shuffling/ re-reshuffling

teramaze

Question

ok just seems odd that face up shuffling would be legal in the game.

While it's not technically prohibited, I do think it would be bad form. I understand the why of it. As a bridge shuffler, I know that the cards will warp over time to a degree. Shuffling face up from time to time will help prevent this. But, I will only do this pregame, and always give a number of normal shuffles before start of play. I honestly can't figure why anyone would thing it was ok to do otherwise.

I always thought that the correct way to shuffle a deck was to slaughter a gremlin and use it's blood to help lubricate the shuffle.. Gremlins are traditionally lucky creatures so this helps reintroduce luck to the deck...

Are you saying this is not the normal way to shuffle your deck?

Oh and you let your opponent cut the deck afterwards...

More seriously

• You Shuffle the discard pile and remainder of the deck together.
  • Ask your opponent to cut.
  • Discard any cards you want from your hand. (including Black Joker. I normally discard it if I believe the turn is going to be the decisive turn, an extra card is more important than the chance of flipping the Black Joker after the game has been decided, but different people do it different ways)
  • Redraw up to your hand limit.
  • Flip for initiative.

Edited by Ratty

I always thought that the correct way to shuffle a deck was to slaughter a gremlin and use it's blood to help lubricate the shuffle.. Gremlins are traditionally lucky creatures so this helps reintroduce luck to the deck...

Only do this if you're using the plastic Puppet deck - it's too hard washing the gremlin blood off the regular paper cards. :P

If you are asking about the actual shuffling technique, I'll tell you what my Dad told me:

1) Side-by-side shuffling re-orders the pack in lumps, so now you don't know how high in the pack a certain card will appear.

2) Ripple shuffling separates adjacent cards, so you no longer know that 2 specific cards will be together.

As such, you should combine the 2, i.e. do a side-to-side, then a ripple, then a S-S, ripple, etc. 3 cycles of that should do the job.

Example: If you finished your turn with an awesome combo, say Red Joker Plus Mask 13, they are adjacent at the top of your discard pile. Then you shuffle.

If you only ripple, they will both now be at the bottom of your draw pile.

If you only S-S, they may well still be adjacent, so if one appears, there's a very good chance the other will be your next flip.

Example: If you finished your turn with an awesome combo, say Red Joker Plus Mask 13, they are adjacent at the top of your discard pile. Then you shuffle.

If you only ripple, they will both now be at the bottom of your draw pile.

If you only S-S, they may well still be adjacent, so if one appears, there's a very good chance the other will be your next flip.

Which is why you should do both.

Doing a side to side then ripple then cut should mix the cards up plenty for any reasonable person. Especially considering the way the cards come out in Malifaux means even cards next to each other could appear in completely different flips.