So.. I just had my first Malifaux Game... (Lady J and Death Marshall box)

dunce002917

So over the weekend I played my first ever Malifaux game.

It's a 15 ss 3-way game against Kirai and Ramos.

So I dropped 1 Death Marshall and had 4 ss.

Deployment was corners and I flipped the Reconnoiter strategy. Kirai and Ramos got the Slaughter and Treasure Hunt strategies respectively. We did not have schemes this game as we are still learning the game.

Right off the bat, I'm at a disadvantage because I only have 4 models: LJ, Judge, 2 Death Marshalls and for me to get all 4 VPs, I should have 4 models in each quadrant.

Ramos got his spiders and the Steamborg Spider while Kirai had the Lost Love and some spirits.

Anyway, my first error was having the Judge go after the Quadrant where Kirai's group was. I did not know how fast Kirai and her spirits moved so Judge got beat and poisoned. Pretty much leaving him practically dead on his next activation. I had LJ go and avenge the Judge and killed a Shikome which forced Kirai to ignore my lowly group and catch up with Ramos who currently got his treasure.

Turn 3-4, Judge died and another Death Marshall died. No chance of winning so I just took this chance to learn combat (I screwed up the twisting fates and total combat values) and killed the Steamborg Spider (cool!) and saved a Death Marshall from being Spider food.

The encounter ended in a tie.. me being too far from the action to do anything. Kirai lost her VP points from killing the Judge and a Death Marshall (11 pts) by losing her Shikone's and other spirits. I practically prevented Kirai from winning by killing the Steamborg. The Ramos player called it a tie since nothing is happening on the board anymore and that ended our game.

First impressions, my painted and based LJ group looked awesome on the board.

I need to learn the stats of my opponents.

I have to be careful with the combat total values, twisting fates and suites . (and declaring the correct trigger)

I like the game... I just have to re-flip my strategy (at least while in small ss encounters).

I can't wait to build, paint and base my Sonnia and Hoffman crews....

so.. any tips or tricks?

So far, my group plays Ramos... he's looking at another master.

The Kirai player also has the Dreamer.

Just some observations one a three way game is not really advisable, but is do able with certain strategies being limited.

As for the size 15 game, to me is too hard to play any objective strategies. Boxsets are all roughly 25 so should always strive for min 25 game.

Im glad based on above the experience was not negative.

As for your points on improvement all fairly sound.

Welcome to the game

First, I'm not incredibly familiar with the game, and learning, myself, so I only have a few general suggestions

1- try to stick to just minis in the first book while learning, they're a bit more reasonable/balanced with each other

2- start with just one strategy and at most one scheme

3- try to play the same master and against the same master at least a couple times in a row.

These won't give you the "full experience," but Malifaux has one of the more complex sets of pieces and objectives in any game I've played, and I think that taking a simpler approach, with fewer variables, is a better approach to learning the fundamentals of the game.

I'd also suggest doing scenarios other than "kill each other," as maneuvering is a big part of the game.

Thanks. I'll suggest to go up to 25 ss next time. I think each of us have a bit more models now so we could probably go up in ss points.

We just wanted to learn the mechanics in smaller model counts so that could get the hang of the rules.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

First, I'm not incredibly familiar with the game, and learning, myself, so I only have a few general suggestions

1- try to stick to just minis in the first book while learning, they're a bit more reasonable/balanced with each other

2- start with just one strategy and at most one scheme

3- try to play the same master and against the same master at least a couple times in a row.

These won't give you the "full experience," but Malifaux has one of the more complex sets of pieces and objectives in any game I've played, and I think that taking a simpler approach, with fewer variables, is a better approach to learning the fundamentals of the game.

I'd also suggest doing scenarios other than "kill each other," as maneuvering is a big part of the game.

Yes, I would like to steer clear of the kill everyone strategies.. it feels like a regular skirmish which can get boring after a few games.