Questions about questions

Averlorn

Well, two weeks ago I heard for the first time of Malifaux and was after a short time fascinated of the story and of course the factions and the miniatures. This week I got the rulebook and I soon read it.

My dilemma is now what faction I should use to begin. I know it's a difficult question ,I also read some posts in the faction thread but I'm still not sure what to take....

I'm still hesitating between Nicodem, Collodi, Pandora and Rasputina.

Because of my only mediocre painting skill I thought that Rasputina would be a little bit complicated to paint. Nicodem is imho the easiest for painting, because of the dark colours (hey, and I really like the idea of zombies thinking they are punks :-))

Collodi's story fascinated me, same as the one of Pandora ....

In therm of playing, which crew do you think is easier to play with. I know, they all have their pros/contras....

In therms of playing I prefer to weak the opponent from distance and to make the final strike after a certain time (is this playable in Malifaux)?

Thanks in advance for the help;

Christian

I'd skip Nicodem and lean towards Rasputina. Nicodem is a bit underpowered compared to most of the other masters, if not all of them- fluff-wise I love the guy, but some of his key mechanics aren't as nice as those from other masters. Collodi and his Marionettes can zip around the board and basically with him you pick a target and pummel it to death before moving to the next one. Pandora uses lots of Willpower-related abilities to whittle models to zero wounds. Both Collodi and Pandora require some time to learn, but they can be very nasty once you do.

Rasputina is a straight-up blaster and her minions work like nodes in Warmachine (you can cast her spells through them, though there's a slight penalty). She's slow, so movement-based strategies will be tough (and Malifaux has a lot of them) but in exchange she has area denial abilities and can blast the living tar out of almost anything.. Nothing says fun like hitting her main blast spell for Severe damage, resolving the effects, and then...doing it all over again thanks to a trigger *smug*

If I unerstand well the neverborns are a faction for more experienced players.

Don't let that deter you from picking them first if you really like them, though. I personally started with the Dreamer, both because I love his fluff and because I like a steep learning curve with good payback. Though I must warn you that people may not like playing against you if you make Pandora your main Master: she's pretty much all about punishing your opponent for doing anything at all, and can be annoying to play against if you're inexperienced.

The neverborn typically have a lot of tricks which can make learning the game difficult for both you and your opponent. Lilith is the main exception because she only has a few tricks. I think the order of complexity would start with Lilith, then Zoraida, followed by Collodi, Pandora, and the Dreamer. All of the neverborn masters are competative. Lilith is not typically listed as "top tier", but she is close to the top, all the others are more competetive than she is. Pandora and the Dreamer are frequently mentioned at the top.

I think the standard recommended masters for beginers are Lilith, Rasputina, Seamus, Peredita, and the Viktorias. All are fairly straight forward in play style. They also work well to demo the game against each other.

Ok , I think i'll start with Nicodem or Rasputina. Don't know which exactly of both but i think i'll check with some friends who also want to start. If one of them takes rasputina i'll take Nicodem, if not i'll take Rasputina. Maybe i'll start later on a second crew which will then be one of the Neverborns (I think Collodi or Lilith).

Wyrd doesn't make it easy to make a fast choice. Well done :-)

@ alle: Thank you for your help!