Forests and Swamp Board

Antiquitas

I have a game lined up for Sunday - my Lilith crew vs. Zoraida / Collodi but nether of us had a 36" board.

Thursday night I cut two 18" by 36" 6mm ply sheets (so i can fit them in the car) and set about making something quick.

I wanted to include about 25% forest, a swamp or two (25%), grassland, a river and a road.

Forests are usually a problem, but I had some aquarium plants that i could cut up and they are nice and flexible. I put some tracks in the forest to aid LOS and movement and highlight the different sections.

IMG_3040.JPG

The river was cut out, textured and varnished and the road/track was sanded into the polystyrene to give it some profile.

I have yet to make a bridge for it, but this will be removable anyway - ie. ford or bridge.

Boardwalks, made from placemats, connect up the swamp islands.

IMG_3038.JPG

The big trees I have had for about 40 years from a trainset.

Most of the buildings etc are stuff I had made for 40K years ago.

Just about ready for Sunday

IMG_3042.JPG

IMG_3044.JPG

IMG_3048.JPG

IMG_3046.JPG

IMG_3056.JPG

- all I need to do now is finish painting my crew...

Looks like an awesome board to play on, but the really impressive part is how quick you knocked it out. I really liked the brief rundown you gave on it's construction, and +1 on the aquarium plants, I've used them to great effect over the years (have some nice aquarium scenery, too.) Always checking the sale stuff whenever I hit the pet stores for cat supplies. Thanks for sharing.

You just need a fog machine so you can have a nice little mist out on the board while playing.

That would look cool! Must add one to my wish-list!

In the meantime, just finished the foot bridge, a couple more boardwalks, and another coat of varnish:

IMG_3059.JPG

IMG_3060.JPG

(https://picasaweb.google.com/101349816882171524792/SwampBoardFeb252012?authkey=Gv1sRgCJCJzrnfm_7cKA)

And the rest of the crew got a quick paint job.