyed out. I have no Idea what this means...

Secondly, I am noticing a symbol in the range stat for some spells that is a picture of a man surrounded by a black bubble. There is also the same symbol but surrounded by a white bubble. I can't seem to find in the rulebook where these are explained...

Thank you any help would be greatly appreciated!

4 answers to this question

Your Casting Total is your Ca value + a card flip.. Sometime your Ca has a suit, if it does it will be greyed out to remind you..

So lets say I'm casting a spell that is 12:crows:masks and my cast is 4:crows.

I would need to flip a 8 of :masks to succeed in casting it.

4:crows + 8:masks = 12:crows:masks.

1 - Like in combat, you flip a card and add your CA whilst casting a spell (or CB in combat.) however unlike when making a strike, if you fail to hit the CC, the spell fizzles. You also lock in the co bat total, before any resisting takes place, so if you want to increase the total, do it first.

2 - What you are describing are Auras, and Pulses. If you look at them closely, I see a man surrounded by a bubble, in the first case, and a man sending out a shock-wave in the second. As such an Aura, follows the model round, wherever it moves to, as long as it lasts. A Pulse however, once sent out, is done, so if you then move, it's gone, until reactivated.

Welcome to the game and community, Frag!

Firstly, I am a little confused regarding spell casting. I have noticed on the stat cards that many of the casting costs are over 12. Am I correct in understanding that the only way to cast these spells is with the use of a soulstone? If so, that would mean that these spells can only be cast several times per encounter? Also, after the casting cost is a suit symbol for the spell which I am assuming is the required suit that must be present to cast the spell. On some however there is a suit and then following it the same suit but greyed out. I have no Idea what this means...

You're seeing a number of different things here, so I'll tackle 'em one at a time.

In regards to casting costs, the cost is the total (which includes any suits required) from your casting stat AND the card you flip from the deck. So if your casting stat is 6 and you need a 14 :masks to cast the spell, flipping an 8 :masks will successfully cast the spell. So will a 12 :masks, but not a 12 :tomes because the cast requires :masks. Note that, as with any duel, as long as there isn't a negative flip (:-fate) in your flip you may cheat from your hand. Read up on pages 26 to 29 in the Rules Manual for information on duels.

As mentioned above, you're correct that the suit in the casting cost means you need that suit in your duel total. If you see a suit greyed out, that means it's required but satisfied by your casting stat. That means, if your casting stat is 6 :rams and you flip a 9 :rams then your total for the attempt is 15 :rams :rams... hence why that total requires two of the suits. The reason that the suit is listed as grey is that the spell requires that suit in the total but it's getting it from the casting stat... unless some effect (usually an opponent's model affecting you) removes the suit from your casting stat. If that happens, you need to get that suit from your flip instead!

Secondly, I am noticing a symbol in the range stat for some spells that is a picture of a man surrounded by a black bubble. There is also the same symbol but surrounded by a white bubble. I can't seem to find in the rulebook where these are explained...

The black bubble is an Aura and the white bubble is a Pulse. These are on Page 20 of the Rules Manual. An aura extends from the model, includes the model in its effect and moves with the model if it moves. Auras remain until their effect says they end, or the Start Closing phase if it is not specified. A Pulse is an instantaneous effect that extends away from the model, does not include the originating model, and is over as soon as it takes effect. (Think of a shockwave.)

Hope those help!