Just starting out... with rasputina

Hallowed1

So I just got taught how to play Malifaux. I decided to pick up rasputina as my first crew. I didnt like her normal model so I didnt buy the crew box instead I picked up her alt because it is amazing, a blister of ice gamin, a december acolyte, and an essence of power. is this a descent starting crew or should I have picked up different models to start?

What are the "must have" models to go with rasputina? any strategies or tips as I'm learning more about the game?

Hey, welcome to the forums and Malifaux in general.

The wiki is a good place to start almost regardless of what you're looking for, Rasputinas page is here, I'd suggest you give it a read :)

If you have any questions after that feel more than free to ask.

Your crew is currently a little small (minions amounting to only 20SS total, most games tend to be 25-35SS), and sadly the Acolyte is considered to be somewhat subpar.

Most people would tell you that a Silent One is a Must-Have (she also fits in thematically).

Beyond that I always like to take some sort of quick model to help alleviate Rasputinas inherent weakness of being awfully(!!) slow. There's many ways to go depending on strategies and personal preferences:

If you do a forum search and find some old threads alot of people will suggest the Cerberus, and as fine as it is I believe we've received better options for Rasputina in Book2 and 3.

Coryphée, Mechanical Rider and Von Schill are my personal favourites, if speed doesn't matter as much for the strategy I like to take Kaeris (whose Wk5 and Flight makes her quite mobile still).

Some people will probably suggest Snow Storm, and while they're a thematical fit, they work a bit differently and are tricky to get the most of. It helps adding speed to your entire crew while not being super fast on its own, so not suited for every strategy. On top they're very expensive and some crews/models can still take it out in a blink, which is really a depressing experience :( For those reasons I wouldn't recommend it when you're just starting out.

Edited by LastDinosaur

Some people will probably suggest Snow Storm, and while they're a thematical fit, they work a bit differently and are tricky to get the most of. It helps adding speed to your entire crew while not being super fast on its own, so not suited for every strategy. On top they're very expensive and some crews/models can still take it out in a blink, which is really a depressing experience :( For those reasons I wouldn't recommend it when you're just starting out.

I agree. Losing your Snow Storm to a Witchling Stalker (or any other hard hitter with a magical weapon) in a single turn is rough. Plus, in a 25SS match he's going to account for 50% of your crew (assuming you bank 3-4 SS).

I really swear by Snow Storm with Raspy. He speeds up her entire force, protects models against shooting, and is very survivable. Yeah he can be dropped like a rock against some lists, but those lists generally table Raspy's armies in seconds anyway (you will find some match up are amazingly hard to over come).

Atleast one silent one is standard too. since you can ice mirror through her for one -1 to cast and she can increase the range of Curse of December by 3, she drastically increases the threat range of Raspy's spells.

The Acolyte is good option, not the greatest for regular Tina though. You will want him though if you pick up Avatar Tina, since you need some type of Grave robber model on the table to generate the corpse tokens she will need in Avatar form. Also he can eat gremins and rats, which is very useful.

And welcome to Malifaux, the game is amazingly fun.

A gunsmith or convict gunslinger are not a bad options (when is a convict gunslinger EVER a bad option?!?) to give you additionally ranged pow-wow. You can still Ice Mirror through them if they are close enough to Raspy to get Frozen Heart, or you can use the Silent One to give them Frozen Heart if you want to push the distance on Ice Mirror to its limit.

A gunsmith or convict gunslinger are not a bad options (when is a convict gunslinger EVER a bad option?!?) to give you additionally ranged pow-wow. You can still Ice Mirror through them if they are close enough to Raspy to get Frozen Heart, or you can use the Silent One to give them Frozen Heart if you want to push the distance on Ice Mirror to its limit.

Well, personally I for one am not that fond of the idea of the Convict in a Rasputina crew.

One of the two great things about the Convict is Trigger Happy, but Rasputina wants those Masks for herself to Overpower her curses. :/

It's the same reason that I find the Cerberus to be somewhat subpar to the other choices I listed.

By the way I forgot to mention the as of yet unreleased Blessed of December in my previous post. It has more or less the same role as the Cerberus, but fits better thematically with Rasputina - I haven't played my Tina crew in quite a while now though and haven't had the chance to proxy it.. So this is only theorizing, but for what it's worth I'd rate it between the Cerberus and the other options I mentioned, ie. more useful than the Cerberus, but still less so than the others.

Those Gunsmiths are well worth their stones.
Agreed. Works very well.

@OP: We usually play 30 ss locally, so I don't have a 25 ss ready, but here's my 30 ss Rasputina crew.

Rasputina

EoP

Silent One

3 Ice Gamin

Gunsmith

Balance goes to cache.

The thing I find about playing her is it is like the start-up sequence for the Death Star cannon. First, you turn on a Ice Gamin to give her +1 DAM, then the Silent One to boost the range of effect on her ranged attack spell, then you move the remaining gamin into LoS so 'Tina can Ice Mirror through them. It is slow. Meanwhile, your opponent is trying to monkey-wrench that and break LoS. It can be worth it once you get all the parts working and she can drop multiple blasts with the Overpower trigger.

Edit 1: About the Acolyte. I do have one, and after using him several times find he's subpar. If you need a figure that has From the Shadows to deploy outside your deployment zone, the Freikorps Trapper can do the same, and has a better ranged attack (longer range and can fire twice instead of the Acolyte's once at full range or twice at a penalty).

Have not played with Blessed of December, but in theory, she looks like a good addition to the crew to deal with the glacial movement that the Cult of December usually suffers from.

Edited by A_Hamster
Added comment