new to the game

waspinator21

Copy pasted from the Pull my finger wiki http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/Gathering+Supplies

The following Masters are recommended for players beginning Malifaux.They all have an easy to understand playstyle, need few additional models, and have an excellent selection of models in their Start Box:

Lady Justice

Perdita Ortega

Seamus

Rasputina

Lilith

Viktoria

Von Schill

Ophelia LaCroix

The following Masters are not recommended for players beginning Malifaux. They all either have a complex or difficult to use playstyles or require a lot of extra models beyond what's in the starter box or have extremely steep learning curves.

Nicodem

Marcus

Colette

Pandora

The Dreamer

Leveticus

So'mer Teeth Jones

Hamelin

Generally speaking, if you have wargame experience, the learning curve isn't too bad. Oddly enough, I have found CCG experience can be helpful as well. It will take some getting used to with the cards since most other wargames are dice based, but once you get the hang of it, you find it is quite intuitive.

I find the very basics of the game are very easy. It is like playing 'war' with modifiers. It is the models themselves that add a complex nature to the game. A very fun, but complex, nature. You will also need to get in the mind set that the game is based off objectives, not just killing every model on the table.

hey guys, i recently picked up the rulebook. i have yet to play, but was wondering which crews would be the easiest ones to start off with?

My vote goes to Lady Justice Death Marshalls crew box and The Ortegas box.

Lady Justice is a melee beat stick (Strong Offense, needs help with Defense - ie Soul Stones) and the Death Marshalls can shoot and melee relatively well. The Judge is also a melee dude but can shoot with the best of them.

Perdita Ortega and her crew are more into shooting. I think I can compare her to eCaine (Warmachine-Cygnar) with aesthetics and combat. Nino is the Defender/Sniper of the crew and Papa Loco is the bomb (literally)... think Skarre Bomb - you can obey him to blow up and kill surrounding enemies.

Learning curve is not that high, you just have to get used to the card play and sequencing of turns.

Other than that, welcome to Malifaux... The Governor Wants You for the Guild!

Ooh, before I forget, you can also listen to Malifaux Podcasts: The Aethervox and Cheated Fates Radio.

Podcasts are a bit long 2-3 hours on average but they discuss tactica, fluff and model descriptions. Plus the hosts are funny and are part of the forums.

One more thing, if you are playing in a LGS, look for a Henchman in your area.. they are the Press Gangers of Malifaux. They would have demo crews you can play with and see with crews are more to your style.

My vote goes to Lady Justice Death Marshalls crew box and The Ortegas box.

Lady Justice is a melee beat stick (Strong Offense, needs help with Defense - ie Soul Stones) and the Death Marshalls can shoot and melee relatively well. The Judge is also a melee dude but can shoot with the best of them.

Perdita Ortega and her crew are more into shooting. I think I can compare her to eCaine (Warmachine-Cygnar) with aesthetics and combat. Nino is the Defender/Sniper of the crew and Papa Loco is the bomb (literally)... think Skarre Bomb - you can obey him to blow up and kill surrounding enemies.

Learning curve is not that high, you just have to get used to the card play and sequencing of turns.

Other than that, welcome to Malifaux... The Governor Wants You for the Guild!

Ooh, before I forget, you can also listen to Malifaux Podcasts: The Aethervox and Cheated Fates Radio.

Podcasts are a bit long 2-3 hours on average but they discuss tactica, fluff and model descriptions. Plus the hosts are funny and are part of the forums.

One more thing, if you are playing in a LGS, look for a Henchman in your area.. they are the Press Gangers of Malifaux. They would have demo crews you can play with and see with crews are more to your style.

Guild bias much?

Sheesh.

Seriously wasp, get a hold of one of Wyrd's very nice catalogs or peek through the big thick rulebooks and look at what each model looks like. Then base your decision on what you think looks cool. All of those box sets that Wyrdpainting listed are very viable starting sets for beginners. Find something in that first list you like the looks of and get a few games in. The great thing about this game is it really doesn't take that long to pick up. The basic mechanics are really easy, and once you get them, its all about fine-tuning your tactics, learning what your opponents stuff does, and eventually increasing your model count (so you can play different masters!).

Welcome to Malifaux!

Guild bias much?

Sheesh.

Seriously wasp, get a hold of one of Wyrd's very nice catalogs or peek through the big thick rulebooks and look at what each model looks like. Then base your decision on what you think looks cool. All of those box sets that Wyrdpainting listed are very viable starting sets for beginners. Find something in that first list you like the looks of and get a few games in. The great thing about this game is it really doesn't take that long to pick up. The basic mechanics are really easy, and once you get them, its all about fine-tuning your tactics, learning what your opponents stuff does, and eventually increasing your model count (so you can play different masters!).

Welcome to Malifaux!

LOL

Well, I can only speak from experience.

Although if I could start all over again, I'd pick up either the Viks or Leveticus... even possibly Nicodem.

I was supposed to start with Seamus.. but I got into Malifuax right after my Walking Dead Marathon.. so safe to say, I was all Zombied out.

My primary master for the last two years has been Rasputina. I think she's an excellent choice for a beginner and quite different in her play style from any other master in the game.

Rasputina focuses on ranged magical attacks, generating explosion markers on moderate and severe damage results; making her an absolute beast against any crew that needs to keep in some kind of tight group. Combined with the Overpower trigger, her main attack spell, December's Curse, can fire off as many times as you're able to cast with a mask and still do damage; making her a veritable artillery piece. I've literally cast more than six curses in a single activation, wiping out half of my opponent's crew.

She can also fire her spells around corners using most of her minions like arc-nodes, avoiding a lot of the challenges associated with the dense terrain common to Malifaux while giving her some additional protection. To enhance this power further, she's able to generate persistent blocking terrain pieces with another spell, Ice Pillars. She can effectively shut down a ranged crew in a couple activations, forcing them to come within range of her more melee oriented minions. Ice Pillars can be broken, but even then they produce severe terrain; further slowing opponents down. I've had some success using this tactic to trap my opponents in the open for an extra round of December's curse.

Her weakness include low mobility and low defense. She has one of the slowest walk speeds in the game, and in a straight fight she can go down like a paper bag in a wind storm. Even though she is admittedly not a good master to take into melee, she also shouldn't be underestimated at short range. Her 0 spell, Biting Chill, has a range 6 and overpowers automatically if it inflicts damage. It can quickly reduce even a master to a single wound. In other words, if your opponent can't seal the deal and take her out, his character isn't likely to live through the attempt.

I will admit, Rasputina is not widely considered to be a competitive master. She has a limited number of tricks that you opponents will work out counters for. Her straightforwardness, which makes her good for beginners, starts to work against her as your opponents take better advantage of terrain and select schemes that capitalize on her slowness.