Random Clarifications Requests? Rules Lawyers Assemble!

Vidiot

Question

Last night my buddy and I ran into some questions (mostly due to me playing my Tuco proxy while chomping at the bit for the actual release date in April).

While we found quite a few answers out here, there were a couple that eluded us.. While I try to think through things with a logical slant he tends to go more on the literal wording. Neither method leads to our questions being truly addressed and then that just leads to us hitting each other..

So, here goes Rules Wizards! Hear my pleas for aid!

1. Grudge: I had this as a scheme and he figured out which model was the target. He decided to kill him (well, attempt to kill him that is). Would this be a viable strategy to deny me the VP of killing him? Officially, I would agree.. But logically, I think this is a slippery slope. Think of Kill Protege.. If he wanted to deny me, knew who the target was, turn and kill his own model right out the gate solely for the purpose of denying the +2 VP since it was announced I think that goes against the grain of the game. However, I know that crews can kill their own models (Perdita - Papa Loco, McMourning for body parts, etc..) with good effect but does in the case of Grudge or Protege toss an unwelcome monkey wrench into the works?

2. More Grudge: We also got into a position that the target of the above said Grudge was getting mauled by my Lelu. He was taken down to 1Wd before the end of the turn and took on Poison2. We then resolved effects and started the next turn. He activated the Grudge target, who then took his remaining 1Wd due to poison, and died. The question here is.. Does this satisfy the criteria for Grudge to award me VP? Im my mind, all attacks on the model were melee (by a non-master minion - Lelu), and as a result, was poisoned, and in turn, died as a result of melee strikes (well,if melee had never been involved, poison never would have been applied). I tend to go the logical route, saying that Grudge makes you get your hands dirty by entering melee and killing the grudge. He dies as a result of my melee attack, albeit by the poison applied during that attack, so that qualifies as completing Grudge. However, I can also see it from the more literal point of view. Although the target dies, he does not "officially" die due to the wording "If the noted Minion was killed by one of your non-master models melee Strikes or Melee Spells". Since Claws or Bite didn't do him in, but the poison did, it doesn't satisfy the VP criteria. Thoughts?

3. Taint Loyalty: Tuco has a spell that, if successful, removes the target models Faction affiliation and is not considered friendly to any other model in in game. This lasts till the end of the turn (unless a triggered event happens but that's not important in this case) but our question is this. What exactly happens to an un-factioned, un-friendly model. Does he just wander aimlessly, not able to do anything this turn? I'm assuming that he's just sort of in limbo and can't activate or perform any actions. Anyone else?

4. Lastly, Freikorps armor: Tuco has a shotgun, Dg 2/3Blast/4Blast,Blast. If targeting a Freikorps, whose armor "may ignore damage from pulse, aura, and blast effects", can Tuco hit him with anything other than weak Dg? I'm in the camp that the number is the damage from the shotgun itself and not blast effect. If the moderate or severe comes up, then the targeted Freikorps would take the 3 and 4 respectively. However, any surrounding Freikorps, if within the blast radius, would not take any damage due to it being a blast effect. Does this sound correct? Literal guy is in the camp that says since the the moderate and severe contain blasts, then the moderate and severe damages would be considered "blast effects" and thus wouldn't connect with the targeted model.

That's all for now but it's hard to imagine that one game generated so many questions.. Planets must have aligned somehow.. Anyway, thanks in advance for any input or clarifications.

6 answers to this question

1. You can kill your own model and deny VP.

2. Poison actually isn't your model killing it, so wouldn't supply you with the VP.

3. That model is still controlled by you. It's just not considered friendly, etc for the purposes of targets and effects. The spell does not cause a change in model's controller.

4. Yes, the initial target of the shot is not taking blast damage. You can do any amount, it's just that the actual blast markers can't do damage (and again, the blast marker is not doing damage to the original model.

Was that all the questions? Sorry if I missed any.

I could be real wrong, but I will attempt to help you.

1) I am pretty sure that as it stands now, you can kill your own model and deny VP. Grudge and Protege are two really tricky schemes to announce... you have to pick the right model.

2) As it stands (again I could be wrong) but I believe because the poison killed him, you get no VP. Somebody correct me if i am wrong.

3) The model still gets to activate, but is not considered friendly. Ryle is like this all the time. It mostly affects some spells ("Target friendly model") and a few abilities ("gains +1ca per friendly construct in base contact.")

4) The initial shot isn't the blast so shoot away. Other Freikorps models will not, however, be damaged by subsequent blasts.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Sniped again.

Thanks for the insight guys. It's always tough to make the correct call while in the heat of battle and a game is on the line.

I'll have to take Lelu's poison (as well as his Twisted Thoughts) into consideration when attacking a Grudge target. If it hadn't been for a poorly timed flay (bet you never heard flay referred in the negative before) the target would have made it past the Poison so Lelu could have finished him off.

As for the VP denial (on Grudge and Protege) we both agreed that per rules it's viable. This will make me rethink announcing (or even selecting it as a scheme) if there is only 1 choice for Protege target. As for last nights game (Grudge), he was shooting into melee or he very well could have finished him off for the VP denial.

And thanks for the clarification on removing faction affiliation. What I wonder now is that model able to complete objectives, etc? Or is the faction removal solely to limit area effects and the like that might he might benefit from by being considered "friendly"?