Sue and Obey

Dorian

Question

I asked this once before, a while ago but the re-reading the answer I don't think my question was fully understood so here goes round 2.

The main question is: Do I count as the controller of the model when it is under the effects of Obey? (I cast Obey on it).

Scenario:

I activate Sue, I use his ability that gives friendly models "Duty" (Tread the line?). Duty says this models controller cannot be changed.

My opponent goes and does something that's not important.

I activate Zoraida & have her obey rogue necromancy (Who has not yet activated) to charge Sue. Rogue Necromancy is now in range of Sue's aura which grants Duty (Tread the Line?)

Now for logic flow & ease of understanding my thought process I have put the following into IF/THEN statements:

IF I am the controller of the model.

THEN the model is friendly to me as defined on page 13 of the rules manual.

IF the model is friendly to me.

THEN it gains Duty.

IF the model has Duty

THEN it's controller cannot be changed back to my opponent.

IF it has not activated and is locked under my control via Duty

THEN would I get to activate & control the models activation? Providing it stays in range of Sue & his aura of Duty?

10 answers to this question

As I understand it, a model doesn't become friendly when under your obey, you just become it's controller.

I don't own Sue or have Book 3 around, so I may be wrong on this, but the aura would end in the close phase unless it says otherwise in the spell description... so, even if you gained control of it, you would promptly lose it. Not that it couldn't be an awesome tactic.

Edited by Requirement

*Crash*

That was the sound of Sue breaking. Dorian, you break it, you buy it.

In all seriousness though, that does make a scary kind of sense. Seems to me like until the Rogue Nec loses Duty, it belongs to you.

As I understand it, a model doesn't become friendly when under your obey, you just become it's controller.

No, I remember it being ruled they were friendly, otherwise you could Alpha an enemy master to Drain Soul his own crew.

Edited by Finnegan
Alpha, not obey. Can't Obey a master

No, I remember it being ruled they were friendly, otherwise you could obey an enemy master to Drain Soul his own crew.

I thought I remembered it being that they lose friendly with their crew but don't necessarily become friendly to you. I can always be wrong though (and in fact, frequently am.)

There's the thread I was referring to: http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?26417-Drain-Souls-questions&p=334647&viewfull=1#post334647

So looking at p13 of the minibook, "A model is friendly [to a Crew] when it is under that Crew's control".

And Requirements, being wrong frequently is the best way to ensure you'll become right frequently. Live and learn. I do it all the time :P

The controller can not be changed willingly

False, Duty only states "This model's Controller cannot be changed" It states nothing about willingly or unwillingly. I do agree that Obey ends however Duty explicitly prevents control from being changed. Therefore while it would no longer be under the effects of Obey, the Controller can not be changed back to my opponent.

It is also incorrect in saying Obey would immediately end. That is unless you can cite evidence to the contrary, as nothing in Tread the Line states it ends the effect of Obey when models enter the aura.