Combat Mechanic and Arcing Screen Questions

A_Hamster

Question

These came up in play yesterday, and I couldn't find answers through the search engine. Hoping someone could clarify. Thank you for your time.

1. Ramos' Combat Mechanic spell says: "Discard 1 Scrap Counter, or kill 1

friendly Construct within range. " The range as stated on the spell is 6". May Ramos use a Scrap Counter within 6" of his model to give a friendly construct who is not within of that Scrap Counter the Healing flip?

2. More generally, can any caster using a Counter use any Counter within the spell range not carried by other models, or must they carry the Counter?

3. Ramos' Arcing Screen: "Attackers hitting affected models with melee Strikes suffer 2Wd." As this does not state it is Magical, we played it as inflicting 2 Wds on models with Spirit, and then halving that to 1 Wd. Are we playing that correctly?

4. If a Guardian using Protect absorbs wounds from the protected model, can it apply its armor to reduce the number of wounds taken?

4 answers to this question

Pretty sure I got this, though I might be off on 1 and 2 if I am missing some errata or ruling.

1. A little confused on this one but I will try to answer it based on what I think you are asking.

When you use Combat Mechanic you discard one scrap counter or kill one friendly construct with in the 6" range. At which point Ramos or another model with in the range of the spell, ie 6", gets a healing flip. So you could use a scrap counter that was 6" to your left to heal a construct 6" to your right as the ranges are drawn from Ramos.

2. Generally from what I have gathered the spell will tell you the range of what counters you can use. So if the spell does not say a range such as "Discard one Scrap Counter with in 6"." or "Discard one scrap counter with in range" then you would have to discard counters that are on the model. I don't think the range of the spell necessarily has any bearing on the distance for discarding as much as the wording of the spell.

3. The ability inflicts Wds rather than Dg, both armor and spirit reduce Dg rather than Wd. While this might not seem like much of a difference it is. Effectively you calculate first how much Dg a model is dealt, reduce or increase it by any modifiers *such as armor*, and then turn the Dg to Wds on the model *at which point any abilities to reduce or increase Wds happens*.

4. Don't have the Guardian's card in front of me but if the Protect ability passes the Wounds to the Guardian then no, it does not get its armor as per the same reasons as #3.

As far as your question on the Guardian and Protect spell; The Guardian would absorb the wounds that the model that has the effects of the Protect spell would take. The Guardians armor would not reduce the wounds he absorbs.

But, if the model being attacked has armor, then that would reduce the damage before it is turned into wounds that the Guardian would absorb.