A sad week for proper music

I wasn't going to post a thread after hearing of the sad passing of Jonny Otis yesterday, despite the avatar change, but it turns out that Etta James - who co-incidentally was discovered by him - has now also passed.

A sad week for proper R & B and soul music - which I love - as opposed to the crap that passes for it these days.

Willie & the Hand Jive

[ame]

[/ame]

And Wallflower (composed by JO, sung by Etta)

[ame]

[/ame]

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks the modern music scene is crap. I tend to have a wide variety of stuff that I listen to, but my overall music type is progressive/alternative. (ie: smashing pumpkins, NIN, Bush,.. and the like) At least these are what I gravitate to.

In my area at least, this style of music has all but died on the radio. Every single station that I can tune to plays nothing but pop music. And it's the same 6 songs on every station,.. being played over and over and over again. It all sounds the same to me. It's like the Disney brats from the Mickey Mouse club all grew up and became singers. And all of their music sounds the same,.. because none of them are truely "artists".

I say this because none of them write their own songs anymore. Someone else writes the music, and then some corporate executive hands it to the singer. Most of their voices have been digitally enhanced through one process or another to make them all sound good and the same. It just seems to me that this new generation are all completely "manufactured celebrities", with no real talents of their own.

I wonder what would happen if you took away all the enhancement machines,.. and then expected the person to sing live in front of people? And what if the artists actually had to write their own lyrics,.. and then set them to music. What happens when the artist actually had to sit down and determine where the drum beats go,.. and what the guitar riffs should sound like. Do you think they even could?

Anyways,.. sorry for my little rant. Guess the corporations are just forcing me to part with more money, by ensuring that if I want real music,.. that I therefore must buy it from a satellite service of some kind.

I wasn't aware of this, sad to hear, but the legacy is still there - that will never die.

I'm only 20 (probably still be saying that 60), and I put up enjoying my music alone because none of my friends seem to be able register real talent.

As well as these 'manufactured celebreties' it irks me that people seem to recognise music that sounds complex - guitars with loads of strings, huge drum kits - but don't recognise the genius that can lie behind a single, simple note. Irksome indeed...

To the victorius dead, may they jive for eternity =]