mimic with hooded rider question

aracknight

Question

6 answers to this question

I dont see why not, as it is an ability of the rider, and you may copy ability's. Not sure how you would chose the time of day that it is set to though when you do, ie if you pick or if it is what the rider has it set to at that time.

IIRC he can't, as the rider picks Passage of Time: Morning/Noon/Night at the start of the game and the Chase the Sun spell modifies what he already has. Since the Doppleganger doesn't get a power at the start of the game casting the Chase the Sun spell doesn't actually give him any powers (since he doesn't have one to begin with).

I think I see where you're coming from. Due to the condition of the ability being that it is chosen at the start of the game.

This is going to sound dense, I'm just trying to get my head around it. Can someone explain the actual reason why when she mimics the ability it wouldn't just mimic the active ability being that it was in fact chosen at the beginning and done from there.

(if that wasn't totally clear I'll just throw it into the actual case. Doppleganger mimics the ability and must take it at high noon because that's where the rider has the ability currently) If there is a rule reason why that isn't how it works I'm totally cool with it, I just want to get my head around it so I stop thinking there's a loop hole :-) Thanks.

Not totally sure this even applies to my previous question but, as long as I'm here... IF its true that you must be able to choose what phase of passage of time you're using at the beginning of the game in order to use it, what happens when zoraida hexes it off him at some point then dies? Hex says they lose the talent until she's removed from play... so does the rider come back with the same stage he started the game with, would he come back with the stage he'd (0) action-ed into earlier... or would he not be able to regain the talent because it was lost and he couldn't choose a time since it wasn't the start of the game?

Edited by aracknight
had another question

iv not played for long and i am looking to get the Hooded Rider.

In this case i have used the mimic on a hooded rider and in the game we both said that when u mimic the saber u get the weapons + from what time it was on in the owning players turn.

if i mimic my mates HR and the last time he used him it was on Morning then i would get the slow skill added to anyone he hits. but would not get the 2nd skill. the Hard to wound 1

Thats how iv played him so far. but if thats wrong then ill change it.

You are copying his Abilities/Spells/etc, not effects he currently has on him. So you could gain his Passage of Time ability, as if it were written on the Doppleganger's card just as it is on the Hooded Rider's card, but the Ability does not allow you to gain any of those effects except at the start of the game. Same with the spell; it won't give you a new effect if you don't already have one.

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

As another example, say Teddy had cast Thing of Nightmares that turn to gain Flight. Doppleganger can Mimic Thing of Nightmares, but does not gain Flight just because Teddy has it. Doppleganger can then cast Thing of Nightmares (since it gets two 0's), and could choose any of the three options it liked.