Mining Town Demo Board Project

Antiquitas

One good bit of news - Mike is still away so I still have some time - could be Orthodox presents?

so it's not you who has to convert, but Mike? :D

it looks amazing! one thing I was wondering, with all the furniture inside the buildings, did you leave space for the bases (if so how much)?

in my project (outskirts of malifaux) I tried to design my buildings and furniture (in the future at this point) so that the models can go inside and move around the rooms and between the tables, beds, cupboards etc..

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to say that I spent hours making plans for the layout of the building so that I could maximise that available space to ensure the optimum gaming experience.

Instead I cut out pieces of paper to represent the various rooms. Laid them on the board and trimmed them to fit. Then I drew in the walls and moved figures about on it to see where I wanted windows and furniture and where walls had to be changed. Once I had the best compromise i sellotaped it together and used it as a template.

My concept for the building is that it was built to have 'humans' in it so there would be adequate room for 30mm bases, a fair amount of room for 40mm bases and 50mm bases can fit in parts (with limited movement).

Most doorways are 40mm wide, but if an entrance is too narrow (and there is adequate space for the base on the other side) or a door is shut it would require one AP to get through or squeeze in.

If a space is too small for a base you can't go in there!

Here is an extremely rough sketch of the dimensions:

Guild%252520House%252520Store%252520dimensions%252520-%252520Copy.jpg

I think I have managed to get a reasonable balance for the limited floor space to have interesting encounters - at least I hope so...

nice answer :)

I just asked because in your first photos (of the mine) there was always a mini (usually freikorpsmen or Von Schill) somewhere , while in these new ones (of the jail and store) there is no so I could not gauge the scale of the building itself...

I have a similar method. I use a paper with a milimetre mash and I draw everything in 1:1 scale or 1:2 scale (depending on the size of the building). Then I use the bases to move around the drawn objects. If needed I change some measures and recheck, if not I just measure and write the measures for use in building itself...

will there be some jugs of XXX moonshine on some of the shelves (or will it be under the counter :D)? or some bottles of Soulstone Gin? :)

Wood glue IS a lot stronger (and I use it when fixing bits together) but in Ireland it is stupidly expensive - most things are here! - so large tubs of PVA do the job. I haven't noticed a difference in shell strength on boards when I have used wood glue mix though.

According to several wood working forums I have frequented in the past (Specifically the Music Intrument Makers Forum) PVA and wood glue are the same thing, just different colors.

I had heard the same thing about PVA and woodglue, but even with PVA you seem to get some decent ones and some pretty useless stuff - so I use the cheap stuff 90% of the time and the woodglue if I really need something to stay put. It's probably just branding but I'd rather drive a Ferrari than a Scoda.

Common and relatively inexpensive elmer's white glue works wonders. Elmer's wood glue is actually usually less expensive because you can buy it in bulk sizes, but it is basically the same thing.

just one thing sticks out. why are there cells in the store? keep the shoplifters at (e)bay?

or did I miss something..

The Guild own the mine (and the town) and try to control everything.

The store is just the ground floor of the Guild house. Up top is the Marshal's Office and 'Counting Room', and of course the Marshal wouldn't have riff-raff staying upstairs so the cells are down below.

As you will see later the cells are not the most luxurious, in fact suffer badly from damp, as they only have grills on the ceilings so that the Marshal can 'view' his guests as he walks up the stairs to his offices.

Justice is swift - so inmates don't stay very long anyway - and when the mine shift finishes in the evening it is always a good time for a public hanging.

hey, first of all, Christmas is still long way ahead :D

second, scr*w the deadlines when dealing with perfection. Art can't be rushed :)

It would be a pity to have come so far and to just rush the job. see my Malifaux table, I haven't worked at it since summer - I'm currently moving in with my girlfriend and redecorating and refurbishing my appartment. I will get my hobby room, but unfortunately it has to come after the bedroom and the kitchen - for what reason I just can't fathom :D so the whole project is on the backburner for now... even painting minis comes difficult in this mess of an appartment... I digress (again), what I wanted to say is:

TAKE YOUR TIME. it is worth it. and everybody WILL be glad you took your time in the end...

First of all Congratulations - she must be a wonderful girl and very understanding. Hopefully she has caught the Malifaux madness and is handy with a paintbrush or a craftknife otherwise your boards will be sorely missed.

In the meantime make sure you draw up detailed plans and 'play-test' every room before attempt any building project or paintjob!

Keep us posted and pics would be nice!

First of all Congratulations - she must be a wonderful girl and very understanding. Hopefully she has caught the Malifaux madness and is handy with a paintbrush or a craftknife otherwise your boards will be sorely missed.

she is and she hasn't...yet... :)

In the meantime make sure you draw up detailed plans and 'play-test' every room before attempt any building project or paintjob!

Keep us posted and pics would be nice!

will do... hopefully sometime during January I'll be able to continue with the Outskirts...

back to your project -> looking nice. and I love those photos from "within" the board - makes it look so realistic. When fighting on such scenic boards I love to take time and photograph every move - specially when something cool happens during the fight. just like storytelling.. actually more like reading a comic. :)

Frustrating week so far and working the next 3-4 days as well, but I been ticking away on a few little bits:

IMG_2807.JPG

The framework for the Semaphore / Watchtower is now underway. I have used 3mm Ply to give it strength but that won't be seen when the other bits are added.

I have also cut some steps into the bank so they can get up to the coal chute.

IMG_2808.JPG

The walls to the yard were made from scraps of 4mm MDF and attacked with an angle grinder! The paint scheme is the same as for the rocks but not as washes and very randomly applied to give more of a cut stone feel. A bit of static grass has been added to give some weathering and colour.

IMG_2809.JPG

Most of the doors are done now for the ground floor - all are made out of stirrers and matchsticks.

IMG_2810.JPG

Finally, the mine water outlet is nearly done - just a bit of touching up and add the feed pipe.

So now it's back to work and plan the next stage...

...and may you finish what you need by Christmas :D

you've actually made me rethink some of my buildings on my table. And although I can't work at it at the moment (moving in hustle and bustle), I have been busy designing the guild HQ (with a McMourning's office on the ground floor and a Governor's room on the first floor) and the Orphanage (cells in the basement, office on the ground floor and a huge dormitory on the first floor)... Thank you for that

edit: and I love your new Avatar. It's so you :)

It's Mike's birthday tomorrow so it's going 'as is' (with as much done tonight as possible - although I have to work 'til late today) but the second board will be coming home again for completion. Hopefully they will all be finished before Christmas (just not sure which one !).

I love the idea of the Guild HQ! Sounds impressive - but where's the sketches?

How big is it going to be 'cause that is a lot to fit in.

Can't wait to see the designs.

As for the Avatar - I'm not really 'Grumpy', but 'Frustrated' wasn't available!

sketches are at home. I'll post them as soon as I can and let you know so you can comment :)

it will be placed in the corner of my table - so it'll be a cross-section of a building - so you can move inside the building without having to disassemble and assemble the building itself (in another words it will be in one piece :D). it will have a triangular footprint with two cathetuses (is it spelled like that?) 20cm long. so quite large. the storeys will be 10cm high so you can manouvre inside (even if you have large hands :) )

the Orphanage will be 15x20cm. Both buildings will be built in the same style (going for victorian - who knows how it'll end up...)

as far as the Avatar is concerned I noticed it on one of your previous posts entitled Work stops play! - so it looked appropriately $$$$$$$$ed off with work :D