Exorcist and Warden Questions.

Manlapas

I'm probably just exposing my noobitude, but here goes:

Exorcist:

Am I wrong, or is Exorcise just extremely situational compared to just shooting with the Sanctified Crossbow? Is there a spell synergy that makes (1)Exorcise better?

Warden:

What's the difference between the wording on Pinning Blow that requires a 'defender suffering 1 or more Wd' and Toss that says 'after damaging'? It seems to mean that Toss happens even if you do 0 Wounds?

On the Exorcist it's all about his trigger

Ca/Cb( :rams :crows ) Banish To Oblivion [Exorcise/Symbol of Office]: Instead of flipping for damage with this attack against a defender with the Undead, Soulless, Spirit, or Nightmare Characteristic, sacrifice the defender unless its Controller discards two Control Cards or one Soulstone. Only models with the Use Soulstone Ability may discard Soulstones.

It's a slightly weaker Headshot trigger. Since it's the exact same damage as the Crossbow it seems weaker, but late turn when your opponent is down to one card in hand... pretty powerful. Not to mention it is a Sacrifice trigger... double good as the defender will get no Slow To Die or leave any counters.

As to the Warden...

I don't have Book 3 and I have never played the Warden but if you are writing the abilities correctly (I trust you are,) you are absolutely correct. So with Pinning Blow a Master can burn a Soulstone to prevent, flip the Red Joker, and be safe from the effects of the trigger as opposed to Toss, which will hit regardless (so long as you declare it as your trigger.)

Warden:

What's the difference between the wording on Pinning Blow that requires a 'defender suffering 1 or more Wd' and Toss that says 'after damaging'? It seems to mean that Toss happens even if you do 0 Wounds?

It's been ruled in the past, IIRC, that "after damaging" refers to the entire process of damaging the model. You'd still need to damage the target, but if the target has a defensive trigger that allows it to somehow get away before that, your Trigger may get wasted.

Applying the Wound is actually one of the steps of the "damaging" and so the trigger which happens after model suffers a Wd happens before a Trigger which is resolved "after damaging". It will also interrupt the "damaging" process if needed and it may add to the Wd suffered etc.

The way I see it, Toss happens with normal timing, used by most other Triggers. Pinning Blow happens earlier and it can Paralyze the opponent before that opponent has a chance to use his own Df Trigger, which can be situationally convenient (depends on the timing of the Df trigger, also there are few such triggers which can be executed after getting hit - most of them require the attacker to miss the defender).

On the Exorcist it's all about his trigger

It's a slightly weaker Headshot trigger. Since it's the exact same damage as the Crossbow it seems weaker, but late turn when your opponent is down to one card in hand... pretty powerful. Not to mention it is a Sacrifice trigger... double good as the defender will get no Slow To Die or leave any counters.

Ah, I didn't notice that the trigger affected the spell and the weapon.

It's been ruled in the past, IIRC, that "after damaging" refers to the entire process of damaging the model. You'd still need to damage the target, but if the target has a defensive trigger that allows it to somehow get away before that, your Trigger may get wasted.

Applying the Wound is actually one of the steps of the "damaging" and so the trigger which happens after model suffers a Wd happens before a Trigger which is resolved "after damaging". It will also interrupt the "damaging" process if needed and it may add to the Wd suffered etc.

The way I see it, Toss happens with normal timing, used by most other Triggers. Pinning Blow happens earlier and it can Paralyze the opponent before that opponent has a chance to use his own Df Trigger, which can be situationally convenient (depends on the timing of the Df trigger, also there are few such triggers which can be executed after getting hit - most of them require the attacker to miss the defender).

So I think Pinning Blow is worded that way so it can prevent Slow to Die actions, among other possibilities. Is that about right?

Edited by Alex
Clarify the specifics!