Charges as a result of abilities

Calmdown

Question

Simple question: if a spell or ability (for example, a failed Sooey! from various Gremlin models or the Bloodhound ability of a Canine Remains) calls for a charge but the charge target is out of Line of Sight, what happens? If the model is an illegal charge target for another reason (no straight line to target, etc) what happens?

Thanks

6 answers to this question

Reading sooey, since it is a pulse if they pass the resist duel they push towards Somer regardless of los, as long as all other pulse rulea are met.

Those that fail sooey, I guess without los the charge would fail like normal and no movement since spell doesn't say ignore los. But I could see it being ruled the other way.

Since bloodhound doesnt ignore los i think closest will be determined by los.

Otherwise if no straightline. Like any other charge move until you can't get any closer.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

Those that fail sooey, I guess without los the charge would fail like normal and no movement since spell doesn't say ignore los. But I could see it being ruled the other way.

Otherwise if no straightline. Like any other charge move until you can't get any closer.

Ordinarily page 42 of the Rules Manual under Step 1 of the Strike sequence would support this line of reasoning, however in the case of Sooey! this step is skipped as the target and range have already been determined by the failure of the spell (so LOS it not neccesary). The pigs would then move their Cg toward the model regardless of LOS only being stopped by interveening models and terrain (if they are not also flying).

Edited by Omenbringer

Bumping this back onto page 1 in the hopes of an RM answer.

Also would like to add a further example:

Smell Fear triggers when stuff fails a morale duel, but given that to cause a morale duel you have to be in melee range (generally) and you cannot legally charge a target that is within your melee range, it seems to me that Smell Fear is essentially useless on models like The Hanged and Rogue Necromancy unless there is another model causing morale duels nearby?

Bumping this back onto page 1 in the hopes of an RM answer.

Also would like to add a further example:

Smell Fear triggers when stuff fails a morale duel, but given that to cause a morale duel you have to be in melee range (generally) and you cannot legally charge a target that is within your melee range, it seems to me that Smell Fear is essentially useless on models like The Hanged and Rogue Necromancy unless there is another model causing morale duels nearby?

You are correct i believe. I remember seeing a ruling about it once but i could be mistaken. I will try searching for awhile and see what i come up with.

Found it:

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?21181-Rogue-necromancy-smell-fear-and-charging&highlight=smell+fear

Edited by von Clausewitz