Malifaux Fanzine?

Absolution Black

Isaac- I can take on the Editor responsibilities.I have a degree in English and have been published some 30 times; Comics, short stories, articles, essays etc.... in multiple Genres including The Bellower, and White Dwarf.

As a matter of putting in my 3 cents an all Guild theme for issue one might be too exclusive. Perhaps we can have that as the cover article and central focus but diversify a bit.

Maybe monthly or quarterly features/articles. Which begs the next question; What is the publishing frequency?

I would also recommend asking the form admins if we can have a secure area just for the 'zin staff so we're not discussing the entire content in public...

Eric J

Yay editor!

We can ask, but I don't think that will happen. If we need that, we could easily create a private wiki or just do an email chain.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Along with a theme per issue, I think some recurring segments could be valuable and help with the organizational issue.

For example, one of the really talented painters might do a segment on painting for every article. This way he knows what he's in for every time and may even do some in advance.

Depending on how often it's needed, I might be able to offer my services as a painting guy (although I'd question the term 'talented' :P:). Certainly could do one for every quarter, every month may be a bit trickier given my rather random working schedule and hours! And if someone with more talent steps forward, I'll quite happily sit and learn instead!

Edited by Mako

@ Justin- Apologies, I didn't see your post until after I responded regarding the Editor "position".

You're absolutely welcome to it. Didn't mean to step on toes. I'll be happy with a recurring feature or some such...

Eric J

Oh hell no!

I don't do any more work than I have to. It's all yours. :D

(unless you don't want it either. honestly we could probably both do what we can, another pair of eyes never hurts)

Good idea for a private thread we do need to get this figured out! I want this one up though so if anyone is still interested in contributing they need a way to get at us.

Thank you for picking up responsibilities as editor Krimsonscythe! Once we get some articles and such we will have to stay in a bit closer contact then just a forum.

I was thinking every 2 months or so as far as release. That way it gives us plenty of time as everyone has different schedules.' Every quarter just seems too little for so much going on in malifaux

I would love a copy of the UK GT review and I wish there were events like that around me (small town here) And did you find out who won? I wonder if there is a way to contact them...that would be an awesome interview!

As for the theme it doesnt have to be strictly guild related. Just kinda in that zone. Obviously gotta talk about what factions and masters are good against guild and the like so it wont be too focused.

-still looking for game or store spotlight

-player spotlight (I would like to do this one if no one cares)

-reviews

-previews (just a few though...gotta leave em wanting more)

-artist spotlight a few people have thrown their work out as far as painted guys goes and I want to try to get a list for some serious candidates on this one. With HIGH RES PHOTOS! nothing grainy.

Also if someone is willing to do an article for every issue thats fine as they can have their own section or page on each issue specific to them. But this one will just be who is interested. i know some people have already shown interest.

As for size design Im going to make up some grid options this week and im going with the rules manual size 8.5 x 5.5. If this were to get printed (somehow hopefully) it would be a great size.

Any other ideas how we can all communicate privately yet still interest people in helping?

I might create a thread and do an interview for some writing I want to do myself.

Also any article writing real names are prefered

Edit @ Justin just read your post on the last page and a game theory/design sounds awesome! I know I still have a ton to learn about the game. And any puppet wars stuff sounds great too (leave em wanting more though)

Edited by JisaacT

As far as privacy, you can easily set up a wiki on wikispaces (it's particularly easy if you already have an account, and I seem to remember adding you to pullmyfinger recently).

http://www.wikispaces.com/

Just go to your dashboard and hit "create wiki." Set the privacy settings so only members can see it and invite whomever you want. If you need any help...I have plenty of experience with wikispaces. But it's really very easy.

I'd make it, but the creator has extra options (you can add/ban people, etc) which you should probably have if you're heading up the project.

Then just use this thread (or create another) to recruit people.

I'd go with rules manual size, personally. But, that's only my opinion with no real reason. Any size will do :P

Rules manual size sounds good to me. I'm one of JIsaacT's friends, and a fellow graphic designer. I'm hoping he'll let me help him out here and there on this project.

I can write up my experiences of the UK GT, if you like? And I'll happily review the new models Wyrd are releasing.

And I'll take photos for my next Bat-rep, if you so wish!

Through The Breach?

Through The Breach is definitely a cool name. :) I think it could work pretty well.

We could have minimal costs, just to cover the printing and distribution.

Or, we could ask Wyrd for funding if we really think we're doing well XD

Best bet for now is not to get it printed until we're sure, I think.

The instant we start charging any money for any part of this, doesn't matter how little it is, we will need to make sure we have all the proper licences to sell as well as 100% of Wyrd's permission to do so.

Will you be wanting a drawing for the cover? And depending on if you are looking for B&W or color will determine how much I can contribute per issue. Often coloring a drawing takes as much if not more time than drawing it (of course this is on a case by case basis.)

A custom cover would really set this apart vs using their artwork and just re-texting it. Just my thought...

I'd have said at least to start with you'd probably be looking at a free pdf, that way you get global circulation without any costs.

Also, starting after the holidays would be handy - I'm away from my painting table at the moment so can't make any progress on any article stuff!

QUick question - would people prefer something that follows one model from start to finish each time showing all the techniques for that one piece, or would it be better if I had a group of models and showed one technique applied in various ways each time?

Things like skin tones, metals, painting types of cloth, that kind of thing. The same models would keep reappearing each time so you'd get each article building on top of the last, but I'd be able to show more variations of each method.

I would strongly suggest a PDF. I worked on "The Bellower" (An Ezine dedicated to WHFB Ogre-centric) for a bit which was a downloadable and its popularity is growing with each issue. Its free and GLOBAL which I think is most important at this point.

I also think we need to departmentalize the 'zine eg;

Editors Note

Recurring art article(s)

Recurring Tactics article(s)

Feature article (Main article perhaps on the issue theme)

Spotlight (Can be an interview with a Malifaux staffer or hobbyist)

We might want to do something fun like an, "Ask Lady Justice" page each issue. Hobbyists send in questions for "Lady Justice" to answer. We make it tongue in cheek and answer with a decidedly Lady Justice tone...

This is not comprehensive just a suggested structure....

Eric J