Perdita v Anethema

Hida Kaiju

Question

Sorry if this has already been covered, my search fu did not reveal it to me.

Does Perdita's "See the unseen" protect her from Seamus's "Anethema"?

My guess is that it does as it lets Perdy ignore any increase to Def or Range & and Duels required to target a model.

As Anethema says it ignores "immunities" her "Immune to influence" won't save her, but S.T.U isn't an immunity.

Now Anethema says that it affects all models that do not have Anathema (Which Perdy doesn't have), ignoring immunities to terrifying, but STU ignores the terrifying duel.

Any help here would be appreciated peeps.

Moz.

17 answers to this question

How does Anathema affect Def, Range or duels to Target?

It's basically super terrifying (which immune to influence doesn't ignore by the way). Terrifying does not stop you targetting a model. I can cause you to take a moral duel which, if you fail it, will cancel whatever action you're currently doing but that's not the same thing.

See the Unseen doesn't help you.

Taking a WP duel against terrifying is nothing to do with targeting. The only situation you might be thinking of is if Perdita wants to Charge an anathema. The terrifying duel though is a different type of ability to those that limit targeting eg. harmless

Mike

Right, I'm fairly new to Faux so hadn't realised the difference there. So terrifying come into play before an action, even if all that was was a move or such. Cool.

How does this work for a charge?, do you make a terrifying test when declaring the charge, and would she ignore that?

Cheers fella's.

Moz.

Nope, if you start out of the range of terrifying and declare a charge you then need to check for terrifying. It hasn't stopped you targetting it, you've already done that.

However if you fail the test the charge fails and you fall back. STU will not stop this. If you pass the test then you may charge and as long as the charge ends within the range of Terrifying then you wont have to test again until you leave.

Ok, so I can charge an Anathema from outside of Terrifying & spend a bunch of actions inside Terriying without making a check as long as I started outside?

Cool, cheers Mike.

Just quoting the RM here, page 57

- Begin their activation in a Terrifying effect's range

- End an Action in a Terrifying effect's range.

- Enter a Terrifying effect's range and do not have either Flight or Float

- Declare a Charge targeting a model with the Terrifying ability

1)Begin activation inside.

2)End an activation inside

3)Enter the range without flight or float (note, entering has not been properly defined in the rules, and has been asked for clarification. Ratty was unable to say whether a model summoned, for example, has to take an instant test if he is placed inside the range)

4)Test when declaring a charge. Declare charge, fail, fallback; otherwise go forward. Normal terrifying Perdita ignores, Avatar Seamus she runs from on fail =3

4)Test when declaring a charge. Declare charge, fail, fallback; otherwise go forward. Normal terrifying Perdita ignores, Avatar Seamus she runs from on fail =3

I don't believe Perdita has anything that lets her avoid Terrifying at all. Immune to Influence only helps when she's the defender - since Morale Duels are not opposed there is no defender, so she's vulnerable.

Ok, I just looked at Terrifying. I believe STU would help when declaring the Anethema a charge target, but not in any other situation.

Because it doesn't otherwise affect terrifying.

Interesting. This is a distinction I don't think I've seen anyone catch before, but as near as I can find you are correct.

It's not a duel to see if you can target the model though, it's a morale duel caused by targeting the Terrifying model. You're still allowed to target it all you want, you'll just be scared when doing it.

The thing is, pretty much every ability which inhibits targeting follows the same wording structure as Terrifying. "When targeting this model, do a duel or something happens." In most cases, the action fails - but equally though, you're still allowed to target it all you want. I can see the wording of See the Unseen covering those situations equally well, so that's where I'm leaning on this one.