Mining Town Demo Board Project

Antiquitas

In a right triangle, the cathetus (originally from the Greek word Κάθετος; plural: catheti), commonly known as a leg, is either of the sides that are adjacent to the ...

In other words it has a nice pair of legs!

Very clever idea! I like it. It will be very impressive - basement 4", ground floor 4", first floor 4", roof 2"? - 14" high! 8x8x14 Triangular. Ummmm!

PS I had to look it up - it's all Greek to me.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a right triangle, the cathetus (originally from the Greek word Κάθετος; plural: catheti), commonly known as a leg, is either of the sides that are adjacent to the ...

In other words it has a nice pair of legs!

Very clever idea! I like it. It will be very impressive - basement 4", ground floor 4", first floor 4", roof 2"? - 14" high! 8x8x14 Triangular. Ummmm!

PS I had to look it up - it's all Greek to me.

so it's like Cactus - Cacti... ok..

it won't be as high as that.. the basement will share the hight of 4" with the ground floor. the entrace to the building will be 4 cm from the ground (stairs leading to the entrance) with a basement going down the 4cm (and being in one part of the top down view high 10cm - the full highth of the ground floor) and the ground floor being another 6 cm high (in the other part of the building.. the first floor will be 4" and the roof - 3" because it will have a small shed on top of it - elevator engine room... just an idea - governor doesn't want to walk up the stairs, right?..)

Just started construction of the tower:

Tower%252520Sketch.jpg

Unlike most of the other structures on the boards, this one will be steel girders and steel plating so it stands out more. It is not going to be fixed to the board so that it can be moved about' but is intended to sit next to the Guild House.

I am making the basic shape out of 3mm ply shapes that slot together and when glued should be strong enough. Then all the other bits will be added.

So this is the basic framework...

IMG_2811.JPG

And hopefully it should look something like this soon...

sem%252520Tower.jpg

coming up tomorrow... just had the pics taken (my scanner broke so I had to do this somewhat more complicated)..

just a thought about the semaphore:

how will it be powered / moved? did you have something steampunky in mind or just by hand? cause it'd be cool to have some sort of steam engine there on top (if it didn't take a lot of space for gaming)

This one is going to be low-tech ( hand powered), but thinking of making a Clacks tower at some stage - could be cool - for a later board...No 5 or 6 possibly.

There is still so much to do for this board that I think I aught to keep it (reasonably) simple.

Just hoping that when I get home from work tonight that I will have the energy and inspiration to preform great deeds and accomplish miniature miracles...but at the moment I think I would just be happy to go home.

The second board is finally coming together now and the Beam Engine is stuck on, the river is painted and varnished, the feed pipe and mine water outlet is on and the grill is covering the sluice-way.

The steps up to the top of the coal bunker are painted and flocked and a bit more flocking has been done on the walls and around the board.

So I wanted to see what it will look like with the top floor on the Guild House...

This is going to be all timber clad and have two rooms - one is the Marshal's Office and the other is the Counting Room, with a safe and desk etc.

There is a long balcony at the front which will have the 'shop' sign on, but I have decided to put another balcony at the side to bring that corner of the board into play.

Access to the top floor is by steps that will go over the cells.

The Roof slopes gently to the back but falls sharply at the front and partially overhangs the balcony.

There will be a large desk, bookcase, chairs and a stove in the Marshal's Office and probably paintings, maps and charts etc. on the walls.

The Windows to the Counting Room will have mesh in them but the Office window will be 'glass'.

Here are the original sketches:

Guild%252520House%252520Sketch%2525201.jpg

And this is the progress so far:

IMG_2813.JPG

IMG_2814.JPG

All the walls and floor are made out of 3mm ply for strength but will be covered with boards and stained on the outside of the walls and painted on the inner walls.

The roof will be made in one piece, as will the staircase, and all three sections can be taken off to allow access to the various parts.

The second board is finally coming together now and the Beam Engine is stuck on, the river is painted and varnished, the feed pipe and mine water outlet is on and the grill is covering the sluice-way.

The steps up to the top of the coal bunker are painted and flocked and a bit more flocking has been done on the walls and around the board.

pictures or it didn't happen ;)

joking aside, it would be great if you could take a couple of photos of those details and a couple of the whole board (I found that you can upload to your account (not on Wyrd gallery, but on picassa or photobucket or others) big/huge pictures and the wyrd forum resizes them to 600 x sth so when you click on a photo you get it in it's real size...

...the Counting Room, with a safe and desk etc.

Access to the top floor is by steps that will go over the cells.

The Roof slopes gently to the back but falls sharply at the front and partially overhangs the balcony.

The Windows to the Counting Room will have mesh in them but the Office window will be 'glass'.

The roof will be made in one piece, as will the staircase, and all three sections can be taken off to allow access to the various parts.

detachable parts - always cool :)

what will you be using for glass? in my projects I use the foil for overhead projector. It is cool because I can even print on it and get murals...

the overhanging roof on the balcony, be careful there so all the 30mm models can pass through. I know that Sebastian will have no trouble, but taller models like Seamus might (judging by the photo you took - especially if the roof falls sharply)

stairs going to the first floor. on the sketch you made them in two parts. one going from back to front up to half the hight and then from front to the back. will you make it so? or will it be just from front to back all the way? from the pic of the house it looks to me as if the angle of the roof of the cell is just about right for the stairs - and that would make them in one piece..

also, from the movies I seem to recall that those western buildings had quite steep stairs:

Western_Saloon_8.jpg9bbe1b0d-bf20-461f-a782-44dc56dcf41eLarge.jpg

this kind of safe?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxx-W1XpuIIjW6WDWG4dPp_IfouAz3KwoGGOeZ9TFbFSm_Wdmz

Edited by Demonn Agram

Sorry about the lack of pics...I have had very little time this week to do much and have a hectic weekend ahead to get things finished ready for the start of the arena build next week.

On the good side, I had an afternoon off yesterday and took the boards up to Mike for his (late) Christmas / birthday present.

Mike did a demo game with the two boards together and they worked well - and even had a Mature Nephilim fighting behind the shop counter at one stage.

IMG_2827.JPG

The only slightly awkward place was on the mining board where you go down the steps and under the drop ramp - enough room to place the figures but as the rail-truck was under the ramp it was tricky getting your hand in.

Not a big problem, and the truck moves anyway.

The lines of sight were great, and even though with the two boards together it is only 3' by 18" it didn't feel restrictive for a 35 Soulstone game.

And taking pics was fun:

IMG_2820.JPG

Mature Nephilim 'carrying' Primordial Magic

IMG_2818.JPG

Into the Fray

IMG_2824.JPG

Lelu vs. The Steamborg Executioner

IMG_2828.JPG

Mature Nephilim down to 1 wound thanks to the Convict Gunslinger.

IMG_2829.JPG

Lilith's lucky escape - saved by the Black Joker!

The Mining Board is completely ready for action, but the Beam Engine board is back here for more work.

Just got to make some time...

(I found that you can upload to your account (not on Wyrd gallery, but on picassa or photobucket or others) big/huge pictures and the wyrd forum resizes them to 600 x sth so when you click on a photo you get it in it's real size...

Great idea! I will have a play and see what I can do.

As for glass - i usually use 'blister pack' plastic but I do have some of the overhead projector plastic but never thought of printing onto it - nice one!

The roof overhang is steep but short and there is 2.5 inches from the lowest point to the balcony (which is 60mm wide) so there should be plenty of room.

The stairs were redesigned to be a single (steep) run - very similar to your pic but sitting on top of the cells.

As for the safe - great pic - I hadn't really designed it yet other than it was going to be big and bulky.

Thanks for all the ideas - Cheers!

just one thing about the plastic and printing. not all the printers can do it. what I do most of the time is that I print the windows onto a regular piece of paper then photocopy it onto the plastic. that way it surely won't smudge...

great pics! it must have been some fight... one thing, being a Ramos player (among other) how did the Steamborg fare with Lelu?

it must have been some fight... one thing, being a Ramos player (among other) how did the Steamborg fare with Lelu?

The Steamborg Executioner was standing there, arms spread wide.

He cried out "Why me?", having just been badly mauled by the Mature Nephilim, and not even given the chance to activate and vent his displeasure as there were more pressing matters to occupy the concerns of Ramos.

Lelu saw an opportunity and jumped in, claws slashing, and before the poison even had a chance to run through his cybernetic veins the Executioner was nothing more than a pile of scrap.

An ignominious end - he came to the party and didn't get a chance to dance!

IMG_2825.JPG

Exit Executioner!

Edited by Antiquitas
Added pic

I know what you're talking about. I finally finished my hobby room (well, almost, that is...) after 2 months and I even got some spare time to finish my Von Schills (I'll post pics soon in Demonn's Lair)...

Now I might even consider going back to terrain building for my board.

Anyway, good job (as always) and looking forward to more pics...

so yes, I ran a demo game for Chris on the boards there over the weekend, and I have to say, the boards look even better in person than they do online.

here are a few photos of the game and the board:

DSC_0158.JPG

DSC_0159.JPG

DSC_0160.JPG

DSC_0161.JPG

DSC_0162.JPG

DSC_0163.JPG

DSC_0164.JPG

DSC_0165.JPG

DSC_0166.JPG

DSC_0167.JPG

and the man himself, wearing a jedi hat:

DSC_0168.JPG

Edited by Tograth
picassa picture uploading and linking sucks monkeyballs.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been all play and no work in the mining town for the last two weeks.

The boards have been at Mike's so that he had a chance to use them before he goes off gallivanting around South Africa,

seeing relations and demoing Puppet Wars and Malifaux.

They are going off on Monday...

so Sunday we're getting some games in and then the boards are coming back here for work to continue!

Lots still to do, so watch this space.